Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sexiest Diesel??

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

I think so.....Audi R8 V12 TDI (Concept)

76e540be015742a9824cba8513d9c235.jpg

45c3b3209aa643d99f1244966426c0eb.jpg

f045f08772ae461cbb808478f52cc283.jpg

5f677adde25442dc8f860a3d889f88aa.jpg

5011ad0ca9b5407cb5bca77aed02d3d0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

wat would nt you do for that car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

wat would nt you do for that car??

pay the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I cant see the point of supercars with diesel engines.

Whoes going to buy them ?

• Advertisement

rich farmers?

If 5000 people buy an A4 diesel as a result of seeing this concept, then their work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Half the fun of a super car is listning to the growl from the petrol engine. It just doesn't sound the same with a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've heard it and it sounds like a fighter jet. its on you tube.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGGWY_CwO0&NR=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

JJJJNR wrote: »

Ive heard more noise from 1 litre corsa's with big bore exhauts

I wonder what it sounds like when the engine is idling and cold .. prehaps any other diesel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Thats a great sound....:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Barr wrote: »
    I cant see the point of supercars with diesel engines.

Whoes going to buy them ?

Their aim maybe to show them as "Green" supercars, or just to showcase the advancement of diesel technology.

They have the looks of their petrol brothers but offer more than 15 gallons to the mile fuel consumption.

Quotes from Audi at launch:

“We are challenging the final piece of conventional wisdom [about diesel engine cars],” said Audi AG Chairman Rupert Stadler. The R8 TDI concept’s 6.0-liter V12 twin-turbo engine develops 500 horsepower and 737 lb-ft of torque. It nails the 0-62 mph sprint in 4.2 seconds, with a top speed of more than 186 mph.

Fuel economy may not be top of the criteria list for supercar buyers, but the R8 V12 TDI concept scores even here, testing at 24 mpg.

How clean is it? Clean enough to meet the ultra-tough California emissions standards that still defeat many lesser diesels.

With the standard R8 already on sale and very well-regarded, it’s entirely possible that this concept could be produced, albeit at low volume. But it’s equally important to Audi as a way of making a point about the potential of diesel engines to deliver economy, cleanliness, and performance.

With a diesel in the R8, "the sky is the limit," said an Audi board member.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can't believe nobody has gone down the smart ass route with this one yet.
    So I must.

0_vin11024x768.jpg

Bwahaha
    Hohoho
    Heeheehee
    I am funnier than sex with a fat chick in a mini.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres nothing wrong with diesel supercars, they did extremely well when they were introduced to the lemans 24hr races.,

the first pic looks like something from a gillette add, too many fins and grills and whats with those "pimp my ride" chrome wheels.,lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

bazz26 wrote: »
    Half the fun of a super car is listning to the growl from the petrol engine. It just doesn't sound the same with a diesel.

Ever heard a V10 TDI Tourag go by !! sounds pretty sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They might look nice, but they are still diesels ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

WHITE_P wrote: »

Probably sounds sweet for a Tourag. :D

But then listen to the roar from the V8 petrol R8. :cool: IMO somethings should just be left as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've heard it and it sounds like a fighter jet

Or a Dyson, or a Vax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

WHITE_P wrote: »

I have and it's rubbish:D!(not in this country, but in Monaco)

Lads, if Audi can get the FIA to twist a few rules here and there and nobody says boo so that it is a lot more advantageous to have a diesel in Le Mans, that's fine, but it is hardly a level playing field is it? That is the reason Audi developed a diesel Le Mans car.

The whole point of this car is to knock the old diesel prejudices and stereotypes once and for all.

The R8 TDI may have 500 bhp, or 83 bhp per litre, but a BMW M5 can get 507 bhp from a 5.0 V10, or 101 bhp per litre, and even their own 4.2 V8 in the R8 has an output of 99 bhp per litre, so if Audi stretched out their own 4.2 V8 petrol to a 6.0 we would get a car with 593 bhp roughly.

I have no doubt a car with 737 lb ft of torque would do overtaking in fractions of a second, but that is missing the point. Supercars are about raw power high drama and high revs. 500 bhp is a huge amount of power, but there won't be the soundtrack of a petrol engine in the back and there certainly won't be the high revs either.

I think the new engine would make a wonderful addition as a top of the range A8, where none of this matters and Q7(this is already confirmed though), but supercars are supposed to be a high revving screamers with a wonderful exhaust note, and the R8 TDI is just not going to achieve this.

I don't want to sound all negative, the technological achievements in this engine are astonishing, and further proof if any were needed how much diesels have changed for the better. It's a case of a great engine being in the wrong car.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Or a Dyson, or a Vax.
    +1. It sounds like a hoover. What's the point in having a supercar that sounds like a hoover :confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote: »
    I think the new engine would make a wonderful addition as a top of the range A8, where none of this matters and Q7(this is already confirmed though), but supercars are supposed to be a high revving screamers with a wonderful exhaust note, and the R8 TDI is just not going to achieve this.

why?

A supercar is suppoed to go fast, very fast actually. What it sounds like in the process is quite irrelevant.

And I challenge anyone to say a large truck engine flat to the mat with the turbo(s) spinning doesn't sound absolutely fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote: »
    A supercar is suppoed to go fast, very fast actually. What it sounds like in the process is quite irrelevant.
    Irrelevant to who?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It mightn't sound great (esp at low speeds and when starting), but I quite like the look of the Alfa GT JTD (a production car!) ;).

why?

