Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire for surround sound system

Options
  • 18-01-2016 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Will cat4 cable run my surround sound speakers,I have a bit of wire to run behind skirting boards to run my Panasonic surround sound system and I'm trying to hide the wires so want to make sure the cat 4 will power the speakers

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

theghost85 wrote: »
    Will cat4 cable run my surround sound speakers,I have a bit of wire to run behind skirting boards to run my Panasonic surround sound system and I'm trying to hide the wires so want to make sure the cat 4 will power the speakers

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks

Yes with a caveat.
    It will power your Panasonic HTS at a stretch, nothing bigger. The reason : cat 5 is 5 strands of copper so it's two strands for each terminal (positive/negative terminal) and one idol . Bottom line it's going to sound very, very weak but will work. Most regular Hifi speakers are recommended to use a minimum of 42 strand speaker cable to maintain a decent sound. ( See sticky)

Advertisement