Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to do with a new garden

• 09-12-2003 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

I've just moved into a newly built house, the developers left the garden in a right mess of blocks, bricks, cement etc mixed into the soil. Should I just bring in topsoil on top of the mess or should I try clean out the rubbish first.
    Cleaning out the rubbish will mean picking up the surface stuff, digging with a fork for the sub-surface stuff and then rotavating the compacted soil (whih may mean removing more rubbish).
    Top soil is available nearby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Plant turf now.

You will get a 'great' crop come spring.

Paddy Mc Hegartys fully Irish owned garden centre, off Seamus St is doing some 'hot steamy' deals on all brands of turf seed, Hurrrrry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to get the builder to remove the concrete blocks etc. - were there concrete blocks in the show house garden?

You need to think ahead 2-5 years as to what you want the garden to do. If it is a tiny garden, then it might be worthwhile **not** putting down grass and oding paving / gravel etc. very low maintainence, add shrubs and climbers around the edges, although that isn't very child friendly.

Be careful with bringing in topsoil that your garden doesn't end up too high and draining onto the path / into your kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

get rid of all the rubbish and get a rotevator in and seed her, it will take about four weeks but shell be ready for the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Wow talk about a zombie thread. This must be a new record? Bringing up an 11yr old thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

If you can rake it out level I wouldnt bother taking any of the rubble unless you want to plant veg,even if you have to get I'm a bit of topsoil to skim over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

If you can rake it out level I wouldnt bother taking any of the rubble unless you want to plant veg,even if you have to get I'm a bit of topsoil to skim over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

you might end up clipping the rubble with the rotovator though and making a Hanes of it, best way is to pick all the stones and rubble, throw down some round up to kill off the weeds and old grass, rotovate and then seed her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement