Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stem Cells - yae or nay?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No
    Thats why the poll is a straw man: If you agree with any kind of stem cell research, then you have to say yes, because its lying to say no.

Heh, that didn't even occur to me until I saw CathyMoran's post! :o

And there was me thinking it was great that no-one was opposed to embryonic stem cell research. Oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No
    You come to after hours for a serious conversation?:confused:

Do you not know what AH is for? Many serious conversations have been held here. You just need to open your eyes.

Look at the poll, wow...

I am all for stem cell research :) Not too happy about complete cloning of humans though, weirded out by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

No
    I'd swear I saw a poster for a debate about stem cell research involving Youth Defence taking place in UCC tonight. I checked my student e-mail there and it said it was being held by the student for life society but didn't say whether or not Youth Defence would be there.

Had a look at their website, they seem like some bunch of tossers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

didn't vote because there isn't an option for non-embryonic stem cell research

I really hate flawed polls , as the result is inaccurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No
    We must remember an embryo is a full human being with the same right to life as anyone on this earth. Thus, any procedure that injures or kills an embryo for research is a murder and an assault of a human being.

Taken from post #31

Does anyone agree with the bolded? Is that the whole ethical problem with this research?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

No
    first of all, I voted yes. I'd be in favour of stem cell research, embryonic and adult cells.

I'm no expert but as far as i know, embryos are a by-product of IVF treatment, these excess embyros are disposed of "ethically" at the moment.. whatever that means. It is these cells that researchers want access to as far as i know.

There is concern even amongst the research community that were stem cell research legalised then embryonic stem cells would be produced deliberately for the purposes of research... something that may be considered as ethically wrong by people in the middle ground.

T

No
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Taken from post #31

Does anyone agree with the bolded? Is that the whole ethical problem with this research?

I don't agree with the bolded and yes it pretty much is the whole ethical problem.

T

No

I am all for stem cell research :) Not too happy about complete cloning of humans though, weirded out by that.

Ummmm... identical twins are clones of one another, no difference..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

No
    Would prefer to see the use of pig stem cells rather than human ones but whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No
    tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Ummmm... identical twins are clones of one another,
    err, no they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Regardless of views on embryonic stem cell research, the entire discipline shouldn't be thrown out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

No
    I was a bit torn voting for this, I'm voting yayy for stem cells, but that is a really nice turtle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No
    The pro life side (and i mean the ones with the biggest mouths, not all) appear to have created this view of an evil scientist kisnapping pregnant women and cutting them open and murdering the occupant while speaking in tongues but the realisty is that the embryos they use are going to be trown out anyway. As someone pointed out earlier, they're not coming back to life and putting them to efficient use is extremely sensible.

Adult stem cells are much more developed then an embryos and it's therefore harder to reach conclusions and medical findings. And I'm also one who won't settle for "most" cures "eventually". I'd rather see them as soon as possible before more people die than they have to.

The pro life/choice argument doesn't even come into it. Neither does religion. It has absolutely nothing to do with abortion which is a completely different topic. Nobody is killing babies, nobody is stopping people having babies, nobody is preventing the wanted birth of children in ANY way whatsoever! It's about medicine, advances in healthcare and helping people have a chance at a good full life which everyone has a right to. How they spend it is up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No
    yerayeah wrote: »
    I'd swear I saw a poster for a debate about stem cell research involving Youth Defence taking place in UCC tonight. I checked my student e-mail there and it said it was being held by the student for life society but didn't say whether or not Youth Defence would be there.

Had a look at their website, they seem like some bunch of tossers!

I would have gone to that debate if it was being held by another society, but I don't want to show up at anything that the fcuking Students for Life society is responsible for.
    I doubt it was a real debate anyway: if the pro-life side were hosting it, you can bet the anti-stem cell people (Smith and Prentice) got more time to air their views.
    Who did they invite to speak on behalf of the pro-stem cell research side? The President of UCC. I mean FFS! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Attended thier event this evening at NUIM

The speaker they had 'lined up' to debate against declined to attend (as they said - 'because he was afraid of their resounding success at UCC') - so I can only assume they either mis-represented themselves to him, or left it until the last minute reveal their affiliation.

Prentice was there, but we didnt stay. Awful waste, and the introductory speaker was a complete idiot.

Walked out after discovering that it was going ahead as an 'information' session rather than debate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement