Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Newly refurbed wheels need some protection

Options
  • 06-08-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I picked up a set of 19" BMW OEM CSLs earlier this year and just recently had them refurbished by Wheel Wizards. They're done about 4 weeks now, don't have tyres and have never been on the car. Before I put them on for what's left of the summer I want to lay down a good foundation to keep them in their best condition; those refurbs aren't cheap.

I have time to put on layers upon layers of protection while they are inside the house so what do you recommend? Also, since this is the first time I'll have wheels actually worth caring for what do you recommend for general maintenance?

My shopping list (researched a long time ago) looks something like:

Collinite 845
    CG Wheel Guard
    Orchard Iron Cleanse
    Isopropanyl Alcohol
    EZ detail wheel brushes
    Racoon wheel brush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

After spending the money on the refurb, you are best getting the products that will be the best, which obviously wont be the cheapest.

CG’s Wheel Guard isnt too bad but isnt hugely durable. You should look into Nano Sealants which will give up to and over a years durability if cared for well.
    gtechniq C5, Wolfs Chemicals Rim Shield and others are the type Id be looking at.

Choosing good brushes is also a big factor to keeping the wheels in the like new condition. Many brushes will do a good job but actually over time dull the surface in the same way paintwork can get scratched. Strongly recommend you consider Wheel Woolies...soft microfibre heads on them that is safe for all wheel finishes.

Iron Cleanse and Isopropyl Alcohol will be needed for the prep work, but after a nano sealant coating only, with regular washing, shampop and water and agitation will probably be sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Gtechniq is on my wheels about 6 months now and the dirt just washes off.
    I spray on meguiars wheel brightner and power wash off after about a minute, no need for a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So no wheel sealers/polish required then after I get Gtechniq C5? Will 15ml do four new wheels and should I double coat? I'll certainly pick up some Wheel Woolies, Iron Cleanse and Isopropyl, no issue putting down some more cash to cover my investment. Do I need to reseal the wheels after a regular wash (Maxisuds based)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Finish care FK1000P. 3 coats of that and all I have to do is wash them with soapy water every so often.

Cool tin as well.

The gtechniq is supposed to be excellent but I have never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I coated mine in Gtechniq C5 when I got them refurbished. You're better off to get the 30ml bottle. That's what I got and I just about had enough. Then again, I did the face, behind the spokes and the inner barrel so if you're only doing the face then 15ml is sufficient.

When that cured I then applied a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard followed by a coat of Collinite 845. I remove them every so often, wash them, clean them down with IPA and apply WG and 845. It's obvious that the C5 is still there doing its job but the WG and 845 make it a LOT easier to clean them once they're on the car.

Do NOT use a wheel brush on them. Before I got mine refurbished, I DA'd all the scratches out of the face just to see what damage the wheel brush actually did. It was lovely and shiney for about 2 weeks and the brush was putting scratches back onto it like no man's business. Since I got them done, I've used a separate wash mitt to clean them. I bought the wheel woolies but the biggest one won't fit past my brake discs. They're very good though!

For a touchless clean in order to totally eliminate any scratches or dulling, I now use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel. It's an active wheel cleaner that has a fallout remover (Iron Cleanse type stuff) in it. All you do is spray it on, let it work for a few minutes and powerwash off; job done with no washing or rubbing. I've also proven it to myself that it's Ph neutral so all your Wheel Guard and 845 will not be removed. You needn't worry about C5 coming off because the only way to remove that is to DA it off or wait the 2 years for it to wear off itself. It's sold in 1 ltr bottles so one bottle should last you 4 - 6 washes.

• Advertisement

No need to reseal. Once you do them once and dont use any harsh chemicals washing them afterwards, it should last you up to a year or over.

Curran wrote: »
    No need to reseal. Once you do them once and dont use any harsh chemicals washing them afterwards, it should last you up to a year or over.

I use tar remover each time so I have to reseal ;)

I use IPA in order to completely remove any trace of tar remover and give the sealants the best possible surface to bond to.

You get 150ml of Wolf's Rim Shield for approx the same price as the C5 in 15ml. Durability is rated as a year when cared for.
    You'll also have to currently source C5 in the UK, the Irish supplier is not shipping again until the 18th (holidays) and they are out of stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Ah sure ye could also lash dem with a bit of de old "Hot Wheels" from Halfords. Great stuff!;)

Cheers lads, I think I'll go for the Wolf this time out; that C5 is expensive stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Phil_Lives

I really question whether alloy wheels are worth the hassle any more.
    I've watched my father pamper his own car from new for the last 8 years and Alloys just appear to deteriorate with time. The alloys were never kerbed and the car is low milage.
    My own car is 14 years old and has only got 32k miles on it and the alloys have deteriorated due to corrosion and I've had them refurbished but the refurbished wheel is never the same as the original.
    My other car goes around on black rims for almost 5 months of the year because a second set of alloys is an expensive luxury for winter tyres.

I say, bring back the stainless steel hubcap and be done with it.
    mK3mXCBZ8lse79v004ZMyDA.jpg
    SAAB 9000 hub cap.

When you say pamper....do you mean regularly washing them? What was used to wash them?

Pampering alloy wheels would be sealing them, washing them with something that wont deteriorate the sealant, using brushes that wont scratch the surface and using a fall out remover every few weeks to remove any embedded iron particles.

Pampering to someone else could be using acidic wheel cleaner, stiff bristle brush.... not decontaminating regularly and without sealant.

Soft cloth.

There can be no denying that Alloy Wheels age terribly.

Just a soft cloth and water? Thats all they ever got?

Hot iron particles from your brake pads embedded themselves in the surface of the alloy wheels and this accelerates the appearance of deterioration. If well cared for, alloy wheels should look great for years and years. That would mean taking them all off and doing a full job on them. Wash, de-tar, de-iron, clay and ideally sealing them.

Curran wrote: »
    Just a soft cloth and water? Thats all they ever got?

Hot iron particles from your brake pads embedded themselves in the surface of the alloy wheels and this accelerates the appearance of deterioration. If well cared for, alloy wheels should look great for years and years. That would mean taking them all off and doing a full job on them. Wash, de-tar, de-iron, clay and ideally sealing them.
    Can you step back and consider what you proposing there. Last time I switched summer to winter tyres just changing the wheels took one hour of itself without adding in time for cleaning. I'm more able bodied than most. Alloy wheels are a curse especailly mine. One of which has about 14 spokes and the others which have multiple small holes towards the outer rim(think similiar design to a 1980's Mercedes Alloy).

Claying aside - even if you weren't to do it!

De-tar and de-iron is 20 mins work, max!! For all 4 wheels! Spray on de-tar, let dwell, rinse off. Spray on de-iron, let dwell, rinse off!

If you were applying sealant, then absolutely, it would be a pain to do, but all the more reason to do it, as they are painful trying to clean them weekly. If they are well sealed, weekly washing is a doddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Can anyone comment on the quality of the finish of the work done by wheel wizards and how it has held up after a few months.?

Gonna drop a few wheels into them I think, they are cheaper than some other places I've spoken to

Quality is excellent....Ive only heard of one guy being slightly disappointed and they offered to re-do them.....he's very particular.

I got the wheels on mine done a few years back and they were perfect and would still be if there were no kerbs! :P Picked up a bit of rash but has not effected the finish. This is due to them fully stripping the wheels and re-doing the whole lot, not just the faces, as it can often lift by just doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭creedp

Phil_Lives wrote: »
    Can you step back and consider what you proposing there. Last time I switched summer to winter tyres just changing the wheels took one hour of itself without adding in time for cleaning. I'm more able bodied than most. Alloy wheels are a curse especailly mine. One of which has about 14 spokes and the others which have multiple small holes towards the outer rim(think similiar design to a 1980's Mercedes Alloy).

I would agree with this. Some time back I decided to go the whole hog with detailing and invested a fair bit if dosh on a range of products - I detared, deironed, clayed, polished, sealed and waxed the car. The whole process took me close to 10 hours I think - I finished it in the garage at around 3am! Problem is I've never managed to repeat this process. I washed and waxed the car regularly enough initially but more recently after the arrival of number 4 I simply can't spare the time required to do a full job anymore. More often than not its the rain cleans the bloody car or if it gets really dirty I wash and use a quick detailer on it. I would love to have the free time to use all the products I bought 'way back then' but alas no chance.

So good luck to the guys that can - I will simply remain a lurker here to see what other do!!

Can anyone comment on the quality of the finish of the work done by wheel wizards and how it has held up after a few months.?

Gonna drop a few wheels into them I think, they are cheaper than some other places I've spoken to

I wouldn't be the most particular so for me the work was top notch. Paying very close attention to them during the sealing with Wolf Chemicals Rim Shield showed up a few spots where stray threads/grit got sealed in on the lacquer coats. Very few and far between, entirely unnoticeable except when you're 10 inches from the rim. Remind me in a few months and I'll give you an update

• Advertisement

I got mine done by Wheel Wizards a few months ago. I'm very particular about my car and these kind of jobs (due to being a detailer. I remove them every so often and give them a full detail and full protection afterwards so I get to see every inch of them inside and out.

They're in as good nick now as they were the day I collected them. Can't recommend WW highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I wasn't overly happy with the job they did for me. Quite a few dry spots on the wheels. I'm sure they would have fixed it had I gone back with them though.

I do know of several people who were unhappy with the work they did too - so I guess the main thing is that you thoroughly check any wheels before you leave with them.

That said, I'll probably end up getting another set done with them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Probably worth me following up on my previous post. Dropped in a set of wheels for a refurb last week and got them back today, and they're pretty much perfect. Am very happy with them.

Mentioned the issue with the previous set and he told me I should have brought them back and he would have redone them. Normally I would have - but the car they're on is SORN'd so couldn't get it over and I didn't have spares.

As for protection, it'll be some gtechniq!

Advertisement