Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Allowance Max Rent Levels Question

Options
  • 26-04-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am just wondering if any can answer a question on the max rent levels for Rent Allowance.

I have figured out that the max rent applicable for a single person in shared accomodation in Dublin is €390.

I pay €400 a month currently, so I'm wondering will it be rejected on the basis of just being over by a small amount or do they take your circumstances into account financially etc...obviously I don't want to just put down that I pay €390 as this might just look like I'm lying.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's the maximum amount. It actually says that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 delicatebalance

Yes, but as it is means tested and €10 a month is barely over I was just wondering if they judge it per individual case. But thanks for your sarcastic reply.

And also, not that I would do this, but what would stop someone paying €400 from stating that they pay €390 and that the other tenant they share the accommodation with agreed to pay the €10 difference, just so they would then come in at the required level to qualify?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That is the maximum amount.
    Your application will be rejected and you will be told to get alternative accomodation or get the landlord to reduce the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

snubbleste wrote: »
    That is the maximum amount.
    Your application will be rejected and you will be told to get alternative accomodation or get the landlord to reduce the rent.

Your application MAY be refused because it is over the limit. It is not automatic, although CWOs are becoming more and more rigid with application of the rules, and in some areas CWOs apply a reasonable rent limit that is below the maximum, depending on their knowledge of what reasonable rent for the area in question is.

To be on the safe side you would be better trying to get the rent reduced by 10 Euro if you can. Landlords should be aware of the rent limits for their area.

As for your other suggestion in relation to misrepresenting the actual amount of the rent, this is of course welfare fraud on the part of the applicant and the landlord (and possibly tax fraud on the part of the landlord too), but it is common practice, and where this is the case, unscrupulous landlords will often expect you to break the law and make up the difference out of your welfare payment. If a landlord does this, you should report him to the authorities.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Lugh. I completely agree, welfare fraud is the last thing we need at a time like this.

But I just wonder, as I'm sharing with another tenant, it is of course up to us how we split the principal rent, he already pays more than I do as he occupies a bigger room with more space and furniture etc, it wouldn't be fraud if we negotiated the difference ourselves? I'm sure he would be willing to pay an extra ten euro, but my point is I'm sure stating that my rent is €390 would look suspicious as it is right on the limit, even though that would be the case.

I doubt my landlord would give us a rent reduction and I doubt he's going to be thrilled that I'm thinking of applying for RA in the first place, I have been working for most of my tenancy but unfortunately lost my job and am finding it hard to keep up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You will need evidence that your rent is the amount that it is. You will need to show a tenancy agreement setting out what your portion of the rent is.

You may be surprised at your landlord, personally my landlord reduced my rent from 1000 to 800 when my CWO told me that I had to get somewhere cheaper. In the current climate landlords would prefer to have a tenant paying slightly less than no tenant at all.

Ah I see, that clarifies it for me, thanks Lugh. As it stands, on my lease agreement it just states the whole cost of the rent for the apartment and isn't broken down per room.

Thanks for your advice, I just hope my landlord is okay with signing the forms for me, I'll just tell them my actual rent and hope for the best, even though it's only €10 in the difference.

Advertisement