Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salthill Devon = laughing stock

• 25-02-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Salthill Devon are a laughing stock. They have sold their soul (and surrendered their name, colours, reputation and even their home ground.)

They are imitating Galway United's jersey. How pathetic.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/597752/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Salthill Devon are a laughing stock. They have sold their soul (and surrendered their name, colours, reputation and even their home ground.)

They are imitating Galway United's jersey. How pathetic.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/597752/

Whats pathetic is the ridiculous expectation that a city the size of Galway can mantain 2 (let alone 3 last season) teams in the Airtricity league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sad to see the shocking disrespect shown to the honourable colours of light blue and white given they are a Galway side

Football is truly in the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

What's the story? Aren't Mervue a city side too? Why did Devon team up with Galway? And where are they playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Samich wrote: »
    What's the story? Aren't Mervue a city side too? Why did Devon team up with Galway? And where are they playing?

They did not team up with GUST they are playing in terryland. Dont be fooled into believing that this is a Galway United team. This is SALTHILL DEVON.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

i think to use laughing stock in the thread title is a bit harsh.whats laughable about a club who give around 400 kids each year an opportunity to play football and give them top class facilties to do it in.a lot of people give their free time up to give these kids an outlet .the fai were the driving force behind this,they wanted a team with galway in the name,playing in a maroon jersey and to play in terryland.
    I doubt SDFC wanted to do this to get one over on anyone,I also doubt they see themselves as replacing gufc.If you want to support them do,if not thats up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

OP - Did you ever support them?

Its an FAI Inititive to play in Terryland and in Maroon as their home kit.
    Best of Luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

howyanow wrote: »
    the fai were the driving force behind this,they wanted a team with galway in the name,playing in a maroon jersey and to play in terryland.
    I doubt SDFC wanted to do this to get one over on anyone,I also doubt they see themselves as replacing gufc.If you want to support them do,if not thats up to you.
    sgthighway wrote: »

Its an FAI Inititive to play in Terryland and in Maroon as their home kit.

There was another team that play in maroon and were willing to play in Terryland. All the FAI had to do was accept their application. It will be a long road back for GUSTFC now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

sgthighway wrote: »

Did I ever support them? Yes and No.

Did I ever attend any of their (home) games? Yes - two. One against Galway United and one against Athlone Town. I bought a €50 season ticket from Kieran O'Mahoney two years ago and I have placed an ad in the programme for the Fives. I was also at two Mervue games - V Salthill at Terryland and another V Shels at Fahey's Field.

Will I support SD in the future? Not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

paddyfield,i think you should direct your frustration at either the fai or those who made a mess of galway united rather than sdfc,i can see how the jersey can be irritating but i think its all down to gufc being unable to function in a correct manner and the fai being unwilling to give gust a reasonable chance to get their house in order.no club should be allowed rack up debts of nearly 1million and then reform as if nothing happend.in my opinion, gufc not having any underage structures in place was very short sighted of them.i think don o'riordan introduced youth structures years ago but when he left it wasnt continued.why would the fai not look more favourably on sdfc or mervue when both clubs show they have a tradition of bringing they're own players through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They beat CCFC yesterday in Turners Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

gimmick wrote: »
    They beat CCFC yesterday in Turners Cross.

Twas only a friendly but Salthill looked a decent enough outfit y'day, far better then they were last season at TC.

Still odd though the way they've went about taking Galway Utd's colours & ground with the FAI's support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Lapin wrote: »
    Whats pathetic is the ridiculous expectation that a city the size of Galway can mantain 2 (let alone 3 last season) teams in the Airtricity league.

This is spot on. How on earth can Galway support three teams, with three grounds, three sets of staff, three sets of coaches - all on the attendances they currently attract.

It's just not financially feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Whatever about playing in Terryland, changing from the traditional Salthill Devon colours to those of Galway Utd is an absolute joke.

If it was the FAI's decision then it shows that they want Galway Utd to be dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Lapin wrote: »
    They can't maintain one at the moment. The people of Galway, in general, couldn't give a fuck about League of Ireland football.

