Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 British soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

Surprised none of you fellas had posted this. I thought the Taliban were done and dusted ?

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16183891

Who had said the Taliban were done and dusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Surprised none of you fellas had posted this. I thought the Taliban were done and dusted ?

You must have a better source than MOD as it has not yet confirmed that the soldiers are dead. Currently they are MIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Nobody has said they're done and dusted, they're just seriously reduced in their current capabilities compared to the height of it in 06-08. This was an IED attack, it requires little manpower and a small amount of supplies. As they're even further reduced to Guerilla warfare they pose an even greater threat as they can't perform the same level of direct combat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Dogwatch wrote: »
    You must have a better source than MOD as it has not yet confirmed that the soldiers are dead. Currently they are MIA
    Ok if you want to be pedantic, maybe they'll find them under a rock or something :rolleyes:

RMD wrote: »
    Nobody has said they're done and dusted, they're just seriously reduced in their current capabilities compared to the height of it in 06-08. This was an IED attack, it requires little manpower and a small amount of supplies. As they're even further reduced to Guerilla warfare they pose an even greater threat as they can't perform the same level of direct combat.
    True enough. On sky news they kept mentioning Iran....Iran....Iran as if to implicate them. Seems any terrorism that happens these days in the middle east is down to Iran. And then blowing up an Iranian scientist with a car bomb isn't terrorism of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Why anyone would watch sky news is beyond me. Though I imagine even they have never said that the Taliban are done and dusted.

Have the Taliban claimed this by the way? I am just wondering if AQ have started to come back into force in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Why have you posted it, other than to come across as incredibly smug and almost jubilant at the news of the death of 6 British soldiers?

If that is not the intended tone of your post I suggest you change it because it comes across that way.

Nobody has suggested the Taliban are, as you put it, "done and dusted". I include the British media, the British military, and posters on this board in that. I do not believe that you are so unaware of the world around you to think that what you have suggested is actually the opinion of the overwhelming majority.

The taliban are on the back foot, the Afghans are becoming more able to defend themselves and progress in Southern Afghanistan is steady. Making such statements does not in any way equate to saying the taliban are down and out and that Afghanistan will flourish after nato forces pull out.

Why create a thread like this to discuss such a thing when there are many recently active threads discussing Afghanistan. I think you have a far darker motive.

Anyway, my thoughts are with the families of those who died.

bwatson wrote: »
    Why have you posted it, other than to come across as incredibly smug and almost jubilant at the news of the death of 6 British soldiers?
    How the f**k do you see that ?? You are sensitive aren't you. I report what was on the news and post it on the web - and you get all bitchy about it.
    If that is not the intended tone of your post I suggest you change it because it comes across that way.
    I suggest you grow a pair.
    Nobody has suggested the Taliban are, as you put it, "done and dusted". I include the British media, the British military, and posters on this board in that. I do not believe that you are so unaware of the world around you to think that what you have suggested is actually the opinion of the overwhelming majority.

The taliban are on the back foot, the Afghans are becoming more able to defend themselves and progress in Southern Afghanistan is steady. Making such statements does not in any way equate to saying the taliban are down and out and that Afghanistan will flourish after nato forces pull out.

Why create a thread like this to discuss such a thing when there are many recently active threads discussing Afghanistan. I think you have a far darker motive.

Well I thought with the US pulling out of Afghanistan (leaving a small force behind of course to keep an eye on things) that the war was done and dusted :rolleyes:

US Pulling Out of Afghanistan http://ktmcfarland.com/2012/02/01/us-pulling-out-of-afghanistan/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Surely it is way, way past time to recognise realities, not least the one that attacking Afghanistan was a massive mistake. One of the worst that Bush and his chief poodle Tony BLiar ever made.

The last person who managed to subdue the Pashtuns was a fellow called Genghis Khan in the 12th/13th century. The way he did it is one from which even the Americans with their disregard for non-American human life and their nonchalant approach to "collateral damage" would probably shrink. They can inflict huge losses on the Taliban, massacre thousands of civilians with their drones and not so "smart" bombs, and with the aid of a local quisling thug like Karzai and his savage secret police, but they should remember what Terence McSwiney said: "It is not they who can inflict most, but they who can endure most who shall conquer." And it is the Taliban who are really good at enduring.:cool:

We have to accept that Afghanistan is not going to become a hot dusty Sweden any time soon. Many aspects of their society, such as their attitude to and treatment of women, may be repugnant from our (I mean the West's) point of view, but I don't see any Americans or Brits invading Saudi Arabia to free the women there, either. What Afghanistan needs most of all is a long period of peace, development and help from other countries if they request it. That way their society could, perhaps, mellow and allow greater individual liberties, but we can not make them into the kind of society that we think is right. And we shouldn't be trying to do it, either.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Surely it is way, way past time to recognise realities, not least the one that attacking Afghanistan was a massive mistake. One of the worst that Bush and his chief poodle Tony BLiar ever made.

The last person who managed to subdue the Pashtuns was a fellow called Genghis Khan in the 12th/13th century. The way he did it is one from which even the Americans with their disregard for non-American human life and their nonchalant approach to "collateral damage" would probably shrink. They can inflict huge losses on the Taliban, massacre thousands of civilians with their drones and not so "smart" bombs, and with the aid of a local quisling thug like Karzai and his savage secret police, but they should remember what Terence McSwiney said: "It is not they who can inflict most, but they who can endure most who shall conquer." And it is the Taliban who are really good at enduring.:cool:

We have to accept that Afghanistan is not going to become a hot dusty Sweden any time soon. Many aspects of their society, such as their attitude to and treatment of women, may be repugnant from our (I mean the West's) point of view, but I don't see any Americans or Brits invading Saudi Arabia to free the women there, either. What Afghanistan needs most of all is a long period of peace, development and help from other countries if they request it. That way their society could, perhaps, mellow and allow greater individual liberties, but we can not make them into the kind of society that we think is right. And we shouldn't be trying to do it, either.:)

Oh shut up.

