Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knocking a downstairs stud wall.

• 28-07-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

I am looking to knock down the stud wall between the kitchen and dining room. The house is a typical dublin semi-detached from the 70s. Hope to be moving into it in a few weeks. Id imagine the 1st floor joists run from front wall to back, therefore the stud wall I want to knock is running parallel to them. I cant imagine this stud wall is doing much load bearing.

My Issue is that, I see a lot of similar houses on daft etc. that have knocked this wall, but looked to have installed a steel beam (boxed off). Is this really necessary?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    I cant imagine this stud wall is doing much load bearing.

If your 4 years of Structural Engineering study led you that conclusion, then fire away and do the work. I would not advise asking anybody you love or care about to be standing anywhere underneath the existing joists though.

On a serious note, as a Surveyor/Engineer to have a look and see what the wall is doing. It may be breaking the span of the joists and you may had joist bridging above it.
    but looked to have installed a steel beam (boxed off). Is this really necessary?

If the stud wall is taking any load or even breaking the span, you need to replace it with something to carry out carrying out this function. Steel beam of some sort will be required.

For the risks involved, it would be prudent to ask an engineer to come out, have a look when everything is exposed and advise accordinaly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I am looking to knock down the stud wall between the kitchen and dining room. The house is a typical dublin semi-detached from the 70s. Hope to be moving into it in a few weeks. Id imagine the 1st floor joists run from front wall to back, therefore the stud wall I want to knock is running parallel to them. I cant imagine this stud wall is doing much load bearing.

My Issue is that, I see a lot of similar houses on daft etc. that have knocked this wall, but looked to have installed a steel beam (boxed off). Is this really necessary?

we don't do structural advice on this forum, you need an eng to determine whether the stud wall is in anyway load bearing.if in doubt of the forums rules please see the charter. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Ok. Sound.

Advertisement