Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sexiest Diesel??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    The point about bhp per litre is to bring some reality about diesels.

No, there is no point about going on about bhp per litre and extrapolating from that, as it is fiction.

Point is when you sit behind a wheel and what happens when you press the loud pedal. In a supercar very good things should happen, and really that is the bottom line. A diesel under heavy acceleration sounds as nice as any petrol. All things being equal if anyone is willing to forgo a huge economy benenfit and a wall of torque (yes no matter which way you "twist" it, diesels general more power per rpm) for the noise you hear on a cold morning they should join Paul Gascoigne in his new home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This is the sexiest diesel motor in Ireland today. Sh!t exhaust note, a really low redline, and diesel fumes so thick you can feel the lung cancer coming on. But at 3200bhp it blows pretty much everything else into the weeds.

Opel owners, feel proud. Built by General Motors in Canada, the first one was actually flown over to Ireland (all 112 tonnes) in one of those massive Antanov cargo planes (no doubt there'll be an enquiry about that yet).

Ladies and gentlemen, the CIE 201-II class:

250px-Iarnrod_Eireann_Class_201.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

maidhc wrote: »
    No, there is no point about going on about bhp per litre and extrapolating from that, as it is fiction.

Point is when you sit behind a wheel and what happens when you press the loud pedal. In a supercar very good things should happen, and really that is the bottom line. A diesel under heavy acceleration sounds as nice as any petrol. All things being equal if anyone is willing to forgo a huge economy benenfit and a wall of torque (yes no matter which way you "twist" it, diesels general more power per rpm) for the noise you hear on a cold morning they should join Paul Gascoigne in his new home!

The argument about torque would be fine, apart from the fact that cars have gears for a reason. The 2 engine types have totally different driving characteristics, if you drive petrols like a diesel should be driven and vice versa then of course you'll be disappointed by one or the other.

In the case of Fords the economy benefit is indeed huge because Fords petrol engines are stonge age technologically speaking, but I do very little driving, so fuel costs don't worry me at all, not even slightly.

In the case of a car maker like BMW which has some of the most advanced petrol engines on sale(if someone can show me another car that has a virtual common rail style injection system with piezo injectors, and variable valve timing on both inlet and exhaust valves then I'll gladly give them a mention, I don't want to be using BMW all the time), then the economy gap can actually be very small between the 2 fuels. The 530i with an Automatic gearbox does 37.7 mpg, the 530d with an Automatic gearbox does 42.2 mpg. So the diesel is just 11% more efficient than the petrol model. It actually pollutes just 2 g/km less CO2 than the petrol model believe it or not, because every litre of diesel burned emits 10-13% more CO2 into the atmosphere than every litre of petrol(ok, the gap is wider if I used manual models of both, but who buys a 3.0 executive saloon with a manual gearbox?).

Compared to a Mondeo, where the 2.0 TDCi 140 is 33.8% more efficient under the EU tests than the 2.0 petrol, because the Mondeo's 2.0 has no variable valve timing, and no piezo injectors or common rail style injection(the diesels are pretty much the same technologically speaking in both cars).

The point being that if you put the technology into petrol cars, you can get very close to diesels for economy and emissions if you want to;)!

I don't have a hatred for diesel maidhc. My dad will be getting a diesel car next year because of my persuasding him to do so(he was going to be getting one this year but I told him to wait till the new VRT changes came, then we found out that there was a new Avensis on the way, so hes not buying till that comes out at the earliest) for the very first time, now if I hated diesels do you think I'd have told him to wait(would I have even tried to presuade him to get one);)?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,943 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JHMEG wrote: »
    diesel fumes so thick you can feel the lung cancer coming on

ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭maidhc

The argument about torque would be fine, apart from the fact that cars have gears for a reason. The 2 engine types have totally different driving characteristics, if you drive petrols like a diesel should be driven and vice versa then of course you'll be disappointed by one or the other.

I know, but a diesel generates more torque at the crankshaft, and has a far greater power backup.

So to keep this on thread, there is no reason why a supercar etc could be insanely cool, despite having diesel power. Lower RPMS, but more instant delivery, a more flexible engine etc.

I refuse to believe any 3L petrol automatic will do even remotely close to 40mpg. If they did 30 I would say it is an engineering miracle!

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    I refuse to believe any 3L petrol automatic will do even remotely close to 40mpg. If they did 30 I would say it is an engineering miracle!
    Here's one that does 37.7 mpg on the combined cycle(a claimed 37.7 of course:D). And here is one that averages nearly 40 mpg(claimed) on the same cycle. In out of town driving it will apparently do 50.4 mpg:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Here's one that does 37.7 mpg on the combined cycle(a claimed 37.7 of course:D). And here is one that averages nearly 40 mpg(claimed) on the same cycle. In out of town driving it will apparently do 50.4 mpg:eek:.

Lol, I was sitting here wondering would you get the reply in under 30min, nice one! :)

The BMW Petrol (in particular) engines are fantastic, their CO2 rating (ie for Tax purposes) and excellent MPG are really coming to public attention these days. I for one welcome the fact that someday soon Irish people wont be afraid of everything over 2.0l ("cos de tax would kill ye") and BMW are leading the way.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Lol, I was sitting here wondering would you get the reply in under 30min, nice one! :)

The BMW Petrol (in particular) engines are fantastic, their CO2 rating (ie for Tax purposes) and excellent MPG are really coming to public attention these days. I for one welcome the fact that someday soon Irish people wont be afraid of everything over 2.0l ("cos de tax would kill ye") and BMW are leading the way.
    In fairness it's only the EfficientDynamics ones that are really good on mpg and CO2. The non ED ones are only a bit better than their rivals(thougfh still better). +1 about the anything over 2.0 litre statement btw(as an aside, I know I said I'd update my VRT thread last Friday re the Beetle, and I apologisde as I know I haven't done it yet, but I'm waiting to get the prices of the new Focus, and make a couple of other changes, and when that's done, I'll post a new thread with the updated Beetle pricelists, I haven't forgotten about it;)).

The impressive thing about the 6 pots with ED is that you're in the same tax and CO2 band once you put an Autobox into them. I don't know of any other car that allows you to choose a petrol and pay no VRT or road tax penalty over the diesel model apart from that.

Though Merc have a couple of low emissions versions on the way, and VAG have those e models from Audi, so others are certainly catching up with BMW re emssions/tax etc, but they seem to be using just one/ a few version(s) as a halo type car, while BMW have applied the fuel saving tech to all their cars bar the M models, X3, Z4 and 7 series(and all of these cars will be replaced by the end of next year, so the entire BMW range will have ED by then) at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92, if you keep talking like that, you'll have to start refusing to sell 535d's, 335d', 320d's, 520d's etc. You can't bemoan them on one hand, and write out order forms for them with the other.........!! ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,943 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    E92, if you keep talking like that, you'll have to start refusing to sell 535d's, 335d', 320d's, 520d's etc. You can't bemoan them on one hand, and write out order forms for them with the other.........!! ;)

E92 does not sell BMWs for a living afaik :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maxol ftw. :D

Not your ornery onager

unkel wrote: »
    yup, I've nothing at all to do with BMW(or any other maker). the height of what I've got to do with BMW is the fact that I like 'em galwaytt(but I like loads of other cars too, and not all BMWs are good either):).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Not yet..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm sure when it comes to Le Mans, this R8 will do very well as it won't have to make as many stops as the rest and the drive should be less tiring for the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'm surprosed that nobody has pointed out that the car in the OP's post is an ugly contraption....

And the 407 gets slagged for having a gaping whale mouth??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

prospect wrote: »
    I'm surprosed that nobody has pointed out that the car in the OP's post is an ugly contraption....

And the 407 gets slagged for having a gaping whale mouth??

it is ugly and the interior is woeful for a car of that price

Advertisement