Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputable husky breeder dublin

Options
  • 14-11-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Done a fair bit of driving the last week or so, saw what i thought was a cheap husky pups but when we got there one of the parents wasnt a full breed on two occasions, ideally i want to have one before xmass just dont fancy doing a long drive just to be dissapointed again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Done a fair bit of driving the last week or so, saw what i thought was a cheap husky pups but when we got there one of the parents wasnt a full breed on two occasions, ideally i want to have one before xmass just dont fancy doing a long drive just to be dissapointed again

Sorry, but which is it you want, cheap or reputable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, but which is it you want, cheap or reputable?
    reputable, by cheap i mean 200-300, normally going for 450

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

reputable, by cheap i mean 200-300, normally going for 450

Sorry, but I'm not sure what that even means. It costs upwards of €2000 to rear a litter of pups from start to finish if done anyway properly at all. You will not get a healthy, well-bred, problem free husky for less than €800 I would imagine. There are strains of these dogs with serious aggression, orthopaedic issues and digestive issues and vet bills for these problems run into thousands. There is no way you would find a husky from a reputable breeder 'in time for Christmas' because :

1. Reputable breeders rarely breed their dogs in winter, spring pups get the best start in life and they only breed so many litters from their dog so it would make no sense to breed at this time of year.

2. In a lot of cases the puppies are all spoken for before the dogs are even mated.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what that even means. It costs upwards of €2000 to rear a litter of pups from start to finish if done anyway properly at all. You will not get a healthy, well-bred, problem free husky for less than €800 I would imagine. There are strains of these dogs with serious aggression, orthopaedic issues and digestive issues and vet bills for these problems run into thousands. There is no way you would find a husky from a reputable breeder 'in time for Christmas' because :

1. Reputable breeders rarely breed their dogs in winter, spring pups get the best start in life and they only breed so many litters from their dog so it would make no sense to breed at this time of year.

2. In a lot of cases the puppies are all spoken for before the dogs are even mated.

I have not seeing one husky, not one coming near 800 on donedeal EVER !

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Well thats because most of the husky's on certain websites are not from reputable breeders. They dont need to sell on websites as they sell to people in person and most are spoken for months in advance if not longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Eh, doesnt that tell you something? :rolleyes: Donedeal is rubbish... Dont buy a dog there, end of.

Contact the Breed club and enquire abour Reputable Breeders who have good quality dogs. But you wont get one before Christmas as no good, responsible breeder will sell a puppy close to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Or try a reputable rescue, huskies are hard work, lovely dogs but you have to have energy to burn if you want to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 opensesamee

Huskies are seriously hard work! Also it is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than you are planning on paying to secure your property to prevent the dog escaping!

Huskies are seriously hard work! Also it is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than you are planning on paying to secure your property to prevent the dog escaping!

My back garden is surrounded by 8 ft walls, ive read up on the breed so i know whats instore, maybe a few years ago huskies were fetching 800 euro but i doubt these days they'd fetch near that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Just don't buy a dog on done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My back garden is surrounded by 8 ft walls, ive read up on the breed so i know whats instore, maybe a few years ago huskies were fetching 800 euro but i doubt these days they'd fetch near that price

Sorry, but if you actually researched the breed properly with reputable breeders through the Husky Breed Clubs in Ireland you will find they do cost that much and more.

It costs huge money to breed a litter properly and with good pedigree lines, health checks, after care, vaccinations, worming, good food for mother and puppies etc.

The dogs you have seen are terribly bred with no quality,care of health checks, so of course they are going to be cheap, what else do you expect from puppy farmers and back yard breeders. You need to wake up and realise what is going on in this country regarding dog breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

If you really wanted a good dog then you will wait till after xmas. You could find a reputable breeder now and put your name down for a pup in the spring time.

If you MUST have one now then you could consider rescuing one. However even rescues now are reluctant to rehome around xmas as they want to make sure the dog is in a forever home and not just a fad until January comes in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thats great about the walls, and I'm glad you've done your research:D Well bred pups of any breed from reputable breeders haven't dropped in price because they were never breeding for profit in the first place.

In my opinion there are very few reputable husky breeders in Ireland, and I'm afraid I don't know any in Dublin. I'd suggest you contact the All Ireland sibe club, or the Siberian Husky club of Northern Ireland, who are a new club, but have members who both show and work their dogs, so if they are breeding, they should be good strong, healthy dogs.

Best of luck, you do know that one husky is never enough don't you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

how much would it cost to raise a litter of husky pups till their say12 weeks old??that would be a litter of 4/5 pups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Why dont you look in rescue centers,i have seen a few actually to be re-homed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pokertalk wrote: »
    how much would it cost to raise a litter of husky pups till their say12 weeks old??that would be a litter of 4/5 pups

Lippy11 may be able to give you an idea - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056418290?page=1#post_74889463

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

caseyann wrote: »
    Why dont you look in rescue centers,i have seen a few actually to be re-homed before.

Agreed, there are plenty of Huskies in Ireland needing homes after their owners didn't know what they were letting themselves in for and dumped them on ISDW and other rescues. If you seemingly want to go the "cheap" route, why not give a poor dog a home instead.

Advertisement