Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constant hard disk activity

Options
  • 12-12-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am running windows vistaon my dell M1530 laptop. However, because of the aluminium casing, the hard drive activity noise is amplified and can be quite annoying when it is constantly accessed. I have turned off most features of windows vista that cause random accessing of the hard disk. However, my hard disk is still being accessed constantly and I can hear it clicking every second or two.
    I downloaded a program called "HDD light" and it is showing me that the hard disk is being written to by about 0.2 MB for every click. Now this to me sounds like vistas ****ty "indexing" feature. But I have turned that off. (at least i think i have - i went into indexing in control panel, and deselected all the drives for indexing)

Does anyone have any ideas on what more i can do to sort this problem?

cheers,

dan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You could try defragging the hard drive. This should make the disk read / writes less aggressive, therefore less noisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

i defragmented the hard drive just last week and have loaded/deleted very little to/from it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You could try using the readyboost feature of Vista, should help cut down on these little read/writes. I'd recommend a sd/shdc/mmc etc card if you have a slot on your laptop, alternatively a fast usb stick will work too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

I have an sd slot and have used readyboost before. Unfortunately, this does not help at all. There is an underlying problem going on here (if you can call it a problem), and im hoping someone can shed some light on what it is.

cheers for the replies anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Does it still have the same noise levels if you hold it in your hands?. Could just be the surface that your have it on either?.

There are rubber laptop pads you can get which might dampen the sound somewhat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement