Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Louise Duffy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Synode wrote: »
    And Foley isn't gone from the airwaves. He does a very good breakfast show on 98fm

I said gone from the airwaves here. I don't get 98FM and long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Indeed, long may his show continue

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

What i dont get is having had Foley in there , followed by KC and co and now Louise Duffy on her own .. you have three very different shows for the same time slot in recent years.. how do Today fm expect to hold, never mind grow an audience with such contrasting styles? Theres no consistancy .. Its actually a tad arrogant for Today fm to expect the listeners to accept whoever it is they throw on at that time. Duffy is the complete opposite to foley in terms of format, entertainment value and experience. For me she still does not have enough basic on air experience to make her couple of hours on air engaging. She comes across as nice but perhaps she's a bit excitable coz her voice comes across slightly too high pitched and for the love of god Louise please pronounce the 'ING' and the end of words .. and its pronounced Today 'FM' not Today 'EFAAM' .. she says it every time !! Rant Over :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

reg114 wrote: »
    What i dont get is having had Foley in there , followed by KC and co and now Louise Duffy on her own .. you have three very different shows for the same time slot in recent years.. how do Today fm expect to hold, never mind grow an audience with such contrasting styles? Theres no consistancy .. Its actually a tad arrogant for Today fm to expect the listeners to accept whoever it is they throw on at that time. Duffy is the complete opposite to foley in terms of format, entertainment value and experience. For me she still does not have enough basic on air experience to make her couple of hours on air engaging. She comes across as nice but perhaps she's a bit excitable coz her voice comes across slightly too high pitched and for the love of god Louise please pronounce the 'ING' and the end of words .. and its pronounced Today 'FM' not Today 'EFAAM' .. she says it every time !! Rant Over :)

I think the timeline was that Ray Foley got a better offer from 98fm but KC had already started getting popular so was moved. KC was doing a great job for a while but I think personal commitments got in the way of work - I believe his family were still living in Cork? He's on Red FM in Cork now, I think.

I would imagine that Louise Duffy is bridging a gap for that time slot. I'm not aware of any other presenter line-ups that Today FM have that could replace the likes of Ray or KC.

I think it's a little harsh slagging her accent as well, tbh! :) I know it's personal preference but I think it's a nice accent. Given the part of Mayo she's from, believe me, it could be worse! It's better than hearing the RTÉ/faux South County Dublin accent we get elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I don't mind that Louise is different to Ray or KC.

Tbh KC's show became better when they stopped doing stuff similar to Ray Foley. Ray is Ray, impossible to replace for Today FM imo and it was generally considered KC was the only man capable for that slot... and he was. I thoroughly enjoyed his show. Wasn't as laugh-out-loud as Foley's was, but had a different charm for sure.

Louise needs to forge her own path like KC did, (I thought it took a good few weeks for KC to sound as relaxed at lunchtime as he did at night-time), but here's my two cents; she needs more features and guests to break up the monotony of song/talk/ad/song/talk/ad. Whether that's a 'Showbiz Swipe' style chat with Paula McSweeney or Ann & Lenny, a movie slot, bring the boyfriend in for a chat about fashion... whatever.

Hope it works out for her though, a really good show in the making and she's far too nice to root against her! :pac::pac:

Colm O'Sullivan was the obvious choice to take over after KC. Don't know why they didn't shift him to 12 - 2:30 instead of Louise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Indeed, long may his show continue

Trololo :pac:
    Colm O'Sullivan was the obvious choice to take over after KC. Don't know why they didn't shift him to 12 - 2:30 instead of Louise

I totally disagree with this tbh. I think Colm is way more suited to nights doing a much more music focused show, interviewing bands, playing new music.

IMO, a lunchtime should should be upbeat and fun, to get people over the hump of the day in work. I think Louise is a very good fit for the slot, very bubbly and cheerful, but the show really needs more segments. Like, the whole first hour seems to be dedicated to Ticket or Flickit. That game should be 2 links, max. One where she gives the thing to text in about and one where she reads out a few texts and has a caller on. There's very little substance to the show in general. Even if she just had people on for random chats (like the Mario interview last week) a bit more often it would improve the show immensely. At the moment, as another poster said, it just feels like monotonous talk-song-talk-ad-song-talk-song-ad-news.

I think the timeline was that Ray Foley got a better offer from 98fm but KC had already started getting popular so was moved. KC was doing a great job for a while but I think personal commitments got in the way of work - I believe his family were still living in Cork? He's on Red FM in Cork now, I think.

I would imagine that Louise Duffy is bridging a gap for that time slot. I'm not aware of any other presenter line-ups that Today FM have that could replace the likes of Ray or KC.

I think it's a little harsh slagging her accent as well, tbh! :) I know it's personal preference but I think it's a nice accent. Given the part of Mayo she's from, believe me, it could be worse! It's better than hearing the RTÉ/faux South County Dublin accent we get elsewhere.

oh I'm not slagging her accent I'm critical of her diction, there is a difference, but it's only a minor quibble. Love to know what exactly Lenny and Ann are doing in the background if as it seems the show is mainly music driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The thing is with KC & Foley if you missed there show you were annoyed as you missed a segment,feature,competition,interview or something else cool! It was like missing an episode of your favorite tv show. Everyone would be talking/ tweeting/ facebooking about it and you'd make it your buisness too listen back. I think Louise new show you could miss an entire week no sweat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought Lenny was the producer of the show. But louise posted this on twitter
    https://twitter.com/louiseduffyshow/status/464114661169070081

What was the tweet? Appears to have been removed

What was the tweet? Appears to have been removed

Was a pic of Louise, Ann and another girl in a pub, with something along the lines of 'I love my producer Ann' I think.

Was a pic of Louise, Ann and another girl in a pub, with something along the lines of 'I love my producer Ann' I think.

Basically that. I probably shouldn't have assumed but Lenny was the producer of the KC show but that's great stuff for ann to be a producer of a show. I remember when ray used to ring her in the office in the old todayfm building and ask her something.

Has Ann not been a producer on that time slot's show going back to Foley's time. Or even before, with Tony

Has Ann not been a producer on that time slot's show going back to Foley's time. Or even before, with Tony

Adelle was the producer on Foley's show IIRC, and JP whenever Adelle was off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Louise Duffy really does my head in, the high pitched voice, over excitable, the silly giggle after every second sentence, terrible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard a bit yesterday did she refer to Biffy Clyro's next album as 'his next album' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

What was the name of the last song played? Just before 2pm news?

Louise will post her playlist on the website after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Tuned in today for 5 mins and she got tongue tied again,cant see her lasting.

ofcork wrote: »
    Tuned in today for 5 mins and she got tongue tied again,cant see her lasting.

She'll last "after awhile"

Ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Have to say, I'm really enjoying her show so far. I used to switch straight over to Phantom after Ray D'Arcy, due to Foley being embarrassingly unfunny and KC just a bit boring. Louise's show might not have a huge amount of depth, but she has a good mix of music, is nice and cheerful and I don't find her annoying at all, which is a pretty good quality for a DJ to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I'm really enjoying the show. There's very little inserts, games and skits. I don't get this obsession with radio DJs trying to be comedians. If they were funny they would be doing stand-up. KC and lenny were harmless enough but they were painfully unfunny and Lenny, especially, was over rehearsed delivering his lines and pretty much cringe worthy. Louise seems to be getting more confident, small bit of chat between songs but most importantly, she plays great music!

Robin S -Show me love at 12:24 on a Monday is epic! Pity about the poor links and lack of content too the show tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

She has the best Irish radio show I have heard in a long time. I only get to listen in once in a while, but her choice of music is great & very refreshing.

FitzShane wrote: »
    She has the best Irish radio show I have heard in a long time. I only get to listen in once in a while, but her choice of music is great & very refreshing.

The 'best radio show you've heard in a long time', I wouldn't even say Louise herself would make such an bold statement. Yes the music is broad ranging and very eclectic but I think that is the main draw of her show, it counterbalances the lack of the fact that the show is not personality driven, like KC and Ray Foley were previously. It's clever because it's essentially the music that is the draw.

The 'best radio show you've heard in a long time', I wouldn't even say Louise herself would make such an bold statement. Yes the music is broad ranging and very eclectic but I think that is the main draw of her show, it counterbalances the lack of the fact that the show is not personality driven, like KC and Ray Foley were previously. It's clever because it's essentially the music that is the draw.

True, maybe I should have worded it better - my favourite radio show!

TBF though, I look for music first in a radio show & she has that.

The Famous Five is tough today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

the show is not personality driven, like KC and Ray Foley were previously. It's clever because it's essentially the music that is the draw.

Loved Foley, eventually. I gave KC a chance, but he just wasn't up to scratch and Lenny just made it all unbearable. I try and tune in to Louise when I remember, but KC broke the habit of me listening at that hour so I tend to forget. She has some great tunes, and I am sure it will only improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Shammer16

Ann Gleeson - ON AIR! Brilliant!

Shammer16 wrote: »

Heard it aswell. Love it.

Shammer16 wrote: »

THE ONE DAY I'M IN A MEETING DURING HER SHOW! :mad: :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    THE ONE DAY I'M IN A MEETING DURING HER SHOW! :mad: :pac:

It wasn't much tho

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It wasn't much tho

Some Gleeson better than no Gleeson. :P

Louise is still doing stuff 'after a while'... and 'in a little while', lol

Louise is still doing stuff 'after a while'... and 'in a little while', lol

The after awhile, ticket or flick it nonsence is getting annoying. It's just too "safe" have some personality woman. Surely Lenny and Ann aren't happy with the show on auto pilot?

Good famous 5 today, was a tricky one to be fair. 5 great songs too!

Thought this was funny:

• Advertisement

I've given Louise a while now on lunchtime and I just can't warm to her. Certainly she's bubbly and positive but her voice is just too high pitched for me and she seems constantly in a hurry. She needs to calm down while slowing down, perhaps then she would still come across as likeable but just not as shrill.

I've given Louise a while now on lunchtime and I just can't warm to her. Certainly she's bubbly and positive but her voice is just too high pitched for me and she seems constantly in a hurry. She needs to calm down while slowing down, perhaps then she would still come across as likeable but just not as shrill.

I agree with this. Also the lack of content is a joke. Bar making a playlist and the 5 linked songs theres nothing of note in the 2 and a half hours! This ticket or flick it thing has gone way too far aswell! It's just annoying now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I miss Ray Foley and boys at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

I think Louise Duffy is still developing her own style. It might not be to everyone's taste. Let's not be so critical of her.

I think Louise Duffy is still developing her own style. It might not be to everyone's taste. Let's not be so critical of her.

IMO she's had a lot of time to bed in now. She's been on for two and a half months at this stage and there's still a distinct lack of content to the show. There's nothing really to latch onto and it just sort of washes over me as background noise most of the time.

Don't get me wrong here, I really like Louise, but the show at the moment just doesn't have any substance.

A few more features, more Ann and Lenny, some more frequent interviews or bands on air and it could be a very good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

IMO she's had a lot of time to bed in now. She's been on for two and a half months at this stage and there's still a distinct lack of content to the show. There's nothing really to latch onto and it just sort of washes over me as background noise most of the time.

Don't get me wrong here, I really like Louise, but the show at the moment just doesn't have any substance.

A few more features, more Ann and Lenny, some more frequent interviews or bands on air and it could be a very good show.

I agree, all the ingredients are there but the show just hasn't come together yet.

It still has the air of a fill-in show, and it should a bit more identity by now. Hopefully they will try out new features (and Ann and Lenny on air more often) in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

agree with u on that, plus ticket or flick it is annoying. How come ann is not contributing feck all?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057229638/1/#post90838017

We could be onto a winner here lads

Ann gleeson made an appearance on the show today in a getting to know her bit. And I heard a new add for Louise's show which feature both Lenny and Ann.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ann gleeson made an appearance on the show today in a getting to know her bit. And I heard a new add for Louise's show which feature both Lenny and Ann.

Ann's been on air a few times recently. It's great when she's on, I think a show in this timeslot works best when there are people bouncing off each other as opposed to just one person.

Ann's been on air a few times recently. It's great when she's on, I think a show in this timeslot works best when there are people bouncing off each other as opposed to just one person.

Like Dermot & Dave?

• Advertisement
Advertisement