You'll still see plenty of United/Liverpool/Celtic jersies around though. The myth that its not working cause its their fourth sport is just that, a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's the craic with the Galway/Gust anyway? Are they actually still in existence? Are they playing in an amateur league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If Salthill Devon are considered a laughing stock, I don't know what you consider Galway United and those other clubs who pissed themselves into oblivion only to ask for a licence under a different guise.

Salthill Devon are a solid club with excellent facilities who are still finding their feet at senior level. As such it makes perfect sense to set up in Terryland, as the previous tenants were a laughing stock who ran themselves out of existence. Since Galway United ran themselves out of existence it is great news that a county as big as Galway has a club to represent them.

Galway United should be back of the queue of clubs looking to join the First Division next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Agree, CSF. I have no idea why Salthill Devon would be considered a laughing stock. They are just trying to progress! It's not like they're p!ssing away a history!

I know Galway Utd have only themselves to blame, but i still hate seeing what's happened to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

monkey9 wrote: »
    Agree, CSF. I have no idea why Salthill Devon would be considered a laughing stock. They are just trying to progress! It's not like they're p!ssing away a history!
    Could they not have progressed and kept their own club colours?

Fair enough that they're playing in Terryland as opposed to Drom.
    I don't know how they got a licence last season with no seats at their ground, so the move makes actual sense, however changing club colours doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Galway had a Kerryman playing with last season,Sean Kelly,has he made the move to Salthill Devon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

There was another team that play in maroon and were willing to play in Terryland. All the FAI had to do was accept their application. It will be a long road back for GUSTFC now.

You're very sore aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway had a Kerryman playing with last season,Sean Kelly,has he made the move to Salthill Devon?

No.

I think he might have been training with Tralee Dynamos.

blue-army wrote: »
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Could they not have progressed and kept their own club colours?

Fair enough that they're playing in Terryland as opposed to Drom.
    I don't know how they got a licence last season with no seats at their ground, so the move makes actual sense, however changing club colours doesn't.
    Maybe they could have, but I'm sure they understand their situation better than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Galway Rovers rebranded themselves as Galway United and Galway United fans walked away from their club (and its debts) to try and set up another club.

Lot of hypocritical blame being handed out in this thread.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Galway Rovers rebranded themselves as Galway United and Galway United fans walked away from their club (and its debts) to try and set up another club.

Galway United fans are still paying GUFC debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Whats this "walked away" crap. GUST ran Galway Utd themselves last year and bankrolled it. If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

Who is involved in this SD project anyway?

CiaranC wrote: »

Whats this "walked away" crap. GUST ran Galway Utd themselves last year and bankrolled it. If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

The board of Galway were the figureheads of Galway United. I don't understand why we suddenly disassociate the board as being part of the club when they are ****. What Zebra said is pretty much the facts, without bringing emotion into it.

Besides, almost every club has fans that care. It's not the greatest of arguments to use. Galway United ran themselves into oblivion, their fans failed to save them, and thus Salthill Devon have every right to be the club that represents Galway.

If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

The fact is that the fans of Galway United walked away from their club with the hope of setting up a new debt free club in the same way that the fans of the old Derry City did.

It didn't work out the way they expected and now we have to listen to them bitch about it.

CSF wrote: »
    Besides, almost every club has fans that care. It's not the greatest of arguments to use. Galway United ran themselves into oblivion, their fans failed to save them, and thus Salthill Devon have every right to be the club that represents Galway.

You werent quite so gung-ho when the FAI set Fingal up as your replacements. Of course it was different with Shels. Its always different with Shels.

• Advertisement

You werent quite so gung-ho when the FAI set Fingal up as your replacements. Of course it was different with Shels. Its always different with Shels.

Salthill were never brought in as Galway United's replacement. They won promotion on merit from the A Championship. It's not Salthill's fault that Galway United destroyed themselves.

The FAI refused to accept GUST's late licence application and Terryland was available to Salthill to use as it was previously for Mervue.

As a result of all this there is now some hatred towards Salthill. :confused:

Salthill were never brought in as Galway United's replacement. They won promotion on merit from the A Championship. It's not Salthill's fault that Galway United destroyed themselves.

The FAI refused to accept GUST's late licence application and Terryland was available to Salthill to use as it was previously for Mervue.

Why are they wearing Galways colours? Do you know who is behind the scenes at Salthill now?

