Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE player stopped working on our Samsung Smart TV

• 13-01-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

Since the last Samsung Smart TV firmware update a week ago, RTE Player shows the ads but not the programme. Instead a message comes up "The service is having issues". This happens with all RTE programmes. Other apps like TV3 and Youtube work fine.

In the past we'd have the occasional RTE Player blip for a day or two, but never longer and never like this with the ads playing, or this message. I did a reset of the Smart Hub which then updated itself but no change. I Googled away, but no mention of this problem anywhere. So has anyone else had this - recently or in the past? And anyone found a solution?

I would suspect it was an RTE app not updated to the latest firmware - but in that case, you'd think others must have this problem too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How old or what model is your TV, i.e. is it using the new Tizen operating system or is it a model from last year or before? I was using it on mine fine last night, but mine doesn't use Tizen and I think they may be a different version of the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭mct1

Thanks for your reply. TV was bought new in October 2012 when Ireland went digital. Model is UE40ES5500. So yours works fine. Hmm. Usually I can find a solution to these glitches on the web but not this time. If no suggestions appear here, maybe Samsung might help me fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Upgraded to firmware 2006 on a UE40ES6900 and it is working. As usual half the content is missing compared with the online version though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭mct1

Dubrov, thank you! I thought the firmware always auto updated but obviously mine didn't. So I used Menu/Support/Software Update (which was greyed out initially) to upgrade to version 2006 and now my RTE Player works. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

i had the same issue but all sorted now, many thanks to you guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I'm having the same problem with the UE32K5500 and UE40K5500 models. RTÉ Player is on version 1.2.517 on both TVs, while their system software are both updated to 1142 and 1162, respectively. The programmes just won't play after the ads are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I have a Samsung UE46ES6300 TV. Its a 2012 model. The RTE player used to work but now everytime I try to open it, it just says there's a problem!. I tried resetting it but no joy. The TV3 player works alright. I was trying to get an app, IP TV to work but it wont either. Software is updated and I don' seem to have the option as outlined by other posters. Any ideas? Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 colmcure

Same problem as OP. Got onto Samsung about a week ago and still waiting for them to call me back. I tried everything but no player, just ads! My model is UE 43J5500AKXXU. Would love to get a fix of some description??

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I posted above with same problem. Software update solved the problem. I was updating the software but it wasn't actually installing. In the settings in 'other software' I found the downloaded software. I don't know why it was downloading but not installing as it kept telling me it was up to date. It was up to date but not installed.
    I found the samsung support very helpful once it kicks in. It's best to use their online support however and not on the phone. The call centre is in india somewhere and were clueless to the point of annoyance so I gave up on it. They seemed to want to sell me something. However, the online support seemed to have strong technical knowledge and answered all questions fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

25/2/2018: we’ve 2016 Samsung Smart TV. All updates loaded to date. As with OP it’s pkaying the ads on RTE Player but when it comes to playing the programmes it reverts to the ads and plays them again. Cannot get it to play the progs!

Has anyone found a solution to this. As I say, all our updates are ... up to date.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 WallyJumbla

I have had the same problem with 2 Samsung Smart TVs for the past 6 months. Samsung have just released new firmware, but it doesn't solve the problem. It seems that when the ads are playing some are skipped (judging by time remaining displayed), and the software is designed not to play the programme unless all of the ads are played first. I have pointed this out to RTE but they are not listening. They put the blame on Samsung.

Advertisement