Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of house foundations

Options
  • 22-10-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Any info on how much it would cost for foundations on a 1500 squre foot house...??? The plot is an old bog, not sure if there's extra drilling etc...!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Move from Boards.ie > Soc > Infrastructure > Roads

It a bog, 'bog' means 'soft'. Foundations need to be fairly solid. It other words, it's a money hole.

326094.jpg

Come back when your engineer has a design. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Flynner101 wrote: »
    Any info on how much it would cost for foundations on a 1500 squre foot house...??? The plot is an old bog, not sure if there's extra drilling etc...!!

may well = piles: no one would be able to give you any idea of cost without an engineering design and investigation into soil strength

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭893bet

Your absolute minimum cost will be in the region of 17-20k including vat. This would be for a simple strip foundation on good ground with no surprises.

On boggy ground you could easily be multiples of this figure.

You need an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

we just put up a house on piles on wetland for someone. Piling and foundations was 30k.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

893bet wrote: »
    Your absolute minimum cost will be in the region of 17-20k including vat. This would be for a simple strip foundation on good ground with no surprises.

On boggy ground you could easily be multiples of this figure.

You need an engineer.

This is 100% on the money. We have just finished foundations in our 2100 sq ft house. Great ground, no surprises and nothing fancy. Cost is coming in at just over 18k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Flynner101

Any idea how much an engineer would cost...??

Any idea how much an engineer would cost...??

Any chance ya could tell me wat the cost was for plans, engineer, foundations, etc, just trying to get a ball park figure before I jump head first into something.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Have you planning or an architect on board. Are you aware of s.9 that came into effect in March.

At the moment I'm only looking at a site, just trying to get ball park figures just to see if I'm not kidding myself.. No planner on board or no clue about S9....???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Flynner101 wrote: »
    no clue about S9....???

Well your in for some shock

If your worried about foundation & engineer costs wait till you see what other hidden costs are waiting for you.

Where can I look up all about S9...??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its SI 9 of 2014

and you could start here

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its SI 9 of 2014

and you could start here

.... this'll be interesting. ... [waits..] :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

At first You to do survey on the soil, if it's a bog, than how deep is the solid ground. than You need drainage around Your foundations to keep water level down. It can be costly to work, depending on water levels. First get engineer to make a project and plan for it.

Update: got a quote today to pile a house 16m x 6m : €13,500 ex VAT. Add all the normal foundation costs on top of that.

Ode To The Motorist

Read up a good bit about si9, to be honest seems good, stops all these bandits building houses when they couldn't build a dog box, talked to a few builder I know and they said at the top end might only add an extra €5-€10 grand on top of prices. Am I being fed a load of ****e...???

Doesn't seem that bad, so normal foundation costs could be max €15-€20, add €13.5, not that bad....!!!

Advertisement