Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferries 2013

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

IF and CL available already for Summer 2013. CL even reporting their 6 berth cabins all sold out for crossings end of June !!! This must be the earliest ever.

Looking at €1300 (CL) to €1400 (IF) for 5 of us and van. CL definitely more expensive than last year.

With only €100 in difference it's IF for us. ONWARD.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

dfbemt wrote: »
    IF and CL available already for Summer 2013. CL even reporting their 6 berth cabins all sold out for crossings end of June !!! This must be the earliest ever.

Looking at €1300 (CL) to €1400 (IF) for 5 of us and van. CL definitely more expensive than last year.

With only €100 in difference it's IF for us. ONWARD.......

Agreed - if there is only a small gap in prices we will take the IF route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Looked at Prices for end June Out and back 3 weeks later; Van +2
    CL = 1013
    IF = 1116
    BF = 1366

IF wins this year = difference of 103 not enough to opt for the smaller tug
    BF = nice but no thanks (although the difference is much smaller between them and IF this time - by about 200 less than last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Booked Brittany ferries yesterday for next year depart 13 July back 4 weeks later for 4 (3adults and 1 child) rv and car trailer for €1515.15 with Celtic link it was €1504.00 but it would mean 587kms more if we left the last week in June Brittany ferries was €400 more so check date of travel for the best price it looks like they put their prices up for the end of national school term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gezza1

Just booked IF for the last 2 weeks of August for next year 700 Euros (2 adults and 2 kids with cabin) with my discount code which got me an extra 10% off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

gezza1 wrote: »
    Just booked IF for the last 2 weeks of August for next year 700 Euros (2 adults and 2 kids with cabin) with my discount code which got me an extra 10% off!

What discount code ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Tell me more about this code too! Just about to pull the trigger on next years ferry! Every little helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

10% off with IF until Dec 16th with code francec13, just booked for July-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Has anyone any tips/advice for getting good ferry prices. I'm restricted by school hols but is end June going to be cheaper than travelling in July or August?
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Looking at each companies site they are more expensive at end of June compared to July August.

Check your dates to confirm :

http://www.brittanyferries.ie

http://www.irishferries.com/gb/index.asp

http://www.celticlinkferries.com

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

would it not be cheaper to cross to england £350 and get the euro tunnel to france,are they not about £65 return

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

SHIFTER wrote: »
    would it not be cheaper to cross to england £350 and get the euro tunnel to france,are they not about £65 return

Didn't realise it was so cheap for a camper. had a look at various dates may to july and it was max 90 quid each way.
    Wales to folkestone is only 80 quid in diesel - no worries about pets in kennels, claustrophobic cabins / pullman seats, plus I have a load of family and friends scattered along the way. Thats a winner I'd say.
    Does it get booked out in summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

No need to book until a couple fo days before you go as Irish side never busy.

Get an evening ferry from Rosslare or Dublin and drive a couple of hours and pull in for a sleep in the motorway services, this will bring you down for about Lunchtime if you wish.

Also look at the ferry prices from Dover, they can often be half of the tunnel fare, in other words €50 or less each way.

We have used this route for about 10 years and it normally works out just over half the price

Finyar

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

SHIFTER wrote: »

Can't speak for peak July-August prices, but best price I ever got for our yoke on the ferry to UK was GBP360= about €450 at current exchange rate. Add the tank of diesel (Fishguard-Dover & back) and the circa GBP50 on Dover-Calais and you are easily up to €600 by my reckoning.

For the past 3/4 years with either Irish Ferries or Celtic Link, Rosslare-Cherbourg RTN has been as cheap as €340 and no more than €460 for the same vehicle and same passengers.

I've priced the landbridge option, I can't get it cheaper than Rosslare-Cherbourg direct with Irish Ferries or Celtic Link. Am I missing something other than getting deals with caravan clubs or fe*king tesco vouchers!!

Can't speak for peak July-August prices, but best price I ever got for our yoke on the ferry to UK was GBP360= about €450 at current exchange rate. Add the tank of diesel (Fishguard-Dover & back) and the circa GBP50 on Dover-Calais and you are easily up to €600 by my reckoning.

For the past 3/4 years with either Irish Ferries or Celtic Link, Rosslare-Cherbourg RTN has been as cheap as €340 and no more than €460 for the same vehicle and same passengers.

I've priced the landbridge option, I can't get it cheaper than Rosslare-Cherbourg direct with Irish Ferries or Celtic Link. Am I missing something other than getting deals with caravan clubs or fe*king tesco vouchers!!

With 5 passengers you end up needing two feckin cabins each way or a cabin and a pullman chair and smelly dog needs a kennel. Then if your van pokes into the next height bracket they screw you some more. Last two years the cheapest we saw for june-august was 1100 average was 1300 at least 50% of which is the 8 x 12 four bed room - (I'm a man of means by no means king of the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    you are doing it wrong I fear.

Its cheaper to buy the landbridge for both crossings together as one ticket over the phone.
    for a <6m motorhome with stena its 198 midweek at the height of summer, and still only 300 odd Euro for the largest class of a motorhome. Off season its cheaper but sure the ferry to France is far more affordable also aside from the mid-summer peak.
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/landbridge-to-europe/fare-finder/
    Irish ferries also do a one ticket landbridge for similar prices
    http://www.irishferries.com/ie/fares-landbridge.asp#po-dover

I've seen another deal via a travel agency in Germany where Irish ferries dont charge extra (or minimal- I cant remember the exact details) for passengers going via landbridge over the 2nd passenger so for larger groups another option for saving money.

Its cheaper to buy the landbridge for both crossings together as one ticket over the phone.
    for a <6m motorhome with stena its 198 midweek at the height of summer, and still only 300 odd Euro for the largest class of a motorhome. Off season its cheaper but sure the ferry to France is far more affordable also aside from the mid-summer peak.

I've seen another deal via a travel agency in Germany where Irish ferries dont charge extra (or minimal- I cant remember the exact details) for passengers going via landbridge over the 2nd passenger so for larger groups another option for saving money.

OMG never saw that before thats incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Used to do this trip on a regular basis before celtic Link came into being. Rosslare/Fishguard evening sailing , stay in car park at exit from docks. Following morning a leisurly trip down M4 to Dover for a 2300hrs sailing to Calais. Could cross UK for a half tank of diesel doing 80KPH. Another night at car park on docks. Fill up with fuel at auchen before heading where ever the wind blew us.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

That sounds good - already booked for this year but might keep it in mind for the future as we have grown another passenger recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Regarding the free trip to Britain offered by Irish Ferries because we travelled to France with them last year. ( Car, 2 adults + 3 kids )

Supplements apply for travel in July and August. or weekends

Supplements apply for extra children.

Does anyone know how much the supplements are?

any opinions welcome please. We are going through the tunnel this year for a change so trying to price up a trip and my head is wrecked from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

juneg

The travel supplement for peak times is €120.

http://www.irishferries.com/ie/fares-offers-free-trip-to-britain13.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Is that €120 per car or per person or per sailing do you know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

If you follwo the link, in the 2nd last post, you will get all the answers you need

Advertisement