Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Neos Pro computer Feedback?

• 20-05-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience or views on the Giant Neos Pro ANT Plus Compatible Cycle Computer? Any pros or cons? Compatible with Strava?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Yes, I have it and I have a lot to say about it. :D

1. Loaded with functions - hr (with separate sensor), cadence (same), power (same), temperature, gradient, saving data every 5 seconds, mninmum, maximum & average values of almost everything and much more. Probably the best combination of number of functions for that price.
    2. Attached manual is useless - you can find much better on the internet.
    3. Software to read and analyse the data is for windows only (major problem for me, I even wrote a letter to giant about it) and it's beta quality. Usable, but with some small issues. Giant don't want to release the spec how the device is communicating with PC, so if you're linux/mac user - bad luck.
    4. You need a separate dock to connect it to your PC (another 20 euro)
    5. It takes a while to get used to how to use all functions. I still didn't master it!
    6. I use it with garmin speed & cadence sensor mounted on the back wheel - works without any problems.
    7. Works fine with garmin hr and giant hr (both are ant+ compatible)

Summary: probably worth the money, but you need windows to use it properly. Hard to operate without reading manual a few times!

P.S. I don't use strava. There are some data export options in the RideSync (xls, plain text and fit file), but I don't know what strava can accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Yes, I have it and I have a lot to say about it. :D

1. Loaded with functions - hr (with separate sensor), cadence (same), power (same), temperature, gradient, saving data every 5 seconds, mninmum, maximum & average values of almost everything and much more. Probably the best combination of number of functions for that price.
    2. Attached manual is useless - you can find much better on the internet.
    3. Software to read and analyse the data is for windows only (major problem for me, I even wrote a letter to giant about it) and it's beta quality. Usable, but with some small issues. Giant don't want to release the spec how the device is communicating with PC, so if you're linux/mac user - bad luck.
    4. You need a separate dock to connect it to your PC (another 20 euro)
    5. It takes a while to get used to how to use all functions. I still didn't master it!
    6. I use it with garmin speed & cadence sensor mounted on the back wheel - works without any problems.
    7. Works fine with garmin hr and giant hr (both are ant+ compatible)

Summary: probably worth the money, but you need windows to use it properly. Hard to operate without reading manual a few times!

P.S. I don't use strava. There are some data export options in the RideSync (xls, plain text and fit file), but I don't know what strava can accept.

Thanks for the comprehensive post!

Windows is no problem for me but I believe its only Windows 7 and not 8.

Good to know that it works well with the ANT+ devices you specified but was looking to buy the full package (computer, sensors & HRM) so SHOULD all work together. Never the less to replace an item with a different brand is always welcome.

Am I interpreting correctly but do you need the docking station to connect to a PC? Is there no a USB port on the device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Allabaah wrote: »
    Thanks for the comprehensive post!

Windows is no problem for me but I believe its only Windows 7 and not 8.

Good to know that it works well with the ANT+ devices you specified but was looking to buy the full package (computer, sensors & HRM) so SHOULD all work together. Never the less to replace an item with a different brand is always welcome.

Am I interpreting correctly but do you need the docking station to connect to a PC? Is there no a USB port on the device?

Correct, no usb on the device: that's the usb dock: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/en-GB/gear/product/giant.neos.pro.docking.station/574/50102/

The dock is a USB-to-UART converter, so the transfer is slow (it's not a big problem)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89256286

I can't find the link to download the software...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Correct, no usb on the device: that's the usb dock: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/en-GB/gear/product/giant.neos.pro.docking.station/574/50102/

The dock is a USB-to-UART converter, so the transfer is slow (it's not a big problem)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89256286

I can't find the link to download the software...

Ah .. I can see the UART connectors on the docking station. I wasn't planning on buying that but now it seems useless without it.

I will swing up to the Giant Shop and see the kit first hand. I'm beginning to lean away from it.

Advertisement