Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Leaving Cert Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

really? my teachers said once u sign for it it shows up and if u dont do it its an NG
    That's not true.
    They cannot give you an NG as it implies some sort of mark was submitted to the system and if you have not completed any components, nothing will show.
    If, however, you do the oral, do badly and then do not sit the paper, a poor mark WILL appear, with a * beside it, indicating a missing component.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I don't possibly see how you could be failing pass irish since you've been here since you were 10...pass irish is sooo eay,I've never seen anyone who has failed a pass irish test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

gant0 wrote: »
    I don't possibly see how you could be failing pass irish since you've been here since you were 10...pass irish is sooo eay,I've never seen anyone who has failed a pass irish test.

what about the 1,100 odd people who failed pass irish last year...plus the 100 odd who failed foundation

http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2009/Grade_percent_for_the_last_3_years.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

gant0 wrote: »

I'm glad you find it easy, I don't. To be honest I've never been good at learning other languages at all (used to do french, but dropped it after the junior cert).
    Anyways I'm going for a chat with my year tutor in a few days time to see what he thinks. If I am able to drop it then it'll be a huge relief and will make school that much more enjoyable. If not, then I guess I'm just going to have to plough through it and spend the smallest amount of time I can on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Una01

Mark92 wrote: »
    Does anyone know someone who's dropped Irish before? If so, what was the circumstances they were allowed to drop it?
    Thanks.

Ok, basically in Ireland there are two "Rules" as such for learning Irish.
    1) Anyone who was born in Ireland MUST do the subject from primary school right through secondary school. (Unless they have dyslexia or any other learning difficulties.)
    2) If you were born outside of Ireland but moved here before the age of 11, you too must learn the subject.(again unless the person has any learning difficulties)

But for entering into college by CAO, if you were born outside of Ireland (no matter what age you were when you came back to Ireland) you are able to be exempt from Irish.
    I know this because I am in Leaving Cert year and got exempt. I was born in Scotland but moved here when I was only 3. Through primary school I learned Irish and also did it for my junior cert. I moved down to pass in 5th year and like you, I most likely will not be counting it for points. Since you are not planning on going to college in Ireland I am not 100% sure if the same would apply to you.
    But you can definitely become exempt from Irish in the Leaving Cert if born outside the country. You apply for the exemption through NUI and once exempt, they will forward on the details to the CAO. With this exemption, it does not stop me from applying to any college of my choice, even if it is a requirement for entering the college. That is for the people who sit the exam in their leaving cert.
    I sent off the form to NUI about 2 weeks ago and today the letter came with my exemption!
    I hope this has helped you.:)

Here is the form that you must fill in and you also need a copy of your birth certificate.
    http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/ExemptionsApplform092010.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    What is the difference between the OL and FL oral because the examiner doesn't know what level you are sitting when you do your oral.

FL people go in last and their oral is much much simpler, like certain questions, certain vocab etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 esmith28

Hi, just wanted to clear this up because it seems to be a greatly misunderstood matter. I was born in the UK, and moved here aged 6 weeks. I studied Irish the whole way through primary school, got good grades in it in junior cycle, then dropped it the day I went into 5th year because I considered it effort that could be better spent. You can apply to Nui and get an exemption that removes Irish as a requirement from all courses in Irish universities except for primary teaching, however, the Department of Education will not grant you an exemption unless you arrived after your 11th birthday, and your school won't grant you an exemption for funding reasons because the department won't pay for you to be there unless you do Irish, so, you can do the subject as a seventh, eighth, ninth or tenth in a free school, and just do nothing and fail it, and no one will care, or you can attend a private school such as the Institute of education and drop it immediately and forget about it forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't drag up old threads.
    Asked and answered many times.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement