Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The George

Options
  • 12-09-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello

Just a question about the George. Is it a feasible place for someone of the age of 40 to go and meet a guy while have a quiet drink or not? Midweek time

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For a quiet drink there, you're looking at Bridies which has an older crowd anyway. The other two bars are also worth considering (Pantibar/Front Lounge). The main George is a nightclub and can be quite busy on any given night of the week depending on what else is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hello

Just a question about the George. Is it a feasible place for someone of the age of 40 to go and meet a guy while have a quiet drink or not? Midweek time
    I'd say you'd enjoy Front Lounge or Pantibar more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes is the answer. The old front bar part called Bridies. I do think that Pantibar or Front Lounge might work better though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I've also got a question what kind of people go to Panti these days, mostly at weekends. I've never been and really want to check it out but at the same time don't want to be the only early 20s in the joint ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Ash885 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I've also got a question what kind of people go to Panti these days, mostly at weekends. I've never been and really want to check it out but at the same time don't want to be the only early 20s in the joint ^^

Really mixed at weekend. You won't have a problem but def around the time the show is on would be your best bet. Sat 9pm-11pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed, Panti probably has the widest range of age groups and is always buzzing these days. Someone in their early 20s will not feel out of place (or any other age for that matter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

Daith wrote: »
    Really mixed at weekend. You won't have a problem but def around the time the show is on would be your best bet. Sat 9pm-11pm

Yeah I'm 19 and went with some similarly aged friends last Saturday and we didn't feel out of place at all.

That's great cheers lads. Front Lounge just seems very clichy at the moment; cant strike up a conversation with anyone in that joint! Shall try Panti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

That's great cheers lads. Front Lounge just seems very clichy at the moment; cant strike up a conversation with anyone in that joint! Shall try Panti.
    Front Lounge is hit and miss in terms of chatting up people (it attracts a select few people who are pretentious and adore themselves) but it is a good buzz on a weekend evening.

My expierence of the Front Lounge is that it's generally full of groups so hard to break in. It gets better after 12ish on Sat after people head to Mother or G though. Mother could be another spot for you to try too.

• Advertisement

My expierence of the Front Lounge is that it's generally full of groups so hard to break in. It gets better after 12ish on Sat after people head to Mother or G though. Mother could be another spot for you to try too.

I've never even thought of Mother, nor have I ever been. I've heard it's smaller?

To be honest the G is just too much these days. Same old, same old and usually just end up befriending all the girls in the joint as opposed to any of the fellas :pac: Wanted to go into the Dragon but my mates refuse saying it's like a daycare centre these days.

I've never even thought of Mother, nor have I ever been. I've heard it's smaller?

Yes it's a tiny venue but worth a look on a Sat (after 1am ish).

I'd recommend maybe something like

Panti 9pm ish to 12am ish
    Front Lounge 12am to 1am
    Mother

Mother and Front Lounge are right beside each other too.
    To be honest the G is just too much these days. Same old, same old and usually just end up befriending all the girls in the joint as opposed to any of the fellas :pac: Wanted to go into the Dragon but my mates refuse saying it's like a daycare centre these days.

I still prefer G to Dragon and I'd prob agree with the daycare assessment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Healthis

I wouldn't recommend the Dragon. It is poorly laid out which makes it difficult to strike up a conversation with people. I think the booths are a terrible idea as groups tend to loiter there and cut themselves off from the rest of the club. The music is mostly terrible remixed trash.

Panti bar seems like a good spot but I've little experience of it.

The George is great for meeting people and there is plenty of space to move around. Attracts a slightly older crowd and the usual sleaze bags as with all these venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnHodge999

Not sounding too positive for me so. I am in the city and hoping to meet someone in a bar as I will be out alone

Not sounding too positive for me so. I am in the city and hoping to meet someone in a bar as I will be out alone

PantiBar and/or George are your best bet tbh. Just don't go too early to them.

PantiBar and/or George are your best bet tbh. Just don't go too early to them.

I think that's my problem, being there when the doors basically open and feeling like the furniture until it packs up! Need a good night in Dubbers pronto :p

so what is this panti bar like on Mondays from 9 on while alone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fairly dead.

When you approach the George, which door is for the pub part, Bridies?

Would anyone be there on a Monday at circa 10pm?

When you approach the George, which door is for the pub part, Bridies?

The door closer to the corner.
    Would anyone be there on a Monday at circa 10pm?

Probably!

• Advertisement

Okay I'm going to try your advice this time around Daith, if there's no Romeo at the other side count yourself in trouble haha

Okay I'm going to try your advice this time around Daith, if there's no Romeo at the other side count yourself in trouble haha

Well I'm single so take my advice with a pinch of salt! :P

Panti music was amazeballs, which was a welcome suprise. Place was pretty dead though so we left around 10.15ish! Will defo. be back next time round though.

Panti music was amazeballs, which was a welcome suprise. Place was pretty dead though so we left around 10.15ish! Will defo. be back next time round though.

Ah, I'd say that was more to do with Panti being in Lisdonvarna.

When there I thought as much alright. Was looking forward to fanboying over seeing him finally but alas, another time ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed, Panti probably has the widest range of age groups and is always buzzing these days. Someone in their early 20s will not feel out of place (or any other age for that matter!)
    Pretty much yeah, but last time I was there felt like Jurassic Park had crossed the river....

Advertisement