I completely disagree with you there. If I want something that sounds like a hoover, then I'll switch on the hoover at home!

If I want something that sounds like a supercar, then I'll buy a supercar with a proper engine i.e. petrol in it. Have you ever heard a supercar in real life? I challenge anyone to find a supercar that doesn't sound anything less than fantastic.

And the petrol one already does over 300 km/h, not exactly slow now is it? But if 414 bhp is too slow there will be a V10 petrol with 500 bhp in the R8 soon.

The TDi R8 will have the power, I have no doubt it would breeze past the current 4.2 V8 in the R8, but none of the drama, part of the appeal of supercars is having some big petrol engine with lots of cylinders making plenty of proper petrol noise, not dukka dukka dukka, diesel clatter and worse, something that sounds like a hoover, as the R10 TDI demonstrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

E92 wrote: »
    I have and it's rubbish:D!(not in this country, but in Monaco)

The R8 TDI may have 500 bhp, or 83 bhp per litre, but a BMW M5 can get 507 bhp from a 5.0 V10, or 101 bhp per litre, and even their own 4.2 V8 in the R8 has an output of 99 bhp per litre, so if Audi stretched out their own 4.2 V8 petrol to a 6.0 we would get a car with 593 bhp roughly.

+1. It sounds like a hoover. What's the point in having a supercar that sounds like a hoover :confused:?

Why do you constantly quote BHP/Litre figures! Its entirely irrelevant to the driver how big the cubic capacity vs BHP of their engine is (other than epeening on forums). And your extrapolation of BHP/Litre to dizzy heights is purely gross over-simplification of the complexities of engine design.

A 8.0L engine running on tomato ketchup that does 50MPG and 300BHP would still be a fantastic, world changing, engine so who cares how big the x.0litre it is? :rolleyes:

I have the V10 TDI too (in a Phaeton, not Touareg), as Ive posted before when cold and idle its a bit diesely (or like a rough petrol 4pot) but when revving its similar to a V8 petrol sound. Ive heard the V10 Touaregs at CeBit (in Hannover) and they were almost silent in the hustle and bustle when tipping along, much like the W12 (petrol) A8Ls also there. The W12 6.0l and V10 5.0L are positioned as flagship engines, awarded internationally and seen as the cutting edge in [German] engine design.

But I digress, performance and driveability should be paramount to a motoring enthusiast when discussing engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

imo, diesels arent sexy

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think colm_mcm has hot the nail on the head....these manufacturers never intend to sell any of these supercars in diesel. Its just to get the idea out there that diesel can be put in a car like that and have your A4 drivers saying..."its the same engine as in the R8"

Its how it drives that matters not how it sounds. Sorry but all those who are hung up on what an engine sounds like, come accross as being sad. Anyway when your belting along in your expensive car with its high performance engine, you should be listening to some good driving music.

Prodigy's diesel power, or fire starter comes to mind.

Even some classical music sounds good at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

why?

I think your mistaking a race car to a supercar. A supercar is supposed to very fast I'll give you that, but it is also supposed to make all your senses tingle, every time you look at it, every time you drive it, every time you hear, you are supposed to be wowed :cool:

In fact sound characterises some supercars, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin ect.. tune their cars to sound like a Ferrari, an Aston ect..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭maidhc

conneem-TT wrote: »
    I think your mistaking a race car to a supercar. A supercar is supposed to very fast I'll give you that, but it is also supposed to make all your senses tingle, every time you look at it, every time you drive it, every time you hear, you are supposed to be wowed :cool:

In fact sound characterises some supercars, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin ect.. tune their cars to sound like a Ferrari, an Aston ect..

Fair enough, sound is important, but i think part of the reason people like the sound of large petrol engines is the connotations of that sound rather than something intrinsically appealing to the human psyche!

Maybe if ferraris had been powered by briggs and stratton we would be talking about the wonders of the two stoke engine!

Either way I own both a loud petrol and a modern diesel. They bought sound nice when floored!

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Why do you constantly quote BHP/Litre figures! Its entirely irrelevant to the driver how big the cubic capacity vs BHP of their engine is (other than epeening on forums). And your extrapolation of BHP/Litre to dizzy heights is purely gross over-simplification of the complexities of engine design.

A 8.0L engine running on tomato ketchup that does 50MPG and 300BHP would still be a fantastic, world changing, engine so who cares how big the x.0litre it is? :rolleyes:
    The point about bhp per litre is to bring some reality about diesels. I'm tired of people and manufacturers telling me how diesels are so much more powerful than petrols these days. You'd swear the petrol engine has no power at all these days you know:rolleyes:. And to put these so called technological wonders into perspective. It's not hard to get either fuel to produce x bhp. Just make the engine bigger. It is harder to get it to get plenty of power from the engine size though, and diesels still are nowhere near as good. The ones that match petrols have twin turbos, meanwhile, petrols still are turboless.

I sound like a Hondamentalist banging on about bhp per litre, I will try to calm down about it;)!

As for sound, I find most diesels rubbish sounding(though some more than others), compared to petrols of the same cylinder type. Just a personal opinion these things are subjective I know, no offence intended to your car(fair play to you for standing out from the crowd by buying such a car), but I know I much prefer petrol noise to diesel dukka dukka dukka:D!

Advertisement