Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows in small extension: Velfac or Rationel

• 28-07-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Building a small north facing extension - going all out on insulation as I want it to be snug.
    On the windows/doors my architect is suggesting 3-glazed vefac (or ideal combi) windows but I'm searching for positive experiences from others as it's a big investment. These windows/doors are a bit different with a push and slide mechanism for sliders and very slim profile for windows.
    I like Rationel aldus alu-clad 3-glazed - they seem more traditional and I know loads of people who have them and are happy.
    Such a big investment I am looking for reassurance (by PM if necessary) about either option!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Recommendations or option in the specific conpanies by PM, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Derb12: I got Velfac windows throughout my self build. Have PM'd you with thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Location would be a factor (near Bournemouth in this instance)
    If you are building in an exposed location you might want to be aware of issues with trickle vents - they both use exactly the same type so no undue prejudice here.
    I have mentioned this before but the video on Youtube illustrates the problem rather well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Yikes thats a sobering video! I won't be as exposed as that but it looks like the installation was bad. Seems like an entire apartment block has the same problem. I wonder how it was resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CorkedAgain

Hi, we are building a sizeable extension (L-shaped kitchen/diner/living) with 2 sets of slider/french doors and much glazing otherwise on the inside of the L. Would like feedback on Velfac & Rational or if any other similar supplying in Ireland. Looking for slim frame design. Thanks for any feedback on this thread or by PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 shaydoc

Clseeper wrote: »
    Derb12: I got Velfac windows throughout my self build. Have PM'd you with thoughts.

hi CIseeper,
    can yo uPM me with your feedback on velfac?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

Hi CLseeper

Could you also PM me about your experience of Velfac?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Please PM velfac experience also.
    Thanks.
    Corcadorcha

Hi
    Could you let me know your opinions on Velfac ? Anybody use the corner unit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭bemak

Also curious to hear feedback on both Velfac and Rationale if people don't mind PM'ing me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I would also be interested to hear . Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭bemak

looks like there's a lot of interest in hearing about them so if people like, send me your pros and cons comments and i'll compile them into one PDF and send them to whoever's interested. if that's easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Can someone explain why this is all done in secret by pm please. Surely if you pm 10 people what's the difference.
    Could you please send me your thoughts on rational v Velfac also.
    If their are issues is it not best to let people know and let the suppliers improve their products. It is after all a huge investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

VANG1 wrote: »
    Can someone explain why this is all done in secret by pm please.

Someone has a bad experience with Kimmy's Windows and vents about it on Boards.ie. Kimmy reads this on Boards.ie and sues them for damaging their reputation.

It's due to a certain large music promoter suing a few years back. Or so I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Effects wrote: »
    Someone has a bad experience with Kimmy's Windows and vents about it on Boards.ie. Kimmy reads this on Boards.ie and sues them for damaging their reputation.

It's due to a certain large music promoter suing a few years back. Or so I think.

+1
    And it's boards.ie that gets sued not the poster.
    All recommendations for suppliers, good or bad are by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tvisdead

I would really appreciate hearing the feedback. Am currently selecting our windows now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KeoghJon

Hi, I would be very interested to hear any feeback in relation to Velfac or Rationel, we are trying to decide who to go with and would welcome unbiased opinions. PM if you wish. Thanking you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Me too please, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Effects wrote: »

For some strange reason windows seem to be the most 'sensitive' component by some margin. This forum is probably not the best place to get information about windows unless you wish to rely on pms - the contents of which could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

Can you please pm me on feedback on velfac windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

I saw Valfac, Internorm and Sean Doyle windows at ideal homes today.
    Was impressed with all of them. I would be grateful for PM from anyone with opinions on them. I like the sleekness of them. I would prefer the lower u-value as possible.
    Any comments by PM gratefully accepted.
    Thanks
    Corcadorcha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

I would really appreciate a PM with feedback on these options also please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sandy2000

At risk of reviving an old thread, if anyone has feedback on velfac, internorm or rationel, Id be very greatful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

sandy2000 wrote: »
    At risk of reviving an old thread, if anyone has feedback on velfac, internorm or rationel, Id be very greatful.

Will drop you a PM on my experience.

recommenations by PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

Babalons wrote: »
    Will drop you a PM on my experience.

Would love to hear your experiences too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

moldy_sea wrote: »
    Would love to hear your experiences too.

Ditto, deciding at the moment between rationel, nordan and MJ for aluclad. Any recommendations or otherwise appreciated.

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    And it's boards.ie that gets sued not the poster.
    All recommendations for suppliers, good or bad are by PM.

As a matter of interest, does this apply to certain industries or forums on Boards or all? There are other sections on boards that I sometimes use and businesses are being slated. In fact, my family business (not involved myself) features on Boards, and while the vast majority are very favourable, there are a few comments that are very questionable.

As a matter of interest, does this apply to certain industries or forums on Boards or all? There are other sections on boards that I sometimes use and businesses are being slated. In fact, my family business (not involved myself) features on Boards, and while the vast majority are very favourable, there are a few comments that are very questionable.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »

Thanks. I agree 100 per cent with it, just a pity a similar charter is not observed on other sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rusmoloney

would love a PM on Velfac experience also. Have narrowed down to Nordan or Velfac, velfac seem nicer aesthetically but not sure what their service etc is like

BryanF wrote: »
    Recommendations or option in the specific conpanies by PM, thanks

Advertisement