Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another laptop recommendation thread - please help!

Options
  • 08-12-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Dell D600 has finally bitten the dust. Although still functional, the hinges are both broken and the battery is nackered. It's 5 years old at this stage too so I think I'm overdue a change anyway. Basically, what I'm looking for is as follows;

Budget: Around the €1500 mark

Intended use: Word, Internet, some gaming but not really important

Mobility: Something reasonably small would be preferable. Around the 13/14" mark similar to my current D600 would be perfect.

Warranty: Not essential.

The basic specs I want are a 3/4 gb RAM, 120/160 gb HD, bluetooth, WIFI etc. I don't really have a clue on things like processors and graphics cards etc. I've identified another Dell Latitude or possibly an XPS. Any input guys? The thought also crossed my mind to go nuts and buy a Macbook. I know this is a much debated topic so might do some of my own research online.

Any advice would be much appreciated guys.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

i recently had a budget similar to that and i opted for the dell xps 1530 with the SSD hard drive and i went for the highest res screen. I must say i think it was an excellent purchase. I do work with Visual studio, photoshop and things like that and its excellent.

A Mac book is an option for you with that budget. But you may not want a mac. But they are a decent laptop also.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Having looked at your specs I have to recommend a Samsung q310. Just recently got one myself and it is a great machine. I got it off dabs.ie and it was delivered within 3 working days.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=563S&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,50429,389120000

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dots104 wrote: »
    Having looked at your specs I have to recommend a Samsung q310. Just recently got one myself and it is a great machine. I got it off dabs.ie and it was delivered within 3 working days.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=563S&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,50429,389120000

+1 for that machine, have heard very good things about the samsungs, seems to tick most of your boxes OP, and is about half the price you've budgeted for, we are in a recession and all:rolleyes:;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you want to throw the D600 my way I would not complain :)

Can swap a litre of 95% alcohol for it too.

I've a D600 with dead motherboard I'm trying to resurect into a netbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dots104 wrote: »

The only negative thing there is that he mentioned some gaming if possible, that particular Samsung definitely not really cut out for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Take the XPS 1530 model for instance, tick all the boxes I think, currently they have €126 off the mared price and free delivery.

So all in you get the XPS1530 below for less than €1100 delivered.

And I also selected a XPS1330 for all in price of €1153

So you would even have enough over to get a decent external monitor.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
    INSPIRON XPS M1530 (System Identifier. ZRRE92WJ)
    XPS M1530 CORE 2 DUO T9300 2.50GHz
    Windows Vista SP1 Business
    System Price EUR 1,030.32

Operating System: Windows Vista SP1 Business
    English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Business
    Memory: Memory Dual Channel 4.0GB (2x2048) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Disk Drive: 320GB HD SATA (5400rpm)
    Video: ASSY, BASE 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT
    NoteBook Screen: 15.4 Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display
    Modem: Modem not included
    CD Read-Write Drive: DVD+/-RW (8X)
    System Color: CCFL backcover black & 2.0mp camera
    MISC: Battery 9Cell
    Image Restore - Vista
    MS Vista Premium Logo Label NB (small
    Internal Keyboard Uk/Irish (QWERTY)
    Vista OnLine Getting Started Guide (WW
    Intel 4965WLAN Mini-Card EUR

Put in cart and apply discount, make sure you check the discount box.

Price incl. VAT excl. del: EUR 1,097.96
    Price excl. VAT & del: EUR 903.67
    System 1 Price

INSPIRON XPS M1530 (System Identifier. ZRRE92WJ) EUR 1,030.32
    XPS M1530 CORE 2 DUO T9300 2.50GHz
    Windows Vista SP1 Business
    System Details
    System 1 Sub-total: EUR 1,030.32
    Accessories Sub-total: -EUR 126.65
    System 1 Total Price: EUR 903.67

XPS 1330, when you get it to checkout
    Price incl. VAT excl. del: EUR 1,153.69
    Price excl. VAT & del: EUR 949.54
    System 1 Price

INSPIRON XPS M1330 (System Identifier. 09EA0HHD) EUR 1,076.19
    XPS M1330 CORE 2 DUO T9300 2.50GHz, 800
    English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Business
    System Details
    System 1 Sub-total: EUR 1,076.19
    Accessories Sub-total: -EUR 126.65
    System 1 Total Price: EUR 949.54

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Sorry should have posted this with last message

www.dell.ie/outlet

Select Express Checkout at Dell Outlet to start shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

I recently got the white mac and upgraded to 4GB.

Find it a great buy.Runs very quiet and haven't had any compatability problems yet as you can get a lot of software for free.

You can get 10% off with the student special but don't know if they are still running i, but I found the rebate on the i pod tasty as I got one with it too.

Runs very quick and quiet, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Same situation, hinges and everything.

I'm looking at the new latitudes precisely because these machines lasted so long. They have some nice features like a backlit keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Guys thanks a million for the input. That Samsung has complicated matters as it seems to include pretty much all the feature I'm looking for at a very attractive price. That said, I'm hankering for the XPS 1330 - there's also an offer on it tomorrow via that Dell 12 days of Xmas malarch.

Appreciate the help and advice guys.

Capt'n Midnight --> I think my dad already has designs on the D600, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

besty wrote:
    Capt'n Midnight --> I think my dad already has designs on the D600, sorry!
    ah well it was worth a try , if you remove the hard drive and CD run off a usb key it's fairly light

If Dell don't have parts and you can't find on ebay you can try reinforce hinges with stuff like this http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/loctite/repairxpress.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I've decided to go for the XPS M1330 with 4gb RAM, 500gb memory, screen upgrade and 2.40 processor in crimson red. Having some trouble getting the order moving with Dell but hopefully I can get it before Christmas.

Thanks again for the input.

Incidentally, would anybody have any suggestions as to whether Vista Ultimate is worth upgrading to?

depends, on whether you need the extra features , most have free replacements

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Aero is a resource hog

BitLocker - truecrypt can do entire drives too, both make data recovery impossible

ultimate has better backup and restor, but that's because they dropped it from Home , it's not an added feature, even DOS and windows 3.11 had full backup software

RDP - vnc / loads of remote desktop sw.

fax and scan - you would probably get similar sw with a scanner, you will most likely get it with a multifunction device

and ultimate is missing lots of features that are in business / enterprise so ti's not "ultimate" by any stretch of the imagination like , ability to downgrade to XP and for enterprise licenses for 4 virtual machines / rights to use other languages

Advertisement