Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we have remained British?

• 19-02-2009 4:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

OK, this is one that I've always wanted to put out there...

My distrust of "Eire" began after a visit to Kilmainham Gaol. I listened to an impassioned soliloquoy from our tour guide who, with a lump in her throat, told of a street urchin who was sentenced to a night in gaol for stealing a piece of boot polish in the year 1912. This happened during the British Occupation, of course. This call to arms against the ghastly Brits was administered at the exact same time as the Industrial Schools Holocaust was coming to light. Innocent children were taken away from their mothers and subjected to the most unimaginable torture and rape at the hands of Our Sacred Irish State, for actually no crime other than they fell out of the constrictive norms of 1950s Eire. I cannot tell you how absolutely furious I was at this cheap, tawdry, tacky, tasteless, vulgar, self-serving flag-waving.

So, were we usurped by a legitimate government or would we have been better off the way we were? The Kilmainham Propaganda makes me want to question and disbelieve every single, solitary word our government wants to feed to us.

"The jockey may have changed, but the lash remains the same"

Here endeth the Rant.

By the way, I am of ancient Irish stock and my family are ardent Fianna Failers. I have been disgusted by Fiann Fail since I was a child. The sleazy greasinesss of FF is without parallel. Our local TD was Liam Lawlor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Jamfan wrote: »
    By the way, I am of ancient Irish stock and my family are ardent Fianna Failers.

Well then it's all your familys fault. Thanks a bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Don't make me poop in your porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oh God, here we go...

IBTL, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

HELL NO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

T'was quite a rant, sorry.

But.. I've always wanted to put it out to a broad audience of peers. The Brits did dreadful things to us, but also to their own. Life had less value back then. Anyway, the Free State executed multiples more at Kilmainham than the British did.

OK... should I put my neck in the noose myself? hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

KingLoser wrote: »
    HELL NO.
    BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SAID SO.

Just because everyone says they hate the brits and the 800 years crap which is passed down from generation to generation and is now basically just commonly accepted without thought.

Think about it before answering.

/Not british and from a country previously occupied by the brits

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SAID SO.

Just because everyone says they hate the brits and the 800 years crap which is passed down from generation to generation and is now basically just commonly accepted without thought.

Think about it before answering.

/Not british and from a country previously occupied by the brits
    Or... having my own opinion-o?

You got all that from my two words? Don't project the insecurities of your own opinions on others plx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

This country deserves to be called Ireland and be independent of Britain....its people deserve to be Irish and continue to be..
    the British were unwanted from the beginning and their occupation led to mass oppression of Irish citizens but this is what you'd prefer? ..seriously our individuality, language, culture, and all entrenched Irish values deserve this freedom don't you agree?
    Bigger picture!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Jamfan wrote: »
    I listened to an impassioned soliloquoy from our tour guide who, with a lump in her throat, told of a street urchin who was sentenced to a night in gaol for stealing a piece of boot polish in the year 1912.

So what? You can't just go around stealing things. 1 night seems like a light enough punishment to me.
    And why the fuck would he steal boot polish anyway? Surely food would have been a better thing to steal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Not another one of these threads ...............NO !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BarneyisRight

Good old Britain....wait.I dont think we should of stayed in the Union mainly because we enjoy teh lulz too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If we remained British then we' all be importing British cars, watching British soaps and supporting British football teams. But we don't do that!

Oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

The home of witty banter here.

... and the last time I was in London and scoring a yummy gorgeous blonde Feltham babe... well now, that wouldn't have happened,seeing as how our vile politburo send us to bed at half-two.

By the way, who do these scummy FF cnuts think they are? They think they can pass laws and treat us like children.

One thing is for certain, if a FF member decides in the small hours that his thirst needs to be slaked, he will send a Garda car to collect enough to satiate. This is a well known phenomenen. Like I said I know how these scuzzy FF w@nkers operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

OP this topic has been done to death before and only brings out the worst in people.

Closed by your friendly neighbourhood politburo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement