Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AAI event permits

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

plodder wrote: »
    True. BHAA Dublin is effectively a Dublin Running League. They've stretched their original "business" remit pretty far at this stage. Not that I'm complaining as they run a very effective operation. But it is a shame that it isn't integrated more into the rest of the athletics system. I've been running and competing for 5 years now, and have never come across any attempt by AAI/clubs to recruit runners like me into their system. So, it's certainly not the BHAA's fault. But then again, maybe AAI/clubs are primarily interested in bringing on youth talent. So, this would be a distraction for them. If that's the case, then maybe the split is between elite/ and non-elite athletics. Since, I haven't joined a club (yet), I don't really know.

Excellent. This is an example where if the BHAA was within AAI then you would be already be a member of a club by default and integrated into the athletics system and who knows finding new talents which you didn't know you had, eg, coaching, recruiting, fundraising, sponsorship, development etc etc. And all these could be benefiting the wider sport. This shows the breakdown. You are an active member of BHAA yet there is no effort by BHAA to get you to join a club (and rightly so as they have no obligation to AAI and clubs and I would argue to the wider sport) or AAI to come and recruit you to a club. If it all becomes one, the breakdown goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

As per IAAF Constitution

Rule 1

Definitions

Athletics
    Track and field athletics, road running, race walking and cross country running.
    Thanks meathcountsec - that's the definition of athletics but I don't know that it's the definition of athletics meeting as referred to in the IAAF rule? Our club holds regular time trials which don't have a permit of course and members of other clubs often take part. Does you interpret the rule to mean that technically the athletes could be banned since they are running in an unpermitted event? The rule you quoted seems to be so vague as to make me think that debating its repercussions is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrak wrote: »
    Our club holds regular time trials which don't have a permit of course and members of other clubs often take part. Does you interpret the rule to mean that technically the athletes could be banned since they are running in an unpermitted event? The rule you quoted seems to be so vague as to make me think that debating its repercussions is a waste of time.

Not all athletics events/meetings/whatever require a permit. Events that are confined to club members/other AAI registered athletes within the same county, for instance, do not require one.

I believe the "vagueness" in the Rule is deliberate, as is the case with most legislation, athletics related or otherwise. The interpretation is left to the IAAF/Member who can and will take individual case circumstances into account.

I am always at the disposal of the IAAF if they require some direction in the interpretation of their own rules;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Tingle, I'm not sure you fully understand the make up of the BHAA or their constitution. I must have a chat with you some day about it. Most BHAA events have different Race Directors so it would be unfair on the AAI to say that BHAA road races are organised better then AAI ones.
    The BHAA do their own thing very well and are happy to cater for inter firm athletics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Condo131 wrote: »
    [I know some people are going to say that if the BHAA don't need a permit, why should anyone else (like the commercial races). The BHAA has been going for some 30 odd years and is excellently regulated, with good standards, has it's own insurance and critically, as a 'rival' organisation, does not run championships or select representative athletes for international duty]

There are Inter-firm international meets.

Advertisement