Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dooradoyle

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I will be moving from Dublin to Limerick for work by the end of the month.
    I will be working in Abbeyfeale so was hoping to rent with others as I'm young (mid-twenties) and I want to meet new people.
    I'm thinking of staying in Dooradoyle because it's near the city and I'm thinking the commute won't be too bad as its south side of the city.

The only problem is I haven't come across many nice places with plenty room. A total of 18 in Dooradoyle on daft.ie.
    I don't mind paying between 400-500 euro if it means I've a big room.

Are there any alternative locations I should be looking at for bigger houses or more of a selection? Highest rent I've come across is €300 which is really cheap in comparison to Dublin but they're fairly bog standard rooms IMHO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

abby is about an 1 hr drive each way and adare can be a night mare to go through

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dave the bear

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    abby is about an 1 hr drive each way and adare can be a night mare to go through

Would you suggest anywhere else? I'll be working flexi-time so ideally I'll be leaving in the morning before any major traffic affects me.

I considered Tralee but it's an awful long way if I ever want to go back to Dublin on a weekend or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You'll be driving against the traffic flow at peak times, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Just in case, have you included Raheen in your search on Daft ?
    Same area as Dooradoyle, but should throw up some more options.

Also have a look at Castletroy/Monaleen...just an extra 7 or 8 minutes on the M/way to A/feale, but the right side of town for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Would you suggest anywhere else? I'll be working flexi-time so ideally I'll be leaving in the morning before any major traffic affects me.

I considered Tralee but it's an awful long way if I ever want to go back to Dublin on a weekend or something.

Newcastlewest. Would be cheaper than dooradoyle/raheen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

100% Newcastlewest.

There is great value to be had back there, and it is well populated with enough to do. If you do want to come into Limerick, Newcastlewest is well serviced by quality roads, though you have all you need in Newcastlewest.

Abbeyfeale itself is maybe a bit boring... but it all depends what floats your boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Newcastlewest and Listowel are both only about 15 minutes from Abbeyfeale, both reasonable mid-size towns, you would get to meet plenty of people going out in either. Tralee is about 30 mins drive would be the same. None would be the same as living in a city, but all have plenty of social options.

Personally, even though you would be going in the opposite direction to most of the rush hour traffic in Adare & NCW I still wouldn't opt for that commute if I was in your situation.

And your rental budget of €500 p.m. would get you a 3 bed semi-d all to yourself in the likes of Listowel!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of love for Newcastle West it seems so I'll add that to the search. I may have to commute to Mallow from time to time in the role so I will probably rule out Listowel for now.

The reason I'm sharing is essentially to meet new people and find my feet. Once I've done that I will probably take out a lease on my own place or even look into buying.

Thanks again!!

Working between Abbeyfeale and Mallow? I take it the job is with Kostal. Best of luck with it. Newcastle West would be an ideal location for you. Bang in the middle of both factories. Lived there myself for years and my family are still there. Living in Dooradoyle now and the thought of commuting from here to Abbeyfeale is a nightmare.

Working between Abbeyfeale and Mallow? I take it the job is with Kostal. Best of luck with it. Newcastle West would be an ideal location for you. Bang in the middle of both factories. Lived there myself for years and my family are still there. Living in Dooradoyle now and the thought of commuting from here to Abbeyfeale is a nightmare.

You'd be correct.

There is literally one house advertised for sharing on daft.ie/rent.ie in Newcastle West.

Does anyone know any other sources of house share adverts that might be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

good few of us lads working in construction, living in hotels mon to fri cos were too lazy to rent.

Personally I'd pay a good rate for a gaff on a week to week basis as I'm sick of the hotel. Pretty sure the lads would all so the same.

davo2001 wrote: »
    A quick search shows 7 houses:
    There is literally one house advertised for sharing on daft.ie/rent.ie in Newcastle West.

I'm not looking to take out a lease on my own initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Was wondering what Kostal did so I Googled them

Heh, I hope your there to redesign their website :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Maybe check the classifieds on the Limerick leader, or is there another free paper out in west limerick like the post in the city?

Rightwing wrote: »
    Maybe check the classifieds on the Limerick leader, or is there another free paper out in west limerick like the post in the city?

The weekly observer does west limerick but it ain't free

Don't think I can get my hands on either in Dublin anyway.

Enquired about the one in Newcastle West and it's taken.

I think I'll just keep an eye out this week and hope something else pops up, doesn't look likely so It's either get a place in Dooradoyle/Raheen and deal with the commute or take out a lease of my own in Newcastle West.

Don't think I can get my hands on either in Dublin anyway.

Enquired about the one in Newcastle West and it's taken.

I think I'll just keep an eye out this week and hope something else pops up, doesn't look likely so It's either get a place in Dooradoyle/Raheen and deal with the commute or take out a lease of my own in Newcastle West.

I'll be out in NCW at some point this week. Ill pick up a copy of the observer and see if there's anything worth your while in it. Its mainly an advertising paper for west limerick

I'll be out in NCW at some point this week. Ill pick up a copy of the observer and see if there's anything worth your while in it. Its mainly an advertising paper for west limerick

They'll write songs of your kindness! Thanks!

Advertisement