Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night of Champions, September 21 *SSlam Spoilers*

• 20-08-2014 1:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena for WWE World Heavyweight Title confirmed for Night Of Champions in a Triple H video promo on WWE Main Event.

In two minds about that one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

rovert wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena for WWE World Heavyweight Title confirmed for Night Of Champions in a Triple H video promo on WWE Main Event.

Yeah, I think really it could've been something to save for a rainy day. Cena vs Brock a year from now really highlighting how badly Brock killed him would be an interesting build with some ambiguity over who'll win, Cena simply can't win at NoC.

Suppose they've no other great options to get those renewals though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Haven't seen or spoiled Raw yet so maybe they made sense of it, but I don't see how Cena would qualify for an immediate rematch in the storyline given the nature of his loss at SummerSlam. I know the rematch clause and all, but if that happened in UFC he'd be two fights away from getting another shot. And it's also a shocking business decision considering how big this PPV is for the Network: totally delegitimise Cena against Lesnar then give fans a rematch of this clear mismatch??? Lesnar/Rusev would probably pop a bigger number as at least there'd be intrigue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This is WWE where a face can lose against the same opponent 5 times in a row, yet when the face wins, there's either no rematch or the rematch is used to set up a feud with another opponent through outside interference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Way to ruin the impact of the SummerSlam match with an immediate rematch, WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I knew there was almost zero chance of it happening, but would have liked Cena to be missing for a while like Undertaker after Wrestlemania. Have Lesnar murder someone else here, then another randomer at Survivor Series before Cena makes a big return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Yeah, there is no one else that Brock Lesnar can face for next 4 months other than John Cena unless they bring back Batista as a babyface.

mxph3 wrote: »
    Yeah, there is no one else that Brock Lesnar can face for next 4 months other than John Cena unless they bring back Batista as a babyface.

Then have Lesnar say that and refuse to show up until he feels an opponent is worth his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Meh i'm fine with having Cena have his rematch now.

Cena loses again, and queue the younger guys making the step up and challenging Lesnar.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Meh i'm fine with having Cena have his rematch now.

Cena loses again, and queue the younger guys making the step up and challenging Lesnar.

Who? Reigns is obviously being positioned for the superman push next year and probably taking the title at Mania. I'll be shocked if he goes anywhere near Lesnar any time soon.

A feud with Ambrose means someone ends up looking bad. Either Ambrose gets murdered or Lesnar loses his invincibility before the Reigns match. Bryan is obviously injured. None of the other babyfaces are even close to Lesnar. A one off is fine, but doing it with everyone would be incredibly boring.

If it were up to me, Lesnar wouldn't be on this show. He wouldn't appear again in person until the build up to Survivor Series where he murders someone, with Cena returning afterwards. Lesnar wins the decider at the Rumble while Reigns (Bryan would be better but Reigns is being positioned for it) wins the Rumble itself to set up the Wrestlemania match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Kurts contract is up soon! Sign him up to face lesnar as a two three month thing from survivor series to rumble.

This situation they are in now is due to their stop start pushes of guys, Brodus Clay if originally pushed right or ryback if his original push wasn't forgot about could of all been a credible threat to Brock for at least 1 ppv. Cesaro even if his pushed wasn't just dropped. Del Rio had a legit MMA background that could of been sufficient.

• Advertisement

I think Orton could face Lesnar too. Maybe Survivor Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

I'd book it so even for NOC, Cena isn't medically cleared to fight. Heyman would have a field day with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

10629761_847473211937236_1012250265066872302_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

merged from news thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    A feud with Ambrose means someone ends up looking bad. Either Ambrose gets murdered or Lesnar loses his invincibility before the Reigns match. Bryan is obviously injured. None of the other babyfaces are even close to Lesnar. A one off is fine, but doing it with everyone would be incredibly boring.

Lesnar doesn't need to look invincible. Just unstoppable. A match against Ambrose would be fantastic; Ambrose's size would be a good contrast, his style would provide a good contrast against Brock's "MMA", and Heyman and Ambrose could have field days cutting promos against each other. Ambrose is over, and a hard fought loss would still make him look great. A strong match against the man who ended the streak and kicked Cena's ass would be a massive boost for him, even with a loss.

Meanwhile, I know everyone has it locked in their head that Brock is walking towards Mania as champion, but he could lose it somewhere along the way. If Ambrose did overcome him, you'd have a mega-hot, super over babyface created.

Say then, for instance, if they wanted to give Taker a send off, then Brock vs Taker II without the title would be a good way to do it (he gets his revenge).
    And then have Ambrose vs Rollins (via MITB) vs Rollins (via Royal Rumble) as your main event title match as well.

This is on Sky Sports and not Sky Box Office btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Brock "full time" now, or will he be a special attraction style champion? I hope its the latter. Adds to his aura and makes the champion seem like a legit big deal again rather than him appearing in 2 or 3 segments every show.

gimmick wrote: »
    Is Brock "full time" now, or will he be a special attraction style champion? I hope its the latter. Adds to his aura and makes the champion seem like a legit big deal again rather than him appearing in 2 or 3 segments every show.

