Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT's Latest Advertising : EIRCOM RippOff

Options
  • 30-01-2004 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

Nice touch these large boards on bus stops and in print media, attacking Eircom Line Rental Increases.

But EsatBT Failed to mention in their adverts that customers are still going to be "Ripped OFF" by eircom line rental even if they switch to EsatBT.

Anyone one have a scanned image of the advert to include here?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I had let the old dog out so she could dewater and saw the top of the Esat ad at a bus stop shelter and the Eircom ripoff, and had to walk over and climb a bank to see what it was. I had the same reaction: even if you switch to another provider, you still have to pay the scam artists the increased fee for having the line. Still, it felt good to see Eircom and ripoff on a public poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

What do you reckon - will oreillycom complain to the Advertising Standards Authority because the add implies that you won't be ripped off for line rental if you switch to ESAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It doesn't imply that at all. The ad is quite clear. Eircom rip you off on line rental but you can save some money on calls by switching to Esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Ripwave
    What do you reckon - will oreillycom complain to the Advertising Standards Authority because the add implies that you won't be ripped off for line rental if you switch to ESAT?
    The big juicy "?" at the end puts paid to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Just in case anyone missed basking in the glory of 'the poster'

http://www.rymus.net/Image(067).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I bet Una/Aggie/Small Accountant would love to post a reply to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

sadly you are still gonna be ripped off, but do really want to give them ANYMORE money. And i Loves the '?' at the end, classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

that ad does a few things...

- Turns people against eircom, gives them an image of being a "rip-off"
    - May put pressure on comreg to hurry up with the WLR
    - Gives the satisfaction of knowing that "eircom" and "Rip off" are written in huge letters next to each other :D

i like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eth0_
    It doesn't imply that at all. The ad is quite clear. Eircom rip you off on line rental but you can save some money on calls by switching to Esat.
    Read it again, Eth. It states that Line Rental has increased 24% in 12 months, and then says "Switch to EsatBT - it's easy". The clear implication is that you can switch to EsatBT for Line Rental.

The ad also says that you can save on calls, but the implication is clear that this is in addition to the implication of the large print at the top of the advertisment.

I think it's great that Esat have the balls to put in print what we've all been saying. But I think that if oreillycom decided to go to the ASAI about it, they might win. (I doubt oreillycom will go to the ASAI, because if they did win, it'd just give the papers a chance to drag the issue up with reports that included the Eircom Rip Off headline).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I agree that the implication is that you save the line rental. When I first saw it I thought "eh? but you still have to pay the line rental if you switch!" and wondered if I'd missed the point!! Still, amusing none the less.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Wonder what it would cost me to get a big sign on every bus-stop that says

Taxpayers, ripped off by EsatBT for €10 million?
    It's easy. Ask for your money back!

All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Well, I think it's bloody great :)
    Made my day, year, era, life, etc.

P. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Complaint sent to the ASAI. Complaint about the fact that it is implied that you can get line rental from Esat BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gs39t

Oh, right, -

"Esat - where the term No Limits means there are actually limits but we'll just kick you off for going over our non existant limits"

Eircom, Esat - they can both rot as far as im concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by Mr Burns
    Complaint sent to the ASAI. Complaint about the fact that it is implied that you can get line rental from Esat BT.
    I don't really understand why you complained? Surely you read the above and fully understand the ad? Don't you support any company trying to promote competition. Ok complain to the ASAI - but out of interest did you complain to comreg when Eircom announced the line rental increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Don't you support any company trying to promote competition

Esat are not out to support competition, rather they want a duopoly in the market. They really want the consumer to just have Eircom and if you don't like eircom, about 5% cheaper - EsatBT.

It is just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Esat are not out to support competition, rather they want a duopoly in the market.

No company wants competition against itself - they are in it for profit! However ESAT are competition to Eircom. I'm sure Ericom would rather it was a monopoly and not a duopoly. The next entrant to the market (if there ever was one) would prefer there not to be a 4th... It's not up to the current players to stimulate further competition.

Advertisement