Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun

Options
  • 24-09-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

A few years back I bought a Browning Ulta Xtr. Its a lovely gun except for it has no changeable chokes. Is it possible to buy a new barrel for the gun? If so where and roughly what money would you pay for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭shoot to kill

it might be possible to get your barrels made into a multi choke. I had a trap get full and extra full. enquired about gettting it boared and threaded but decided to buy a semi auto. it was teague choke company that said they could do it. worth a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

Have heard people saying that it would be cheaper to buy new barrels but i'll check it out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

Youd be looking at about 500 euro to get it done with chokes supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Padc wrote: »
    A few years back I bought a Browning Ulta Xtr. Its a lovely gun except for it has no changeable chokes. Is it possible to buy a new barrel for the gun? If so where and roughly what money would you pay for it?

Generally speaking, I would not be bothered. Personally, I think chokes are over-rated. A good shot is a good shot. A bad shot is a bad shot.

With that said, the XTR is a dedicated trap gun, correct? What is it choked for now?

Give us an idea why you want to change.

Again, I often see shooters fiddling with chokes at the range. Asking, should I be shooting modified or improved, when the problem is that they are 10ft behind.

With all that said, I have two chokes that I use: skeet and turkey. Skeet to spray as much close up and turkey to get as far out.

If you do end up getting chokes later, always get the extended. I always forget the wrenches and tightening by hand is a nice option.

At the moment it is 3/4 and full. I just think it would be an advantage to be able to change the chokes as opposed to being stuck with the same. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether

• Advertisement

At the moment it is 3/4 and full. I just think it would be an advantage to be able to change the chokes as opposed to being stuck with the same. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether

Do you mainly shoot one discipline: trap, skeet, upland, birds, vermin, or general?

Generally, I think replacing the barrels will be so costly that you would be better off with a new shotgun.

Mainly Birds and vermin. Do you know where or who would supply barrels?

Do you know where or who would supply barrels?

Sorry, but no.

However, I would start with Dave Mulvihill in Ballymahon. He has a nice supply of firearms on hand and should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

shooting birds and vermin with a trap gun.... get a sporter and be done....
    single trigger multichoke, you'll only ever use 1/2" and 3/4" anyway.... that was what all the old fixed choke sports guns were back in the day.
    it's all down to the lead placement after that....

a trap gun must be a bit of a pain to carry too I'd imagine...

I was young when I bought the gun and was badly advised by so-called experts! Weight the gun is fine. Actually my father bought a Miroku sporter around the same time and its a heavier gun than mine. I think a change will be on the cards. Any suggestions for a good sporter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement