Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start for extension

• 17-07-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I live in a 3 bed end terrace house and am looking into the possibility of extending to the side with a single or double story extension, say 8 or 16 square metres depending on single or two story. We are tight on both living and sleeping space but cost is a big factor with us. Could someone give me a very rough guide what this may cost (I know there are a load of variables but just to have an idea)

Thing Is I am totally clueless as to where to start. Do I go to an architect or an engineer, approach the council to see if planning is a no go?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I live in a 3 bed end terrace house and am looking into the possibility of extending to the side with a single or double story extension, say 8 or 16 square metres depending on single or two story. We are tight on both living and sleeping space but cost is a big factor with us. Could someone give me a very rough guide what this may cost (I know there are a load of variables but just to have an idea)

Thing Is I am totally clueless as to where to start. Do I go to an architect or an engineer, approach the council to see if planning is a no go?

It could cost between €10k and €25k depending on the level of finish.
    Where about are you as that me determine if people can recommend someone by PM in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

look here for more ideas on pricing
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator
    look around where u live for similar work and then look up the planning office online in your area to see what was done etc in terms of ideas

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cocochanel7

kceire wrote: »
    It could cost between €10k and €25k depending on the level of finish.
    Where about are you as that me determine if people can recommend someone by PM in your area.

In County limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

I would suggest that you locate and source a competent architect to just sit down with and consult with him/her first.

Chat about what you would like to do and see what ideas or rough designs you both can come up with. If your happy I would then organize a meeting with the local council head area planner and sit down and chat with them regarding the ideas for design. Make sure to bring the architect along too as they are more use to these sort of meetings and know the right questions to ask.

Then if the planning department think the planning would be accepted, go get final design planning drawings done up by the architect and submit for planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cocochanel7

We met with an architect who gave us a good idea of cost etc. He has recommended a single story side extension of 12 feet by 25. However we only want to come out 9 foot instead of 12 as otherwise we would use all the space in our side garden. Do people think a 25x9 foot extension would be too small for a small bedroom and playroom, both would roughly be 8 by 11 feet internally

• Advertisement
Advertisement