Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla 1.5 problems

Options
  • 24-03-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,
    As I don't know much about building websites myself could any one tel me how much work is involve to move my website from joomla 1.5 to Wordpress or up to date joomla. Current platform gives me a lot of problems with security. Any idea on how much it could cost me? My web http://www.byrybak.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

byrybak wrote: »
    Hi,
    As I don't know much about building websites myself could any one tel me how much work is involve to move my website from joomla 1.5 to Wordpress or up to date joomla. Current platform gives me a lot of problems with security. Any idea on how much it could cost me? My web http://www.byrybak.com

You could get it migrated to Joomla 2.5 or 3 for around 200 euro including template migration. The migration of core files is pretty easy its just the template that's tough for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Wouldn't consider moving to Wordpress as that a whole new CMS.

I would recommend getting Joomla updated to version 2.5

This is probably a two step process with the upgrade to 1.6 first and then to 2.5
    It can be tricky with the template but as long as all data is backed up correctly then everything should be fine. If you are looking for a quote give me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

My impression is that you don't have more than 20 articles on the page? You'd think about setting a fresh joomla 2.5 installation, setting up a template (or asking someone to do it for you) and then do a copy & paste operation from the old page to the new one. I'm quite sure that on a small number of articles it will be way faster then the normal migration (1.5->1.6->2.5)

PrzemoF wrote: »
    My impression is that you don't have more than 20 articles on the page? You'd think about setting a fresh joomla 2.5 installation, setting up a template (or asking someone to do it for you) and then do a copy & paste operation from the old page to the new one. I'm quite sure that on a small number of articles it will be way faster then the normal migration (1.5->1.6->2.5)

If you are going to be getting a new template it will be much easier to do the migration to 2.5 and then add a new 2.5 template. I have migrated plenty of Joomla sites and most only take 20 minutes or so if you ignore the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Thanks for all advices, getting friend of mine to do it for me hopefully it will work.
    thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wouldn't consider moving to Wordpress as that a whole new CMS.

I would recommend getting Joomla updated to version 2.5

This is probably a two step process with the upgrade to 1.6 first and then to 2.5
    It can be tricky with the template but as long as all data is backed up correctly then everything should be fine. If you are looking for a quote give me a PM

I'm stuck in what seems like a Joomla upgrade hell. I manage a site for a community group, so we don't have lots of cash to throw around. Blacknight are telling me I have to upgrade to protect them from DDOS attacks. My techy skills are a bit dated, so I'm not hugely comfortable in Linux-like environments.

It seems that I have to use FTP to install the 'Joomla_1.5.0_to_1.5.26-Stable-Patch_Package' and then use the jUpgrade tool to bring me up to 2.5 - I'm getting quite nervous now.

Any suggestions are welcome

I got it finally done

I got it finally done

Well done. Did you do it yourself, or did you have to get help?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Well done. Did you do it yourself, or did you have to get help?

I got someone to do it for me, my problem was that template used on my site is not a standard template which means more work and more hassle:(

I'm stuck in what seems like a Joomla upgrade hell. I manage a site for a community group, so we don't have lots of cash to throw around. Blacknight are telling me I have to upgrade to protect them from DDOS attacks. My techy skills are a bit dated, so I'm not hugely comfortable in Linux-like environments.

It seems that I have to use FTP to install the 'Joomla_1.5.0_to_1.5.26-Stable-Patch_Package' and then use the jUpgrade tool to bring me up to 2.5 - I'm getting quite nervous now.

That's the general jist of it. Whats the template that you use?

A lot of hosts will do it for you for a small charge maybe €20 or €25 euro.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure but I think u can't go straight from 1,5 to 2,5 u need to update it to 1.6 first and then further on

You don't need to upgrade to 1.6. JUpgrade will go from 1.5 to 2.5

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    That's the general jist of it. Whats the template that you use?

A lot of hosts will do it for you for a small charge maybe €20 or €25 euro.
    We used the Beez template, though it was hacked a bit by a guy who isn't involved in the group anymore, just to add a little spice to the scenario.

Anyone know of Blacknight offer this upgrade service?
    I'm not sure but I think u can't go straight from 1,5 to 2,5 u need to update it to 1.6 first and then further on
    Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You don't need to upgrade to 1.6. JUpgrade will go from 1.5 to 2.5
    From the documentation I've seen, I have to upgrade to 1.5.26 first, and the jUpgrade will take it from there. It's that first stage of the upgrade that worries me - I wouldn't be too confident with FTP, so I'm worried about screwing something up, and not being able to recover.

All ideas welcome.

Advertisement