Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paternity benefits?

• 29-04-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick one for you. Expecting my first child shortly. My wife is self employed and did not pay a voluntary prsi contribution. I am fully employed on the otherhand paying all contributions. I am aware that my wife will be entitled to nothing but is there anything I am entitled to at all?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

There is no paternity benefit. There are employment rights for fathers, i think 2 weeks leave, and also force majeur leave if your presence is required as result of illness of the child.

What do you mean she didn't pay voluntary prsi contribution. If you are self-employed, PRSI contributions are not voluntary, they are compulsary, but are paid at Class S.

If your wife was self-employed at 16 weeks prior to her due date, and has 52 stamps (including Class S) in any of the years 2008, 2009 or 2010 then she can get self-employed Maternity Benefit.

Once the child is born, and if you are working over 19 hours a week, and your family income is below 502 a week, then you could apply for Family Income Supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

there is no legislation to cover paternity leave. of course if you have a terma and conditions of employment/contract which allows for paternity leave then this will apply. this is confined mainly to public service employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Just spoke to the accountant and indeed she has been paying Class S stamps and as such is entitled to benefits. Great news. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    there is no legislation to cover paternity leave. of course if you have a terma and conditions of employment/contract which allows for paternity leave then this will apply. this is confined mainly to public service employees.

Sorry, i was thinking of the north, where there is 2 weeks paid paternity leave.

There is however 14 weeks parental leave in the 26 Counties which can be taken up until the child is 8, although this is unpaid. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

Swampy wrote: »
    Just spoke to the accountant and indeed she has been paying Class S stamps and as such is entitled to benefits. Great news. Thanks for the heads up.

its amazing how many self-employed people dont realise that they are in fact making a social insurance contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    its amazing how many self-employed people dont realise that they are in fact making a social insurance contribution.

This is true. We just hand over our accounts to the accountant and write the cheque when the balance is due. I had never heard of class s payments before today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

"S" Contributions entitle to some things but not much.

Your wife should read around this. It gives a good bit of info.

Swampy wrote: »
    This is true. We just hand over our accounts to the accountant and write the cheque when the balance is due. I had never heard of class s payments before today.
    i know of a farmer of retirement age whose accountant diligently completed the non-contributory pension application form and submitted all associated paperwork, charged the farmer a good bit extra for his trouble, only for SW to promptly inform him that he was entitled to the full monty contributory pension with his spouse as fully qaulified adult, she having no means of her own, having paid his s class contribution as required by law for 20 + year. who had paid this yearly contribution on his behalf? why! the accountant of course. this couple had spent weeks worrying that they werent going to get anything because of the means test.:(

Advertisement