Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal killed in Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

PLUG71 wrote: »
    What a load off crap!!

These kids are old enough to know what they were doing was causing distress and pain, but lets just make excuses and blame their backgrounds!!!:mad:

How do you even know what age they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Roquentin wrote: »
    How do you even know what age they are?

My son is three and he knows that hurting animals is bad!

So I guess that as these little turds were out on their own without supervision from their parents they must be off an age to know the diffrence between right and wrong.

Its called a calculated guess!

Then their are people like you that will defend the poor children that come from terrible backgrounds etc etc etc!

Makes my blood boil to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Why do so many people on here argue with one another??! Bottom line-these people have done wrong. It's an absolute sin if they get away with it. And you know what, they will probably do it again and again.
    Age has been mentioned, and yes he is a young lad if the story i hear is correct. It doesn't take long for people to talk. Galway is too small.

So I guess that as these little turds were out on their own without supervision from their parents they must be off an age to know the diffrence between right and wrong.

They have been brought up not to know the difference between right and wrong. Thats my point. The reason why you or i would not do this, is not because we are inherently good people or born good, its because we have had good childhoods, with parents that taught us right and wrong.

These kids are a product of their environment. The man you are today can be traced back to your childhood.

Then their are people like you that will defend the poor children that come from terrible backgrounds etc etc etc!

I am not defending them. I simply observe what i see and i look at pattern. The fact that travellers across the country ill treat their animals shows that something is going wrong in the way those kids are educated and by education i mean at home and school.

Also i am thinking of trying to do something in the long term. Short term is putting them in prison, and they should be in prison. But long term is tackling the problem on a bigger scale. The government should be targeting the traveller community more.

Makes my blood boil to be honest.
    I am laughing my head off that you are getting mad at an LCD screen. Grow up FFS. You dont even know me. The sun is shining, try and enjoy it. Life is short

Why do so many people on here argue with one another??! Bottom line-these people have done wrong. It's an absolute sin if they get away with it. And you know what, they will probably do it again and again.
    Age has been mentioned, and yes he is a young lad if the story i hear is correct. It doesn't take long for people to talk. Galway is too small.

Yea, but my point is that next month or next year you will get repetition of the crime by someone else.

The kid should be in trouble, but putting one kid in jail, wont stop another kid, because the whole system is flawed.

Travellers treat their animals bad, so the whole must be targeted rather than the individual. It is the system that is broke, not just one individual

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I am not defending them. I simply observe what i see and i look at pattern. The fact that travellers across the country ill treat their animals shows that something is going wrong in the way those kids are educated and by education i mean at home and school.
    We have yet to be provided with a single example of this discrimination against traveller children at school.
    And before you start, I was at school with some of them myself, so my anecdote beats the ****e out of anything you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

These children are a product of their surroundings and upbringing. They were not born foal beaters.

The problem is inherently deeper than that and the whole traveller community need to something within their own community to stop these types of behaviours.

No one in their right mind thinks this is acceptable, but most in their right mind know that people are not born evil. There is a way to help not only the animal world but those who perpetrate these cruelties rather than stick waving and blood boiling.
    I hope the particular community works together to not only locate those who did it, but work out a way to stop it happening again.

dharma200 wrote: »
    I hope the particular community works together to not only locate those who did it, but work out a way to stop it happening again.
    Not a hope in hell.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    We have yet to be provided with a single example of this discrimination against traveller children at school.
    And before you start, I was at school with some of them myself, so my anecdote beats the ****e out of anything you've got.

http://www.thejournal.ie/traveller-loses-legal-case-over-right-to-attend-local-school-345270-Feb2012/

Schools can choose who they take in. Colleges cannot. Schools go through carefully who they are taking in and try and weed out any students who would be deemed a potential trouble maker.

I thought you were dating the 47 models....

They have been brought up not to know the difference between right and wrong. Thats my point. The reason why you or i would not do this, is not because we are inherently good people or born good, its because we have had good childhoods, with parents that taught us right and wrong.

These kids are a product of their environment. The man you are today can be traced back to your childhood.

Also i am thinking of trying to do something in the long term. Short term is putting them in prison, and they should be in prison. But long term is tackling the problem on a bigger scale. The government should be targeting the traveller community more.

I am laughing my head off that you are getting mad at an LCD screen. Grow up FFS. You dont even know me. The sun is shining, try and enjoy it. Life is short

Thankyou for your expert opinion!:rolleyes:

I will try to grow up and enjoy the weather.:rolleyes:

You are right life is to short.

The government will do fcuk all as well you know because of the ridiculous softly softly approach that is apparent everyday in this country regarding certain groups of people.

• Advertisement

These children are a product of their surroundings and upbringing. They were not born foal beaters.

The problem is inherently deeper than that and the whole traveller community need to something within their own community to stop these types of behaviours.

No one in their right mind thinks this is acceptable, but most in their right mind know that people are not born evil. There is a way to help not only the animal world but those who perpetrate these cruelties rather than stick waving and blood boiling.

I agree with your points. But to stop it happening again, something bigger has to be done. You have to look at how these kids are raised and educated. You educate kids and teach them compassion and emphathy and you can minimize the damage.

I can guarantee that you will still see the same thing happening year after year because the system produces this behaviour. These kids like you say are not born animal abusers, they are created through childhood.

So your example of a school discriminating against a traveller is... a link to an article where a court conclusively proved there was no discrimination.
    Which side of this argument are you on exactly? :D

Thankyou for your expert opinion!:rolleyes:

I will try to grow up and enjoy the weather.:rolleyes:

You are right life is to short.