As said, Salthill Devon have been a club of their own for a long time.

Although, I don't think you'll find much reference from me in regards to the FAI wanting Fingal as our replacements. I never really gave much thought to that.

The "independent" Chairman of the League of Ireland, amongst others.

The FAI never actually refused GUST's licence application. There is no reason it would have failed really. The problem was getting invited to enter the application process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

They're basically wearing Galway United jerseys. Why isn't the whole club, from underage up, being rebranded as such? What's so different about the senior LOI team that they need to change their name and colours?

It doesn't matter anyway. They don't represent Galway, they never will. It'll be a failed experiment, lack of crowds will kill them to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh Jesus - The Paragons of Virtue are involved in this now.

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh Jesus - The Paragons of Virtue are involved in this now.
    Oh Jesus - the Galway United prototype are involved in this now.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    They're basically wearing Galway United jerseys. Why isn't the whole club, from underage up, being rebranded as such? What's so different about the senior LOI team that they need to change their name and colours?

Does it actually matter what their schoolboy teams are called? :confused:
    It doesn't matter anyway. They don't represent Galway, they never will. It'll be a failed experiment, lack of crowds will kill them to be honest.

If it fails, so be it. At least they are trying. ~Though they survive playing in Drom in front of tiny crowds, so depending on their rent for playing in Terryland, they may well survive.

Either way the shambles that became Galway United is not the fault of Salthill. Where were the protests last year to get Lesson and his buddies out of your club? :confused:

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Does it actually matter what their schoolboy teams are called? :confused:

If it fails, so be it. At least they are trying. ~Though they survive playing in Drom in front of tiny crowds, so depending on their rent for playing in Terryland, they may well survive.

Either way the shambles that became Galway United is not the fault of Salthill. Where were the protests last year to get Lesson and his buddies out of your club? :confused:
    Leeson wouldn't give a **** about chants against him or a few lads holding a "Leeson out" banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think it's pretty creepy the was they are changing their colours.

It's pretty much a franchise now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This zeal does go too far though, in fairness CSF. We're talking about a well-liked club effectively dying. The effect that supporters can have is limited when they don't run the club.

If your board ever fuck up your club and a similar fate befalls you, youse are going to find sympathy in very short supply.

And it can happen to any club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm not laughing.... I'm not the only one am I?

stovelid wrote: »

This zeal does go too far though, in fairness CSF. We're talking about a well-liked club effectively dying. The effect that supporters can have is limited when they don't run the club.

If your board ever fuck up your club and a similar fate befalls you, youse are going to find sympathy in very short supply.

And it can happen to any club.
    I haven't attacked Galway fans or tried to rub salt in the wounds.

I just don't think its right to be having a go at Salthill for assuming the mantle of THE Galway football club (not Galway United) when its only the case because their club ran themselves out of business leaving no club for Galway.

As for Shels, if we cease to exist in our current form, I would expect no sympathy. I'd have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To be fair, I don't really see why there has to be a "the" Galway team, or why even having the name Galway tacked on to the end of their own is important.

To be fair, I don't really see why there has to be a "the" Galway team, or why even having the name Galway tacked on to the end of their own is important.
    Again, I'm sure they have a better understanding than us.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/1307/2012-9/Mervue-and-SD-back-in-league-action
    Playing in Terryland Park, in a moron jersey
    I wonder was that a deliberate misprint!

Leeson wouldn't give a **** about chants against him or a few lads holding a "Leeson out" banner.

If GUST were basically running Galway United last season, they should have threathened to withdraw their support for the club unless he stepped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

agreed. They should have done something before the club was run under the ground.

I can understand the GUST's frustration though, and it puzzles me as to why Salthill would abandon their colours and adopt ones so similar to their de-facto city rivals.

EDIT: do any of the Dublin teams play in their county colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

agreed. They should have done something before the club was run under the ground.

I can understand the GUST's frustration though, and it puzzles me as to why Salthill would abandon their colours and adopt ones so similar to their de-facto city rivals.

EDIT: do any of the Dublin teams play in their county colours?

UCD wear light blue.

CHF wore light blue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Shels Bohs and Pats have all had sky blue and navy away shirts at one stage over the last few years although the Pats one was predominately navy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement