Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washing a Browning jacket with gore-tex

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Need info on any special instructions on how to wash a Browning jacket.The jacket has a gore-tex lining inside it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Need info on any special instructions on how to wash a Browning jacket.The jacket has a gore-tex lining inside it.

Nikwax tech wash or grangers extreme powerful wash, tumble dry if the care label says so,if not, line dry in a warm room. This reactivates the water repellent (beading) finish but won't reproof it. If it needs reproofing, use Nikwax tx direct, if the garment is lined, ie mesh or fleece etc use the spray on waterproofing, if it's a light unlined jacket use the wash in one. Do not use the wash in waterproofing for lined jackets as it will ruin the breathability. That should be all you need.
    LR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Longranger wrote: »
    Nikwax tech wash or grangers extreme powerful wash, tumble dry if the care label says so,if not, line dry in a warm room. This reactivates the water repellent (beading) finish but won't reproof it. If it needs reproofing, use Nikwax tx direct, if the garment is lined, ie mesh or fleece etc use the spray on waterproofing, if it's a light unlined jacket use the wash in one. Do not use the wash in waterproofing for lined jackets as it will ruin the breathability. That should be all you need.
    LR
    Also may I add use washing crystals instead of powder

Also may I add use washing crystals instead of powder

Quite right, powder can leave a residue that is a hoor to get out. As long as it's detergent free you can use them as detergent removes the water repellent finish on the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thanks for all the replies.There is a Nikwax product that comes in a twin bottle pack as it were.Tech Wash in one bottle and TX Direct in another bottle.Is one of them a washing agent.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.There is a Nikwax product that comes in a twin bottle pack as it were.Tech Wash in one bottle and TX Direct in another bottle.Is one of them a washing agent.

Tech wash for washing, tx direct for reproofing

are the 2 to be used together or are they used separately

are the 2 to be used together or are they used separately

Separately

Thanks for help deerhunter much appreciated

Thanks for help deerhunter much appreciated

Your welcome that is what we are here for;)

• Advertisement

Hate to be a pain in the ass lads but I have received my Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct.The inner lining of the jacket says a 30 degree wash.And the jacket a 40 degree wash.Is it ok to put both in the washing machine together for a 40 degree wash with the Tech Wash.No 30 degree wash on machine.

Then wash the jacket only with the Tx.Direct Wash-In at 40 degree.

Hate to be a pain in the ass lads but I have received my Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct.The inner lining of the jacket says a 30 degree wash.And the jacket a 40 degree wash.Is it ok to put both in the washing machine together for a 40 degree wash with the Tech Wash.No 30 degree wash on machine.

Then wash the jacket only with the Tx.Direct Wash-In at 40 degree.

Ya I done it with no issues

That was quick.It is a smashing jacket and I would hate to ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

That was quick.It is a smashing jacket and I would hate to ruin it.

Just on the very off chance that you have an issue with gore tex, a light tumble dry is often good enough to keep it waterproof and breathable. You will be grand with the wash though as its not as sensitive as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Just to add that I used the Nikwax reproofer with a British Army surplus Gore-Tex jacket and trousers. I followed the instructions to the letter and the results were absolutely fantastic. Like new.

It's a bit surprising when you take the jacket out of the tumble dryer and it's still hot :)

Top class products.

PS: The only thing I deviated from the instructions on was to give the garments an extra rinse after the wash. My machine is designed to use as little water as possible, and I wanted to make sure that all the detergent was washed out before using the reproofer. That's just particular to my machine though. If yours is old enough to not have a 30C wash, lack of rinsing shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy.

Advertisement