Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan parking in Dublin City

Options
  • 05-06-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,Does anyone know of somewhere safe in Dublin City to park a campervan.The only place I can find on line is Camac Vally park.We are going to a concert so traveling all the way out there after a gig is not an option.Any suggestions would be great,Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Luas Park & Ride off M50
    Depends on time of concert.....will LUAS be running when concert ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

often see campervans at Howth- with hook up so presume you can pay to stay and get supplies either through harbour company or the yaught club. They're parked facing out over the harbour- great location! You've the dart beside you then for getting into an out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

Eshaness wrote: »
    often see campervans at Howth- with hook up so presume you can pay to stay and get supplies either through harbour company or the yaught club. They're parked facing out over the harbour- great location! You've the dart beside you then for getting into an out of town.

i think fishermen own these motorhomes
    certainly one does(its on donedeal for sale)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2736306

however i think this is a good idea to stay in this vicinity and travel into the city by dart

i did once travel to the point(as it was known then)with the camper and parked up while we went to a show
    arrived early
    parked on the main road(north wall quay)
    had the tea,went to the show,came out,had the supper
    traffic died down
    drove out of dublin and parked up outside a remote national school that i had previously came across

camper was fine (although i was a little concerned)
    i had left it fairly visable to passing traffic and pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

You could park at the Topaz Filling station/Truck Stop in Dublin Port. Its mostly truckers that use it and there is S-it hot security there. There are also other facilities like showers and so on. Its very close to The Point Depot.Its probably the best you will get near where you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Found the coordinates for topaz service station 53.353566,-6.211993
    Street view is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Topaz couldn't be simpler, straight down the quays past hireco and its on the first roundabout you come to.

Can be a busy spot some nights. I've had trouble parking in there before. And its only free for the first four hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

camper guy wrote: »
    Found the coordinates for topaz service station 53.353566,-6.211993
    Street view is brilliant.

How did you get the coordinates btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi dickwod1,
    I use google maps, and when i get near the spot im looking for right click the mouse on computer , select whats here the coordinates should display on your browser .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Topaz looks a good option. OP, is that what you used? I am interested in how this worked out.

• Advertisement

Was in Topaz yesterday. New parking rates which are very affordable

up to 6 hours FREE

6- 12 hours €5

12- 24 hours €10

Hope this is of benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Does the topaz place have electric hookups? Or is it just a parking spot?

The end of Hanover Quay on Grand canal dock is a good spot for wild camping. 30+ free parking spaces. Very pretty. Across the river from the O2. Everyone there lives in barges so they're quite understanding.
    I've been using it for a year once every fortnight or so, never any problems.
    If your motor's longer than a MWB Sprinter you may have trouble fitting in though.
    Area is patrolled by vangaurd security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mollo

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions,Loads of options here.Looking forward to getting on the road again!Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boomoo

I concur with Sir Liamalot - Hanover Quay is a grand spot, city centre location, lovely river view, plenty of parking and surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night... at least until the Viking Splash tours started at 9am Sunday!!
    Have to admit started to get a little concerned as the night progressed that we would return to find van burnt out, but really had no trouble whatsoever.
    Happy camping!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Outside

Hi all,

I am running Dublin marathon on Monday morning. I'm planning on driving to Dublin on Sunday to collect race pack and stroll around Dublin to soak up the atmosphere and eat, lots!

What is overnight street parking like in the city area? It being a Sunday and bank holiday Monday the parking will be free right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Going by the recomendations, hanover quay must have changed a lot. I used to work there in the 90's. Place was a ratrun from ringsend to the city centre. If you locked your keys into your car all you had to do was ask a passing teenager to open it for you.

Bank Holidays are treated the same as Sundays by Dublin City Council regarding parking. Loading bays are free and street parking is charged at a reduced rate and you only have to pay for 4 hours. Clearways and bus lanes stating the exemption is Mon - Sat are also free.

Hanover quay has been reoccupied by the travelling community it would appear.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Any suitable overnight motorhome parking/camping locations in the RDS area?

• Advertisement

Which day(s) of the week?

Which day(s) of the week?
    A Friday night in June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I see buses that have brought people to the Aviva stadium parked on the Pembroke road end of Wellington road. It's pay and display in the day but free overnight and handy for town and the RDS.

Thanks Lads!
    Have ye seen campervans parked overnight on the roads ye mention?
    Would it be safe there overnight?

Safe as houses there it's the posh district. Might be a bit busy though, I'd be up the Sally Gap after the gig, great views for breakfast lots of pull-ins.

Thanks. But would you be wanted camping overnight on the street in the posh district!

Close the curtains. You'll be grand. Simmonscourt Rd. isn't residential anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Simmonscourt Extension has car and coach parking for any events in the area. Access off Simmonscourt Rd. I'm sure they'd allow a campervan in for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

US Embassy at the bottom of Eglin Road should have 24hr Garda presence.

Advertisement