Special attraction style Champion.

Okay I've mentioned this before but now I am not sure if it is spoilers or people want to be spoiled. So I am going to spoiler tag

At moment the way Meltzer has said it Lesnar's going to do
    September, January & WrestleMania. The big hole there is Survivor Series obviously.
    Although WWE could drop the $$$ and get Brock to work more shows than that.

Kayfabe/character wise Brock being a mercenary/prize fighter is a GREAT improvement on the standard WWE malarky of Cena shrugging off title losses, Ziggler wanting to steal the show rather than winning fecking matches or in general Wrestlers being there to "Sports Entertain." Brock Lesnar re-establishes wins and loss mattering in short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Special attraction style Champion.

Okay I've mentioned this before but now I am not sure if it is spoilers or people want to be spoiled. So I am going to spoiler tag

At moment the way Meltzer has said it Lesnar's going to do
    September, January & WrestleMania. The big hole there is Survivor Series obviously.
    Although WWE could drop the $$$ and get Brock to work more shows than that.

Kayfabe/character wise Brock being a mercenary/prize fighter is a GREAT improvement on the standard WWE malarky of Cena shrugging off title losses, Ziggler wanting to steal the show rather than winning fecking matches or in general Wrestlers being there to "Sports Entertain." Brock Lesnar re-establishes wins and loss mattering in short.

Agree, was expecting Cena to come out and do his usual "awww I lost the title, ah well I'll just make fun of Brock and make people laugh, next time eh folks?" shtick. This might actually make people care about the title again.

krudler wrote: »
    Agree, was expecting Cena to come out and do his usual "awww I lost the title, ah well I'll just make fun of Brock and make people laugh, next time eh folks?" shtick. This might actually make people care about the title again.

The only potential issue with the part time Champion deal as Bryan Alvarez brought up is whether WWE stays the course if the TV ratings and more likely Live Events drop more than normal without the World Champion on the Card. It isn't 1984 or something when Pro Wrestling was more Sports based but the World title is still a difference maker or the "icing on the cherry" for casual fans. Or want denotes a "Raw" from a "Smackdown" - the show Cena rarely appears on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bryan Vs. Lesnar would be good but when is Bryan expected back?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bryan Vs. Lesnar would be good but when is Bryan expected back?

The vague target date of January.

But everyone ever wants to be back in time for the Royal Rumble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

leggo wrote: »
    Haven't seen or spoiled Raw yet so maybe they made sense of it, but I don't see how Cena would qualify for an immediate rematch in the storyline given the nature of his loss at SummerSlam. I know the rematch clause and all, but if that happened in UFC he'd be two fights away from getting another shot. And it's also a shocking business decision considering how big this PPV is for the Network: totally delegitimise Cena against Lesnar then give fans a rematch of this clear mismatch??? Lesnar/Rusev would probably pop a bigger number as at least there'd be intrigue.

Just on the ufc note though there was an exception recently for the bantamweight title I think where Dillashaw destroyed the champ but there is being an immediate rematch, I guess the thinking is if a previously dominant champ gets hammered it might have been a fluke

BwP9EYwCYAA6Hbn.jpg

Yippee

Could be a real shot in the arm for both.

Bwz3sezCMAAEtyT.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can see Brie coming in and taking out Nikki :rolleyes:

So it this the likely card?

WWE World Heavyweight Title Match
    John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE Tag Team Title Match
    Stardust and Goldust vs. The Usos

WWE Intercontinental Title Match
    The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler

WWE United States Title Match
    Cesaro vs. Sheamus

WWE Divas Title Match
    Nikki Bella vs. AJ Lee vs. Paige

Rusev vs. Mark Henry

Y2J vs. Randy Orton

Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

With Lesnar being a part time champ and all, WWE have a real opportunity to re-establish the IC title as important now. Merge it with the US Strap, and have the champ fight on the house shows.

Have different challengers each month. Real competitive wars. Have guys queue up to fight for the belt.

Reigns and Rollins 1v1 is a strange one. I'd have thought they'd have saved that for down the line.

They obviously won't have Reigns lose and having Rollins job out cleanly would be monumentally stupid.

DQ/No contest is the only way I see that going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I read on another forum they are thinking of doing a 6 man tag of Reigns/Y2J/Ambrose v Wyatt/Orton/Rollins at NoC. Think that would work better for keeping Rollins and Reigns strong, have Jericho take the pin, no harm done.

LeeJM wrote: »
    I read on another forum they are thinking of doing a 6 man tag of Reigns/Y2J/Ambrose v Wyatt/Orton/Rollins at NoC. Think that would work better for keeping Rollins and Reigns strong, have Jericho take the pin, no harm done.

It would be a logical thing to do but;

If they are wanting to push Reigns as the man of the company, they need to have him wrestling 1v1 matches and improving that aspect of his work.

Frankly, I doubt the man can wrestle a 20-25 minute match and not put everyone to sleep right now. The top guy has to do that, and be capable of calling the match too. Cena for all his flaws, is well capable of wrestling 30 minutes and having a great match. Wrestling for 15-20 mins with a guy of Rollins experience will benefit Reigns.

You can only go on doing 6 man tags and hiding a guys short comings for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Reigns and Rollins 1v1 is a strange one. I'd have thought they'd have saved that for down the line.

They obviously won't have Reigns lose and having Rollins job out cleanly would be monumentally stupid.

Ambrose to interfere and cause a DQ.
    He's being advertised for the Raw the night after NOC so a surprise return at the PPV is quite likely.

It would be a logical thing to do but;

If they are wanting to push Reigns as the man of the company, they need to have him wrestling 1v1 matches and improving that aspect of his work.

Frankly, I doubt the man can wrestle a 20-25 minute match and not put everyone to sleep right now. The top guy has to do that, and be capable of calling the match too. Cena for all his flaws, is well capable of wrestling 30 minutes and having a great match. Wrestling for 15-20 mins with a guy of Rollins experience will benefit Reigns.

You can only go on doing 6 man tags and hiding a guys short comings for so long.

Oh yea I agree he does need to work on his 1v1 matches but they can do alot of that at house shows. Maybe do the 6 man at NoC, 1v1 with Kane at Hell in a Cell lower in the card maybe a quick squash to get rid of Kane for a while, try build a feud with Wyatt for through Survivors and TLC then you are into Rumble build. You would hope he will get that ability to do the WWE main event match in the next 6-8 months. But thats all it is hope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    With Lesnar being a part time champ and all, WWE have a real opportunity to re-establish the IC title as important now. Merge it with the US Strap, and have the champ fight on the house shows.

Have different challengers each month. Real competitive wars. Have guys queue up to fight for the belt.

This. Although I wouldn't probably merge the championships for another few months. With Lesnar probably not around for next while after NOC, let both titles take centre stage and build a program between both champions for Survivor Series. Plenty of space on the three hour RAWS for an interesting feud to develop.... but more than likely the Authority and that godawful Bella program will continue to take centre-stage....

And what about Kane?

• Advertisement

And what about Kane?

He's Corporate Kane he doesn't need to be in the match. He can interfere for the screwy finish if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He's Corporate Kane he doesn't need to be in the match. He can interfere for the screwy finish if needs be.

If it happened, I'd say he would be in it ahead of Wyatt

Never since Cena brought the soldiers and the Make A Wish kids the Wrestling media in general are talking more and more about the possibility Cena will win NoC.

Cena Wins LOL. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Ambrose Return / Kane/Another Interference. DQ win for Reigns

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

Make Cena a paul heyman guy at the PPV, he's beat up and broken. Working as a heel would protect him more for a few years.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    If it happened, I'd say he would be in it ahead of Wyatt

I would guess Show is next for Wyatt

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I would have rather a Show/Henry Vs. Wyatt Family feud. I have no interest in seeing either Big Show or Mark Henry in singles action these days.

The thought of a Big Show / Brat Wyatt match is very upsetting. Wyatt works best with smaller more athletic opponents.

I just wish those broken down, slow, years past their prime old men would just effing retire.

Kane, Big Show, Henry. Feck off the lot of ye.

You're right, and it sounds like the worst match ever. These guys are Raw/Smackdown superstars at this stage. Nothing worth watching about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Loughc wrote: »
    I would have rather a Show/Henry Vs. Wyatt Family feud. I have no interest in seeing either Big Show or Mark Henry in singles action these days.

The thought of a Big Show / Brat Wyatt match is very upsetting. Wyatt works best with smaller more athletic opponents.

Same for me - the BIG Show and Mark Henry as individuals are just dragging the WWE down. They simply don't have the in-ring technical ability any more to excite the crowd. Couldn't see a 7 year old getting pumped about a Big Show or Mark Henry match. Mark Henry is probably the most one dimensional wrestler I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I just wish those broken down, slow, years past their prime old men would just effing retire.

Kane, Big Show, Henry. Feck off the lot of ye.

Did Kane ever hav prime years?
    Actually I like to get Kane, R-Truth, Damien sandown and Jack swagger and put them in a boat and sail them the feck away from WWE. There is plenty of yung talent in the WWE/NXT holding pens.

Mark Henry is awesome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did Kane ever hav prime years?
    Actually I like to get Kane, R-Truth, Damien sandown and Jack swagger and put them in a boat and sail them the feck away from WWE. There is plenty of yung talent in the WWE/NXT holding pens.

Bit harsh about sandow and swagger. Swagger was enjoying a great run of late till they decided to toss henry into the mix. Sandow is a great worker, under utilised for years now but still makes the most of a bad deal. Actually enjoying his 'Mizdow' run of late too!

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Mark Henry is awesome.

In 2011, sure.

In 2011, sure.

Always.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement