Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolgirl arrested for texting in class (America of course)

Options
  • 18-02-2009 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Ah you really gotta love some of the stuff that comes outta that country :D
    FEBRUARY 17--A 14-year-old Wisconsin girl who refused to stop texting during a high school math class was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, according to police. The teenager was busted last Wednesday at Wauwatosa East High School after she ignored a teacher's demand that she cease texting. The girl, whose name we have redacted from the below Wauwatosa Police Department report, initially denied having a phone when confronted by a school security officer. However, the phone was located after the girl was frisked by a female cop. The Samsung Cricket, the police report noted, was recovered "from the buttocks area" of the teenager. The student was issued a criminal citation for disorderly conduct, which carried "a bail of $298," and had her phone confiscated. The girl, who was barred from school property for a week, is scheduled for an April 20 court appearance on the misdemeanor rap. (4 pages)

Police report after link:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0217092samsung1.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Pathetic really.

Probably had 3 cop cars turn up for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

a fairly restrained response in fairness, she wuda been jailed for life in china, that is untill one of her organs matched that of a rich terminal patient of the near by hospital, not for her den but a slice an dice and a shallow grave

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

kujosHeist wrote: »
    a fairly restrained response in fairness, she wuda been jailed for life in china, that is untill one of her organs matched that of a rich terminal patient of the near by hospital, not for her den but a slice an dice and a shallow grave
    No you mean saudi arabia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A bit mad alright... there must be more to the story. How did this happen exactly...

911 operator: "State your emergency please"

Teacher: "I need the police, I NEED THE POLICE!!! I have a student in my class who refuses to get off her cell phone"

911 operator: " 'mam I need you to stay calm, can you stay on the line, I have a police car on the way"

Teacher: "She just sent another text... oh no... *inaudible* *line dies*"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

havent heard of organ theft in saudi arabia but your i wouldnt rule it out, there more a fan of gang raping girls there for minor misdeameaners and stoning them to death if you reported it for being a slut, but hey they've got all de oil so who cares aslong as they sell abit to the U.S. and sanction local invasions

p.s. (sry for turnin ur funny thread politcal!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

havent heard of organ theft in saudi arabia but your i wouldnt rule it out, there more a fan of gang raping girls there for minor misdeameaners and stoning them to death if you reported it for being a slut, but hey they've got all de oil so who cares aslong as they sell abit to the U.S. and sanction local invasions

What what in the butt?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They didnt just confiscate it why?
    (America of course)

Pointless additive, but

My tax dollars at work though... :rolleyes: I hate everything my country's education system has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

I hate threads like this.

As if we have no idiots here in Ireland, like.

She refused to hand the phone over, she disturbed the class, she is an idiot. Are the teachers stupid for being heavy handed ? Were we there ? No. Can't really pass judgement, can we ?

Wreaks of tabloid sensationalism "omg she got sent to prison for texting !!", whereas in reality she probably threw a tantrum, tried to hit a few people and put on a sex show.

Or maybe not.

We don't know.

Thats my point.

Threads like this are stupid. Lets use this one to talk about fish. I like goldfish, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you posting from a mobile? We don't do txtspk on Boards.... :D

Not your ornery onager

Jeebus wrote: »

She refused to hand the phone over, she disturbed the class, she is an idiot. Are the teachers stupid for being heavy handed ? Were we there ? No. Can't really pass judgement, can we ?

Wreaks of tabloid sensationalism "omg she got sent to prison for texting !!", whereas in reality she probably threw a tantrum, tried to hit a few people and put on a sex show.

Or maybe not.

We don't know.

Thats my point.

Threads like this are stupid. Lets use this one to talk about fish. I like goldfish, myself.
    Normally I'd agree, but I'm so fed up of talking about the recession at the moment. Slow news week: bring on the underage pregnancy and bum-texting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

It is a symptom of teachers being afraid to go near or touch a student for fear of a lawsuit etc. They are not allowed rule the classroom so you end up with wasting the police time like this.

There is a balance somewhere between this ridiculous state and full blown corporal punishment and it needs to be found. A teacher should be able to confiscate a phone without fear of any repercussion.

buynow wrote: »
    It is a symptom of teachers being afraid to go near or touch a student for fear of a lawsuit etc. They are not allowed rule the classroom so you end up with wasting the police time like this.

There is a balance somewhere between this ridiculous state and full blown corporal punishment and it needs to be found. A teacher should be able to confiscate a phone without fear of any repercussion.
    Look, the teacher was a fcuking idiot. I used to be in that situation so I know how it went, a teacher will threaten you with some punishment (oooooh) then you call their bluff, until they bend over backwards to carry it out and then the teacher ends up making a bigger scene then the kid. I found myself in that situation more times than I care or am frankly able to count.

