Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle, Nook, or Kobo?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking to buy one of the above and was looking for your thoughts. There's lots of threads on this about the board but people have different requirements, so I figured I'd mention mine. My usage would be very minimal:

- Occasional book reading when I'm on holiday a couple times a year
    - Use to browse the internet - just a couple sites, email, facebook, twitter, nothing too taxing

I'd also be looking for a device on which it would be easy enough to circumvent the different geo-blocks, i.e. I could download a book off Amazon.com or .co.uk that may not necessarily be for sale when buying from an Irish IP. I have the kindle app on my Macbook and it seems most of the books I want aren't available here for whatever reason.

The wife has a google Nexus tablet so I'm not looking for one of them or a Kindle Fire, just something that would do the above, wouldn't cost the earth and would hopefully last a while.

What do ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and would recommend it as an e-reader. It's no book, though. :P Seriously, the amazon ecosystem is quite easy to get around (I know I've changed from .com to .co.uk), the battery lasts for ages, but it does come with DRM for books you buy off amazon (though not from other ebooks.)

It's a little bit restrictive compared to some others though in terms of the format, but I've always found there to be an alternative available that the kindle can read (and I think I've used converters, too).

Not great for browsing though. I don't think any of them that use e-ink would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks Prenderb

I wouldn't be using it for browsing much. Just checking twitter and a couple sites by the pool when I'm on holiday. Would it handle even that?

I could just get a tablet, but I prefer the screen on the kindle, and it will not be used much.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Prenderb wrote: »
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite and would recommend it as an e-reader. It's no book, though. :P Seriously, the amazon ecosystem is quite easy to get around (I know I've changed from .com to .co.uk), the battery lasts for ages, but it does come with DRM for books you buy off amazon (though not from other ebooks.)

It's a little bit restrictive compared to some others though in terms of the format, but I've always found there to be an alternative available that the kindle can read (and I think I've used converters, too).

Not great for browsing though. I don't think any of them that use e-ink would be?

I agree with this. I've also brought books from other sites and used a free program called Calibre to convert them to .mobi to read on my kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Monokne wrote: »
    Thanks Prenderb

I wouldn't be using it for browsing much. Just checking twitter and a couple sites by the pool when I'm on holiday. Would it handle even that?

I could just get a tablet, but I prefer the screen on the kindle, and it will not be used much.

I've found it to be a bit slow and not quite up to it. It *will* load a facebook page, but it seems to be a bit pointless, tbh. I can't see it opening anything graphics heavy very easily.

In short, I suppose it will do it, but I'd be surprised if you enjoyed it (if that even makes sense!). And you'll need to make sure there's Wi-Fi or you've bought the expensive 3g version (and I'm not sure how that works, I think it's universal in europe but you'll have to confirm that).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got a Nook for mammy Carawaystick, in america(the nook, not her)
    it's a disaster, she can't buy any books, as B&N have some drm to stop her using it with either a non- usian credit card and address, or a non-usian ip address.

you can sideload books but its a huge pain in the backside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Went with the kindle! Seemed the safest option. Thanks all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I use Kobo mostly but I always use Kindle, both are great services and you can have the standalone app from either service on your device to read when you don't have your eReader with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Hi all
    Sorry to come into this thread so late but wondered if anyone might be able to advise me as i'm not at all technical. Was thinking of buying the Kobo Arc for my kids this Xmas (11&12). They would mainly be browsing youtube, playing games and downloading books and comics.
    Money is tight this year, and I've just noticed the asus memo pad hd7 at 50 euro less than the Kobo Arc.
    Anyone know if the Asus would be sufficient?
    They are using the kids Nabi tablets up to now but the storage and screen resolution on those leave a bit to be desired at their ages!
    Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement