Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changeing uk out of date 20pound notes

Options
  • 31-05-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi I was over in London last Wednesday for the football match as i have not being there for over 5 years i had some notes that nobody would accept as they said they were out of date and i would have to go to the Bank of England.Now back in Ireland will my Bank change them Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Hi I was over in London last Wednesday for the football match as i have not being there for over 5 years i had some notes that nobody would accept as they said they were out of date and i would have to go to the Bank of England.Now back in Ireland will my Bank change them Thanks.:confused:

is it possible that you had Northern Ireland Sterling ... shops etc in mainland England refuse to accept it or Scottish Sterling - but if you are in Scotland or Nordyland they'll accept both.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Corkbah wrote: »
    is it possible that you had Northern Ireland Sterling ... shops etc in mainland England refuse to accept it or Scottish Sterling - but if you are in Scotland or Nordyland they'll accept both.
    everybody sayed my notes were out of date even tried one in a busy pub no good.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

a bank in England should have taken them... so cant see why the central bank (or most banks) wont accept them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The 20 pound note was re-issued a while back, and the one you most likely have has been withdrawn from circulation.

They can be exchanged: see http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

A retail bank in the UK *may* exchange it for you, but it's at their discretion. Officially, it's the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Hold on to them, and the next time you are in the UK (inc NI) take them to any high street bank/building society and ask to change them.

More info here:
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/exchanges.aspx

• Advertisement

Wont be heading back to the uk for a while will try my bank where I got them next week I have a receipt so hope they will not be any problem.

Wont be heading back to the uk for a while will try my bank where I got them next week I have a receipt so hope they will not be any problem.

Did they give them to you recently? If so then it's deffo their fault and they'll have to take them back. The old 20 pound notes went out of circulation 3 years ago, if not more.

And don't let them convert them back to Euros at the "we buy at" rate. They should give reimburse you completely at the rate they sold them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Richard wrote: »
    And don't let them convert them back to Euros at the "we buy at" rate. They should give reimburse you completely at the rate they sold them to you.
    What was the rate 5 years ago?

by the receipt it was 0.73:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with an old tenner that had been rejected by a tube station ticket machine. I tried to exchange it in a couple of banks, but I was told I needed to lodge it into an account. A bureau de change at Heathrow changed it for me in the end.

• Advertisement

by the receipt it was 0.73:(

Ok well if you changed the money 5 years ago, it's not the fault of the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butadoo

i know its an old post but OP did you get the pounds sorted? have a similar situation and dont feel like flying to uk to bank of england, did anyone got them changed here in ireland?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I swapped some in my local ulster bank last year. They were unfazed when I asked them.

Have a go with your local bank.

Advertisement