Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Women - fighting back!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

My, my, another Muslim bashing thread. I thought the "Draw Mohammad day" one fulfilled AHs quota for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    My, my, another Muslim bashing thread. I thought the "Draw Mohammad day" one fulfilled AHs quota for the week.

I wouldn't mind, but according to most posters, the Muslims are already doing enough Muslim bashing of their own without us throwing our tuppence into the mix. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

also wear the Burka to disguise the fact that they have moustaches, hairy armpits & uni-brows..

This is a fact, I've seen it in a 'carry on' movie .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

we've enough problems of our own here with the RC church love so forget about trying to change other nations beliefs and ways of living just because its different and difficult for westerners to comprehend.

This old chestnut again.....

"Hey did you hear there is a country where they hold little kids down and stab the with hot pokers? Messed up, right?"

"Don't be so ignorant, that's just their culture, who are you to say they are wrong. Just because you don't understand why they do it doesn't mean they should change."

Some things are just wrong, and calling them tradition or culture doesn't make them any less fukked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

bluto63 wrote: »
    What angle? 45 degrees? 60 degrees? Better not have been plain old 90 degrees
    Must have been acute.

ANYWAY, on topic, I'm not sure that the violent approach is going to work in these countries. It rarely does. A quasi-state body that's used to getting it's own way and that is held in check by essentially nobody isn't going to be cowed by a couple of women giving a digging.

If anything, it's going to lead to a further crackdown.

I'm not saying that they should do nothing, but there's more than one option than women carrying guns around to shoot at the police to let their lovers escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Biggins wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm glad to see it. There are more and more reports of Saudi women standing up for themselves and in some cases fighting back again the nutty religious police in Saudi Arabia.

For example two cases lately:

Woman opens fire on religious police officers

Saudi Woman Punches Religious Policeman Who Stops Her for Questioning

More power to them! Rock on ladies!

In any case of bullying I think it's great when victims feel strong enough to stand up for themselves. However, in both the above links, I think it would've spoken volumes if the involved men had actually been men and had stood by their womenfolk. I've no time for cowards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Splendour wrote: »
    In any case of bullying I think it's great when victims feel strong enough to stand up for themselves. However, in both the above links, I think it would've spoken volumes if the involved men had actually been men and had stood by their womenfolk. I've no time for cowards...

It's even more cowardly when you consider the fact that the women will probably receive the harsher punishment. If they really cared they would have let the women escape instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

It's even more cowardly when you consider the fact that the women will probably receive the harsher punishment. If they really cared they would have let the women escape instead.

Indeed...although afaik, according to Islamic law, there should be equal punishment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Saudi...lived there for a year. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Those women are more oppressed than anyone in any country has ever been, imo. I think they should take to arms and go to war, tbh. Bloodbaths! Fuck them all up, bitches!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

WindSock wrote: »
    Those women are more oppressed than anyone in any country has ever been, imo. I think they should take to arms and go to war, tbh. Bloodbaths! Fuck them all up, bitches!!

THIS...IS.....SAUDI!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

WindSock wrote: »

They need their own robin hood. Robin Burka maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

ddef wrote: »
    THIS...IS.....SAUDI!!!!!

So you're sayin Saudi is full of gun totin' b!tches.....? :D oh joy!

I thought it was just um...........deserts n'stuff....well who knows what goes on er, over there beyond the iron cushions curtain em....er....sea or border or something....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Nah they don't. Within every Burqha lies a true ninja.

They need their own robin hood. Robin Burka maybe...

Did you hear about the Saudi woman who had an arranged marraige?

Her name was Maid Marryman.

:D

Did you hear about the Saudi woman who had an arranged marraige?

Her name was Maid Marryman.

:D

I heard she was married by Friar Turk....

I heard she was married by Friar Turk....

Who was then arrested by the Sherrif of Noteatham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Darlughda wrote: »
    There would be horror on the streets of Britain if the full burka was shed and the evidence of the physical domestic violence these women endure were exposed.
    Do you have the slightest comprehension of what is going on for many fundamentalist islam women in Britain?

Google it. Oh just to help you, try googling honour killings as well.

