Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How bad is traffic here these days outbound on a Friday evening at about 5:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Is this still opening this weekend?

They still have a huge amount of realignment work to do on either end on the fly over

I'd say another week would do it

Also, I have to say I think they have done a fantastic job on the flyover, and excluding a few blips they have done a really good job on keeping the traffic moving and lanes open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

How bad is traffic here these days outbound on a Friday evening at about 5:30?

No worse than before work started but its a bank holiday weekend so expect long delays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

paulbok wrote: »
    Doesn't ~5% of the budget of a road project have to go on the 'aesthetics' of the road.
    I've never heard of that, so if anything it's likely to just be recommended rather than mandatory.
    The lighting (fitting of the lights to the posts) is substantially done and the last gaps in the side barriers are complete.
    What lighting is being provided for this, is it high masts or lamp standards along the side on top of the flyover? LSs would be visible from a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

run of the mill lamps along each side of the project.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Doesn't ~5% of the budget of a road project have to go on the 'aesthetics' of the road. Usually this is in the form of trees along the side of the road and a wacky piece of artwork, so maybe the stone wall is it for this project?

The percent for art scheme requires 1% of the budget for smaller schemes, with set limits for the amount depending on the value of the construction works. The maximum per scheme is €64k. Don't think a stone wall would qualify as art though - I reckon the stone facing is more likely a planning requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

tipperary wrote: »
    I reckon the stone facing is more likely a planning requirement.
    Yup,
    Think it's mentioned in the EIS I linked earlier in the thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Upcoming changes
    From Tues 28th Oct to Thurs 30th Oct, all lanes, except the bus lane, of the N7 Naas Rd will be closed between J3 Citywest and the Green Isel Hotel from 10pm to 6am the following morning. This is to facilitate works.
    The middle lane of the Naas Rd outbound will be closed at the Red Cow Interchange from 10pm on Fri 31st Oct to 6am on Sat 1st Nov due to works.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Davy wrote: »
    Upcoming changes
    I think we can assume it will be open by next weekend then!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

I was speaking with a foreman who works on it at the weekend and it's opening in two weekends time (8th).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Passed it today, couldn't believe how much work has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I was speaking with a foreman who works on it at the weekend and it's opening in two weekends time (8th).

I also heard from an engineer friend they're 2 weeks behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I also heard from an engineer friend they're 2 weeks behind.

I doubt they're 2 weeks behind overall on the project plan. They look like they're going to be two weeks after this weekend for traffic over the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

jd wrote: »
    I doubt they're 2 weeks behind overall on the project plan. They look like they're going to be two weeks after this weekend for traffic over the new bridge.

That's what I meant, the flyover will be open in 2 weeks now (as long as no other delays occur)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

I asked him about it opening over the bank holiday and he said it was never scheduled to open then, but then again, someone mentioned a few pages back that letters had gone out saying it would.
    Anyway, the roads are a bit quieter this week with the schools off so really only 1 week of delays at Newlands left. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Heard on kfm this morning that it should be finished by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

beertons wrote: »
    Heard on kfm this morning that it should be finished by Christmas.

Said same on the Indo today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

STIG83 wrote: »
    Said same on the Indo today too.

that's probably the whole project including tidying up and realignment etc. The overpass will open before that.

Just look at the sarfields/Bandon rd overpass in Cork. Work is still continuing on that despite the fact the junctions have been open for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was looking at this last night. While stopped at the lights.

Is it me? or does the road look like two lanes rather than three? Seems rather narrow for three?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NSAman wrote: »
    Was looking at this last night. While stopped at the lights.

Is it me? or does the road look like two lanes rather than three? Seems rather narrow for three?

It is three each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

No hard shoulder on the flyover. Clever.

I hope the slip roads will be a good length because no doubt the traffic queing for Belgard will be heavy enough I'd imagine.

An Auxillary Lane or 2 Outbound between Red Cow Interchange and Newlands would be ideal!

pad199207 wrote: »
    No hard shoulder on the flyover. Clever.

I hope the slip roads will be a good length because no doubt the traffic queing for Belgard will be heavy enough I'd imagine.

An Auxillary Lane or 2 Outbound between Red Cow Interchange and Newlands would be ideal!

http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications/chapter-04.pdf

have a gander at the first few pages on the linked document above,
    might give a clearer view of what is proposed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I notice the traffic is shown driving on the right-hand side of the road in the flyover drawing :rolleyes:

I notice the traffic is shown driving on the right-hand side of the road in the flyover drawing :rolleyes:

the pdf Im looking at has them on the left.

rameire wrote: »
    the pdf Im looking at has them on the left.
    Just had another look, yes on the left.
    Some of the graphic cars have similar fronts to the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

line painting has started on the southbound side, can just see the yellow lines

heres the cam with lines on the road.

site16Camera85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

I see they have also turned on the Flyover Lights! Doesnt it look beautiful! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

i really wish they would hurry the -expletive- up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Camera turned around today - looks like one more lane to finish with asphalt

0037.jpg

Advertisement