Then I came to Ireland. In that situation it was just "Get out of my classroom: You have detention on Friday." No circus. See, the american teachers want to give you an Out - they want you to sit back down in your sit and obey, and you wont be punished. But the problem with that is what kid is going to look like a wuss?

Think about it like this: if the teacher had a gun and said IM GONNA SHOOT YOU! I'll do it! I will! Just sit back down! - Then you'd feel like they werent serious, like theyre afraid to do it. Instead (Irish method) BAM. Any other takers? You? BAM. - I fcuking loved it. So quick, so effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Overheal wrote: »
    Think about it like this: if the teacher had a gun and said IM GONNA SHOOT YOU! I'll do it! I will! Just sit back down! - Then you'd feel like they werent serious, like theyre afraid to do it. Instead (Irish method) BAM. Any other takers? You? BAM. - I fcuking loved it. So quick, so effective.
    What school did you attend? Most of my teachers were pussies.

She hid it in her knickers? Too bad she didn't sit on it. *snap*

Lirange wrote: »
    What school did you attend? Most of my teachers were pussies.
    I guarantee you none of your teachers gave you nearly as much leverage as an american teacher would. Whatever asinine method/laws/rules of engagement they are seemingly bound by give the student way too much power, quite plainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thankfully I finished up school in 98 when mobile phones were only really beginning to scourge this country.

Remember in the 80's you might see somebody(mostly on tv) with a gettoblaster(sp) on their shoulder wearing stupid clothes and stupid hair.

Look around you now. The gettoblaster(sp) has now turned into a mobile phone and the kids still have stupid clothes and hair. Walking up and down the street blasting some nonsense of a 19 year old singing a song she thinks is her own but is actually a regurgated remix of a song from the 70's and 80's and she is the 2000th person to remix it.

Burn her at the stake. I would imagine it was not her first run in with school security. The fact they need school security rather than a wrinkly old man in a badly fitting suit like my school.

Wrinkly old man "Your late again young XXX"
    Me "What are you going to do about it old man?"
    * cue sounds of being bet up and down the halls of the school.

Those were the days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Pathetic really.

Probably had 3 cop cars turn up for it too.

One to frisk her, one to keep a gun on her in case she runs and another to watch their backs, makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Jeebus wrote: »

Or maybe not.

We don't know.

Thats my point.

Prefer tropical myself.

She was charged with disorderly conduct. Disrupting a class by lying about having a phone and not handing it over is hardly disorderly conduct.
    Berty wrote: »

Burn her at the stake. I would imagine it was not her first run in with school security. The fact they need school security rather than a wrinkly old man in a badly fitting suit like my school.

They needed security to search her because the teachers aren't allowed. And then needed a female security person to search her because a male one couldn't stick his hand down her jocks to get the phone they knew was vibrating against her arse, possibly.

Blue Pallett

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And then needed a female security person to search her because a male one couldn't stick his hand down her jocks to get the phone they knew was vibrating against her arse, possibly.

Always wondered about this: can a female guard frisk a fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

kowloon wrote: »
    Always wondered about this: can a female guard frisk a fella?

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

No idea tbh. I'd imagine they can though. Sounds just about sexist enough to be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

No idea tbh. I'd imagine they can though. Sounds just about sexist enough to be ok.

Doubt it very much, but to be honest who has been in the situation of only female guards being there and a search was needed, I know a while back a guard(male) decided to search a few of my friends for walking through an area but couldn't search the girls, kind of defeated the purpose...

Female cop searches you and find drugs.

All you say is

"Give them back or I will tell your superiors you touched my penis"

Works for women but substitute penis for whatever you like to call your lady bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

In my school they administer a €20 fine and make you wash windows for a week after school... I've never had mine taken off me though, even when I'm clearly texting. It's good to be the king :cool:

phasers wrote: »
    In my school they administer a €20 fine and make you wash windows for a week after school... I've never had mine taken off me though, even when I'm clearly texting. It's good to be the king :cool:

WARNING WARNING!!

Rebel without a cause

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

WARNING WARNING!!

Rebel without a cause

I've got a cause

to take down the corporations

My old school confiscate them until the parents came in, then the students(ones with half a brain, not many in the school) realised what they where doing wasn't legal, as soon as the school heard the word legal out of a students mouth laid a brick and gave it back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Some schools in America have a cop on premises for certain times fo the week as a security measure, so it might not be a case of ringing emergency services.

why she was arrested though, I've no idea.

Tell you one thing though, noone is going to be texting in that school for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

That's true but what have we got to show for ourselves?
    Ah you really gotta love some of the stuff that comes outta that country :D

Police report after link:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0217092samsung1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's true but what have we got to show for ourselves?
    good point.......ehh.........daniel o'donnell :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Serves her right.

Advertisement