Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with POP3 email on Android

Options
  • 16-05-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Anyone having problems setting up POP3 email on Android?
    I'm trying to set up an eircom email but at the outgoing server stage, it keeps giving the error "your outgoing server does not support authentication. Please verify your outgoing server settings".

I'm putting in smtp.o2.ie for the outgoing server
    Security type is set as none (as SSL just doesn't connect to the server).
    Never had a problem with this on WM devices.

I read elsewhere on the net that POP3 email could be a problem.
    Anyone successfully set up POP3 email at the moment?
    Any ideas what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

I don't know if this will be of any help to you....what I do with email is to have my Gmail account poll my other accounts, and then I read my email on my Desire, or via my Gmail account on my laptop or any computer. The advantage is that Gmail's spam checker is very good, so I only get proper emails showing up on my Gmail inbox.

I set the Gmail settings to allow replies to emails to show up as being from the original address to which they were sent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I use gmail for a couple of POP3 accounts as well, although I'm not usually sending email from those accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Check your POP3 settings for eircom. The most likely causes are port numbers or requiring smtp authentication before POP3.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You cant get eircom outgoing to work on any HTCs. Apparantly there is a "security protocol" on the HTC that the eircom servers just wont recognise. It was the same on the iPhone, when using mobile networks. Incoming is fine, outgoing is not. I have tried every port and setting, still no joy. Its an eircom issue.

They probably see it as relaying. Normally that is fixed by doing a POP3 authenticated read before an smtp. At least that is hoe I solved a similar problem on a pc before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

antodeco wrote: »
    You cant get eircom outgoing to work on any HTCs. Apparantly there is a "security protocol" on the HTC that the eircom servers just wont recognise. It was the same on the iPhone, when using mobile networks. Incoming is fine, outgoing is not. I have tried every port and setting, still no joy. Its an eircom issue.

OK.
    But funny thing is my HTC Touch Cruise and HTC p3600 (WM devices) never had a problem with my eircom email.

Here's what the Eircom support page says about it:

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR use webmail.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=149&E=0000000000243704054&K=7553&Sxi=15&Case=obj(6736)&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb;home;topqueries

Here's what the Eircom support page says about it:

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR use webmail.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=149&E=0000000000243704054&K=7553&Sxi=15&Case=obj(6736)&DCSext.clickedFrom=bb;home;topqueries

Yeah as i say i'm using smtp.o2.ie as the outgoing server.
    This has always worked for me on other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I had trouble setting up my eircom mail too, it wouldn't accept the password even though I knew it was right and when I was using blacknight smtp. I simply clicked off the "login required" box and it worked :)

cormie wrote: »
    I had trouble setting up my eircom mail too, it wouldn't accept the password even though I knew it was right and when I was using blacknight smtp. I simply clicked off the "login required" box and it worked :)

Thanks.
    That gets me past the set up- was able to retrieve one email at least (a crap EDGE connection could be confounding matters at the moment).
    So at least i know it kinda works.
    I'll keep trying.

Edit: seems to be working now (with the help of a proper HSDPA connection).
    That login step was the problem seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well once you've received one email that should mean it's set up I'd say :)

Took me ages as well, I was trying different passwords and everything when I KNEW what password it was but that little tick box did the trick. I guess as it's eircom, outgoing server being something else means an eircom login would never work anyway so I guess just using it as is without a login bypasses the issue. I do use the outgoing login for my blacknight email account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

cormie wrote: »
    I simply clicked off the "login required" box and it worked :)

Thats what i've been looking for all day, Htc Desire is otherwise fantastic !

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks, I am trying to set up my eircom.net email account on the Desire but everytime it goes to verify account information i get a message saying that "Cannot connect to the mail server to verify you account information. Your server is not responding". Can anybody help please? I am using wifi connection at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Sorry for bumping this old thread again, but has anybody had any luck with getting eircom.net mail to work with the desire please? If so could they tell me how, as I have tried the tips on this page but still no luck.

Advertisement