The government will do fcuk all as well you know because of the ridiculous softly softly approach that is apparent everyday in this country regarding certain groups of people.

the government only act if they are put under pressure and unfortunately, to most people abuse of animals is of a lesser crime than abuse of humans.

Someone is setting up a petition, that my gain some press.

Even the papers dont print these stories, which says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

this story was printed in many national papers.

So your example of a school discriminating against a traveller is... a link to an article where a court conclusively proved there was no discrimination.
    Which side of this argument are you on exactly? :D

You do realize this is a forum and your grandstanding is utterly futile.

You are basically nit picking at everything i post and picking out and saying this and that. Basically you are bored and looking for trouble, a bit like the kids who beat up the foal for no reason.

So Sir, leave me alone.

this story was printed in many national papers.

not on the front page though

You are basically nit picking at everything i post and picking out and saying this and that. Basically you are bored and looking for trouble, a bit like the kids who beat up the foal for no reason.

So Sir, leave me alone.

So you are right and everybody else is wrong because posters are challenging your posts?

So Sir, leave me alone.
    Ah right. So when you make wild assertions and then you yourself provide links that prove the exact opposite of your assertions that's just nit picking and as bad as kicking a baby animal to death.
    Priceless stuff. Are you here all week?

So you are right and everybody else is wrong because posters are challenging your posts?

You said that, not me

You said that, not me

That's a little childish

• Advertisement

That's a little childish

you said that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

This thread started because of the disgust that was felt over the treatment of defenceless animals. Now look where it's at:(.

It's hardly surprising that nothing gets done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

*stares into distance looking for topic*

you said that as well
    *You* said travellers were excluded from schools and then proved yourself that you had it arseways. You'd prefer we all forgot that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Not a hope in hell.

And that right there, is discrimination in action. It's only a post on a forum, but it's someone giving an judgement about an entire sub-section of people, based on the actions of individuals. I know it's your opinion and that's fair enough but then don't say there's no discrimination if you've already made your mind up about everyone in that community.

Again, seen plenty of settled kids in Dublin be cruel to animals, so it can't be just the 'minority' thing at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Sick fcukers should receive the same punishment!

Awaits lash back from all the 'do gudders'!!

For sure. It's a sick act and should be severely punished. Regardless if who did it.

inisboffin wrote: »
    And that right there, is discrimination in action. It's only a post on a forum, but it's someone giving an judgement about an entire sub-section of people, based on the actions of individuals. I know it's your opinion and that's fair enough but then don't say there's no discrimination if you've already made your mind up about everyone in that community.

Again, seen plenty of settled kids in Dublin be cruel to animals, so it can't be just the 'minority' thing at work.
    And what about the whataboutery?
    There's a culture of brutality to animals in the traveller community. My opinion does not alter this fact any more than my opinion will make them live longer or more of their babies survive childbirth or more of their children finish their education.

And what about the whataboutery?
    There's a culture of brutality to animals in the traveller community. My opinion does not alter this fact any more than my opinion will make them live longer or more of their babies survive childbirth or more of their children finish their education.

By that token there is a 'culture' of child abuse in Ireland, so let's plug that in to a discussion and see how that reads?
    Someone say in another country posts re possible solutions

"I hope the particular community works together to not only locate those who did it, but work out a way to stop it happening again."

And you reply with:

"Not a hope in hell..."

Not only inaccurate, but discriminatory and more importantly, not helping anything imo.

inisboffin wrote: »
    By that token there is a 'culture' of child abuse in Ireland, so let's plug that in to a discussion and see how that reads?
    Someone say in another country posts re possible solutions

"I hope the particular community works together to not only locate those who did it, but work out a way to stop it happening again."

And you reply with:

"Not a hope in hell..."

Not only inaccurate, but discriminatory and more importantly, not helping anything imo.
    Nice try.
    "Having a culture of" implies there is a higher incidence of than would be expected. Ireland doesn't really have a higher rate of child abuse than other countries.
    However, travellers do have a higher incidence of animal cruelty, drunkeneness, unemployment, school absentention and criminality than their Irish peers.
    Hard luck. Maybe your next illogical non-sequitur will stick a bit better?

• Advertisement

Nice try.
    "Having a culture of" implies there is a higher incidence of than would be expected. Ireland doesn't really have a higher rate of child abuse than other countries.
    However, travellers do have a higher incidence of animal cruelty, drunkeneness, unemployment, school absentention and criminality than their Irish peers.
    Hard luck. Maybe your next illogical non-sequitur will stick a bit better?

Nice try? Is this a competition. I'm giggling as to how one would measure 'drunkenness'. Perhaps you mean alcohol consumption rate? My issue is not necessarily with your opinion about the group, my issue is that you don't see it as discrimination to not only tar an entire group with the same brush, but also to judge that there is no hope for any solution to these problems, nor willingness in the community to solve them.

And discrimination doesn't have to be based on facts. I was abroad really recently and two people said: "Oh you guys have a horrible child abuse problem, don't you?" What do you mean I asked them. They then went on to cite an article about the Tuam babies which had a ***much higher than average*** incidence of infant mortality as the reason that they thought this.

Did they say 'not a hope in hell' of Ireland stopping this? No. Because they know that it wasn't the whole country. A group having a higher than average problem rate *does NOT* mean that everyone in that group is responsible, nor does it mean that we shouldn't advocate for change.

Advertisement