My sister works in Manchester in the burns unit of one of the major hospitals. You would not believe the torture that is going on. And these are the unreported stories.

Ok, seeing as you know much on this topic, would you care to tell us
    a) How many women who wear burqu's you actually know?
    b) How many of these women are beaten up by their husbands?

Actually, do you even know any actual Muslims in the real world?

Ok, seeing as you know much on this topic, would you care to tell us
    a) How many women who wear burqu's you actually know?
    b) How many of these women are beaten up by their husbands?

Actually, do you even know any actual Muslims in the real world?

It dosen't matter, she is a 40 year old divorcee that eats 25 year old lads alive. She knows EVERYTHING.

It dosen't matter, she is a 40 year old divorcee that eats 25 year old lads alive. She knows EVERYTHING.

After the over 30s deperate woman thread, there's no going back for some people!

• Advertisement

After the over 30s deperate woman thread, there's no going back for some people!

Ah I think sex and the city might have brainwashed our overeager 40 year old horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

So far I have been accused of Islamaphobia, sensationalism and 'hate filled sensationalism' (yes, Brian I assumed a Mod of History would know the difference, my assumption was obviously wrong.)

There is huge issues of domestic abuse, forced marriages, rape, murder and abduction faced by many women of extremist Islamic communities.

A muslim man gives this insight:

http://muslim-chronicle.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-should-state-tolerate-burkha-asks.html

Statistics can be hard to pin down for these reasons:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/a-question-of-honour-police-say-17000-women-are-victims-every-year-780522.html

http://thewomenofislam.blogspot.com/2008/02/muslim-birth-defects.html

Those working to stop the violence say part of the problem is that women, often recent immigrants, face intense family and religious pressure to keep quiet.
    Many Muslim immigrant women do not even know that they are victims of a crime. That's because in their home country it may be legal or acceptable for men to physically punish or even kill their wives and daughters for dishonoring the family

However efforts are mounting with muslim communities to fight against this
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4828349.ece

No, I won’t shut up about domestic violence and how women are treated in extremist Islam
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/24282941/A-Publication-of-the-David-Horowitz-Freedom-Center#fullscreen:on

And Irish Convert, yes I have worked with Muslim immigrant in Ireland, she was in a domestic abuse refuge, terrified for her life, I was just helping her to fill forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Gunsfortoys

Can you quit your feverish obsessive stalking of me now, please? I really rattled you on that other thread. Get over it.
    By the way I'm nowhere near 40, have no cats and despise sex + the city. Your stereotypes are quite dull.:pac:

I read this as 'Stupid Women - fighting back!'. I have to say, my opinion of this thread has brightened since realising my mistake.

Hearing reports of treatment of Muslim women in some countries is revolting. They get treated as pets nearly. Prized pets.

So far I have been accused of Islamaphobia, sensationalism and 'hate filled sensationalism' (yes, Brian I assumed a Mod of History would know the difference, my assumption was obviously wrong.)

There is huge issues of domestic abuse, forced marriages, rape, murder and abduction faced by many women of extremist Islamic communities.

There are issues of domestic abuse, forced marriages, rape, murder and abduction faced by many women of many religions in many countries.

However, to generalise about Muslim women in the UK, such as you did, leaves your motives open to questioning. Earlier you said that ;
    There would be horror on the streets of Britain if the full burka was shed and the evidence of the physical domestic violence these women endure were exposed.

And you seem to based that on;

- some hearsay from a hospital worker,
    - an article from The Independant that alludes to 'official figures' without stating what they actually are, but mentions a figure of 'up to 17,000' which is just vague & lazy sensationalist journalism
    - a blogspot which is an unconfirmed & possibly unreliable source
    - a publication which is also unconfirmed, possibly unreliable & has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of Muslim women in the UK
    - a Times article about Muslim clerics

None of which goes any way towards backing up your claim that ;

I have no doubt that you are not an Islamaphobe, but I also believe that if we are to debate issues with any real conviction, truth or honesty, then there is no point in trying to make generalisations based on half truths, hearsay or intuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Anyone wishing to discuss this seriously can do so here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement