Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city safe at night?

Options
  • 12-05-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    My sister has to get a bus from Limerick to Dublin at 4am from Arthur's Quay. She will have to park in Harvey's Quay as that seems to be the nearest car park open at that time of the night (or very early morning, whatever you want to call it).

Is it safe for her to walk alone at this time of night from the multi-story to where the bus stops? I've heard that some parts of the city have a bad reputation but, does anyone know if this is an okay place for a woman to be walking alone at night?

I would be grateful for any helpful responses from people that live in the area or have any knowledge of it really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it JJ Kavanagh? I wouldn't like any of my female friends to be standing at the side of the road at 4am in any town or city alone.

Is it the Dublin Coach?(times don't match) If so then she should park out in UL. It's €2 to exit(not enter or per hour/day) so she can park there instead. The Dublin Coach passes through UL. Much safer at that hour.

If she is going to the airport then of course JJ Kavanagh will go there but they are SO SLOW as they barely stay on the Motorways(they go through nearly every town like the Motorway was never built). You're quicker getting the Dublin Coach to Dublin then catching the Blue Air Coach from O'Connell Street. Few minutes walk across from Westmoreland Street where Green Dublin Coach stops or up the other way to the other stop by Trinity College/Grafton Street. (OR TAXI)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

Safe as any city at that hour of you are carefull.

She won't be the only one getting the bus so won't be waiting alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jess97mc

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Is it JJ Kavanagh?
    Yeah it is. But I just checked Dublin Coach and they actually go from Ennis which is handier for her. Thanks for the suggestion. She's actually trying to get to Belfast, but the buses that I've found meet at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

jess97mc wrote: »
    Yeah it is. But I just checked Dublin Coach and they actually go from Ennis which is handier for her. Thanks for the suggestion. She's actually trying to get to Belfast, but the buses that I've found meet at Dublin Airport.

Air Coach go from O'Connell Street to Belfast so she'd only need to walk across O'Connell Bridge in Dublin to catch the next one.

http://www.aircoach.ie/timetables/route-705-x-belfast-dublin-airport-dublin-city-express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I've done that route a few times. You have to jump out of the car and buzz yourself in, then walk over to Arthur's Quay.

It's actually grand, never had a problem, no one lurking about and all well lit.

But to be honest, just park at UL, much easier life. Still plenty space on the bus at that point. Nevertheless, I prefer to get on at Arthur's Quay to ensure I get one of the seats with the extra ball room. Hate being uncomfy on a bus journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hi,
    My sister has to get a bus from Limerick to Dublin at 4am from Arthur's Quay. She will have to park in Harvey's Quay as that seems to be the nearest car park open at that time of the night (or very early morning, whatever you want to call it).

Is it safe for her to walk alone at this time of night from the multi-story to where the bus stops? I've heard that some parts of the city have a bad reputation but, does anyone know if this is an okay place for a woman to be walking alone at night?

I would be grateful for any helpful responses from people that live in the area or have any knowledge of it really.

Thanks.

I'm from Limerick and NO WAY would I walk from Harvey's quay to Arthur's Quay on my own at that time of night.

I wouldn't walk alone in any city at that time of night.

I'm from Limerick and NO WAY would I walk from Harvey's quay to Arthur's Quay on my own at that time of night.

Why not? That's very strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Hi,

Thanks.
    off topic if she has a car she would be quicker driving to Dublin ??

afro man wrote: »
    off topic if she has a car she would be quicker driving to Dublin ??

That Dublin Coach bus is only a tenner, and brings you to Westmorland Street. The value is too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jess97mc

Thanks for all the responses! I think she will be getting the Dublin Coach one to Westmoreland St. instead as it actually goes from Ennis which is easier for her, then get an Aircoach from O'Connell St.

myshirt wrote: »
    Why not? That's very strange...

Why is it strange for a woman not to want to walk alone in any city at 4am in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

You don't have to get that bus from city centre. you can get it from UL also. my advice would be go to UL leave car there and go From there

Why is it strange for a woman not to want to walk alone in any city at 4am in the morning?

Why the fear is all, it's completely safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

893bet wrote: »

I agree - i recently got the 1am jj kavanaghs bus from Arthurs Quay (I was with my boyfriend) but there were at least 8 other people waiting too - im sure there will be even more at 4am.

Are you a woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Well guys fair play to ye because I would feel very vulnerable and scared walking alone in any city at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wouldn't dare walk around Limerick City at 4AM of all places.

Certain areas of town are OK to walk around at night. I've no problem walking anywhere in the city at all hours as ive been doing it since i was a kid but don't like the idea of women walking around at all hours.

• Advertisement

Its not. Never assume a city is completely safe

I am also a female and think this is a sad way to live. You can be smart about things and be careful - any place can be as dangerous or as safe as you make it.

I refuse to let me gender limit me in what i can and cant do.

Parchment wrote: »
    I am also a female and think this is a sad way to live. You can be smart about things and be careful - any place can be as dangerous or as safe as you make it.

I refuse to let me gender limit me in what i can and cant do.

Tell that to the likes of Larry Murphy.

:rolleyes:

That post is so stupid I cant comprehend it.

893bet wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

That post is so stupid I cant comprehend it.

Thanks for your judgement. It means so much :)

Thanks for your judgement. It means so much :)

No problem. The logic or lack of it is amazing.

By the way there was a car jacking in Dublin yesterday. Best not drive a car in Dublin ever again.

Also Larry Murphy stalked his victim for a month (http://crime.ie/20120402/larry-murphy-convicted-rapist-and-suspected-serial-killer/). Known for his careful planning. Doesnt really fit with the "will i get kidknapped, murdered and raped scenario" while walking a couple of 100 yards in Limerick at night.

Hi,

Thanks.

Sorry for derailing your thread. I hope that your sister gets to her destination safe and sound.
    All things considered, no matter what route she decides it's probably good that she know Limerick is no safer or less safe than any other Irish city so it's good to be aware and careful should she decide to walk alone in the early hours :)

I get where you are coming from but honestly i would rather live my life (being smart about risks) than sit at home worrying about what might or might not happen.

Its a big world out there - dont let others limit your enjoyment of it.

Parchment wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from but honestly i would rather live my life (being smart about risks) than sit at home worrying about what might or might not happen.

Its a big world out there - dont let others limit your enjoyment of it.

I agree. I've walked the streets of Limerick 3 sheets to the breeze when I was much younger. In hind sight it was very foolish.
    I might do it if I had to now but I'd be lying if I said my heart would not be in my mouth until I got into the bus.
    That goes for any city, not just Limerick.
    I love my home city and I'm very proud of it but that route that the OP's sister was planning on taking is lonely enough at that time of the early morning so it's no harm to be mindful of that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There is CCTV all over the city centre. Maybe years back it might have been more dangerous. I think it would be fine if you are careful.

Advertisement