• Advertisement

Whats with the stupid little smiley? Willing the repressive, barbaric taliban regime on to victory are you?

What is this nonsense about endurance anyway? Maybe the voting public don't have the will to see thousands of our young men killed in this war, but to suggest that the taliban are a force who are far more capable of being courageous and resilient is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Oh shut up.
    They entered Afghanistan as a smoke screen to get BinnLaden the intended target was always Iraq but they could never strike Iraq unless they were seen to actively seek bin laden.
    With the afghani incursion they could fester a bs element of global fear and hit Iraq for their oil.
    The Americans are never leaving Iraq with a compound embassy built the size of Vatican city they will have their supply of oil.
    Afghanistan was unavoidable for them to reach this goal hence the weak drive in the early years to finish the Taliban.
    Unfortunately man a good man has been lost by the powers at work utilising their pawns who haven't the courage of these good soldiers.
    Yes the British should not be in Afghanistan but they are and it's always going to lead to collateral damage as the country is steeped in internal fighting and ruled by a gun.
    My sympathies with the families,I know a couple of lads down there and I know a dew who have passed through mainly Irish.
    So you see those British soldiers could be Irish,Pakistani or Welsh it doesn't matter it's six young lives lost for a worthless cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

RIP to the lads. Thoughts are with their families and muckers.

Lets not have this descend into another f*ckfest lads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

RIP. Lets have some respect for the dead please.

Ok if you want to be pedantic, maybe they'll find them under a rock or something :rolleyes:
    If they are alive, I'll take that.

bwatson wrote: »

How the f**k do you see that ?? You are sensitive aren't you. I report what was on the news and post it on the web - and you get all bitchy about it.

I suggest you grow a pair.

Well I thought with the US pulling out of Afghanistan (leaving a small force behind of course to keep an eye on things) that the war was done and dusted :rolleyes:

US Pulling Out of Afghanistan http://ktmcfarland.com/2012/02/01/us-pulling-out-of-afghanistan/

I agree with bwatson. i thought the same and i have checked, i have a pair, as you so eloquently put it.
    Your previous posts would lead me to believe you are anti Britian and anti British Army. What other conclusion could I have arrived at????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

iceage wrote: »
    RIP to the lads. Thoughts are with their families and muckers.

Lets not have this descend into another f*ckfest lads.

Amen.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

There's some talk that this may not have been an IED. The blast occurred just 500m outside the base these men were operating from. And obviously to cause 'catastrophic' damage to a warrior it must have been a fairly big bomb. So that beg's the question how they were able to plant a bomb this effective so close to the base? Did they just just get lucky? Or did employ some other method?

Link to my source.
    However, Al Jazeera's Bernard Smith, reporting from the capital Kabul, said there was confusion about the cause of the blast.

The soldiers were out of their armoured vehicle and had gone just about 500m outside the base when there was an enormous explosion, he said.

"We're not sure if this was a road side bomb or something else," said Smith.

Our correspondent said that the Afghan authorities he had spoken to suggested that because the explosion took place so close to the base, which is monitored by close circuit television cameras, it would have been very difficult for anyone to plant a homemade bomb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Jaafa wrote: »
    There's some talk that this may not have been an IED. The blast occurred just 500m outside the base these men were operating from. And obviously to cause 'catastrophic' damage to a warrior it must have been a fairly big bomb. So that beg's the question how they were able to plant a bomb this effective so close to the base? Did they just just get lucky? Or did employ some other method?

Link to my source.

Aljezeera is not really a relible source, its a propaganda channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

And sky news isn't?

And sky news isn't?
    And neither is ITV or the British press in general :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

Link to my source.

Aljazeera will give a far more balanced account than any American news network or sky news.
    Robert Fisk and such high calibre journalists prefer to report for Aljazeera for this same fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

And sky news isn't?

Ajazeera is posting rumours from a correspondent based hundreds of miles away, who has most likely paid Afghan military officers for the info.

We will wait for to what the MOD say.

Mainsream news channels are simply reporting what they know.

And neither is ITV or the British press in general :rolleyes:

lolwut?

Last time I checked he wasn't quoting any news source, and in fact it was you who linked to a major British news source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Two things that lept out at me re these tragic deaths are 1: the lack of underside armour on the Warrior, and 2: The fact that the mine 'may' have been an old left over from the cold war? although this is just speculation tonight.

RIP lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would have thought a Soviet era mine would be designed to take out a tank, if that's what it was.

Indeed, RIP lads.

I would have thought a Soviet era mine would be designed to take out a tank, if that's what it was.

Yes, that is what it would take. The Warrior was designed an an infantry fighting vehicle with the chance that meeting Soviet mines on the battlefield and hopefully surviving them.

We will have to wait for the proper report from a knowledgeable source, as crusader notes, rather than a bunch of remote jerkwater wasters tainted with their own highly-biased opinions.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

With all the talk of RIP, has anything been confirmed? Wishful thinking perhaps, but here's hoping it's just poor reporting regarding fatalities, until we hear otherwise from the MOD.

• Advertisement

MoD - six confirmed dead.

Quote from today's Army Times - '“The six soldiers, five from the 3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment and one from the 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster’s, were on patrol in a Warrior armoured fighting vehicle when it was caught in an explosion in the Task Force Helmand area of operations,” said Lt. Col. Gordon Mackenzie, a spokesman for the British Task Force in Helmand. The British defense ministry said the families of the British soldiers have been informed.'

tac

Advertisement