Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Honours Maths, what are my options?!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Leaving Cert with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm sure there's one or two courses you can do, I definitely remember seeing one yesterday but the CAO has closed :confused:
    You're best chance of college (if you did indeed fail!) is if you find that course asap and send a letter to the CAO and say you sent it yesterday before 5.15, but I'm not sure if that'll work. It's worth a try though! I think you may have to repeat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Try not to worry about it until August when your results come out.

When you get your results, thats when you decide if you want to repeat or not because you just never know. Most people do better than expected in the exams.

I would say try looking for FETAC courses to apply for. They may be easy but its a hell of a lot more benefitial than studying the same material you've been learning for 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

THFC wrote: »
    I'm sure there's one or two courses you can do, I definitely remember seeing one yesterday but the CAO has closed :confused:
    You're best chance of college (if you did indeed fail!) is if you find that course asap and send a letter to the CAO and say you sent it yesterday before 5.15, but I'm not sure if that'll work. It's worth a try though! I think you may have to repeat!!!

That won't work as it will be postmarked with today's date.

There are a few college courses that do not require maths but it is too late to change the CAO now. Try not to worry about the maths until August. You may well have passed and there's nothing you can do about it until then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

That won't work as it will be postmarked with today's date.

There are a few college courses that do not require maths but it is too late to change the CAO now. Try not to worry about the maths until August. You may well have passed and there's nothing you can do about it until then anyway.
    He could say he sent it around 5 after the last collection?? I dunno, I'm just trying to help him! I've been into the offices as well and the people in there are very nice, I'm sure if you called them and told them you sent it yesterday they'd change it over the phone for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You don't need to have passed maths to do Arts in UCD, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I know if you want to do Engineering in DCU/DIT/NUIG (and some more places) there's a special maths exam in August for people who failed maths or didn't get the HC3. It's probably no good to you but just thought I'd mention it if other people were worried. You just need to ring them up when you get your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

In UL you can also sit a special maths exam for entry. I don't know much about it (like if it only applies to certain courses, however I think it applies to everything), but there's plenty of info on the UL website if you go looking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ramsay

I feel I did excellent in my LC apart from maths, If I achieve a D3 or fail maths, Im going to start studying for the LC on the day I get my results.

No way am I settling for Arts in UCD too many students on the course.

If you fail you should repeat, project maths was devised to enhance the mathematics pass rate in the L.C. We will just have to see how it is.

Nobody I asked regrets repeating... One year of solid work is a better choice than settling for 4 years of an awful course leading to a dismal or no future.

I know if you want to do Engineering in DCU/DIT/NUIG (and some more places) there's a special maths exam in August for people who failed maths or didn't get the HC3. It's probably no good to you but just thought I'd mention it if other people were worried. You just need to ring them up when you get your results.

I dont understand how Colleges would give students who failed maths another chance to enroll in engineering. Its daft.

Its like offering a language test to students who want to study modern languages but failed french/spanish/german in their actual exam.

P.S. I have been sitebanned from Boards for constant abusiveness towards others, but I keep re-regging!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ramsay wrote: »
    I dont understand how Colleges would give students who failed maths another chance to enroll in engineering. Its daft.

Its like offering a language test to students who want to study modern languages but failed french/spanish/german in their actual exam.
    If they've worked hard the summer to improve their maths competitance to the required level, why not? They'll have clearly shown they're capable.

jumpguy wrote: »
    If they've worked hard the summer to improve their maths competitance to the required level, why not? They'll have clearly shown they're capable.

Yeah and I suggest you work on your English " Competence as well!

If they have failed maths in the LC the core subject for engineering, they have clearly not shown that they are capable.

P.S. I have been sitebanned from Boards for constant abusiveness towards others, but I keep re-regging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ramsay wrote: »
    Yeah and I suggest you work on your English " Competence as well!

If they have failed maths in the LC the core subject for engineering, they have clearly not shown that they are capable.

I suggest you work on your attitude and stop acting like an arsehole.

I think an exam set by the University they're trying to enter is a much more suitable test for what they'll face than the joke that is honours maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why is Higher Level maths a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I'm in the same boat as yourself OP. I know GMIT accept an E at higher level maths into their engineering courses but they are level 7's.
    UL and NUIG have a special maths exam you can take if you don't meet the requirements for science and engineering courses only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

AdamD wrote: »
    Why is Higher Level maths a joke?

A lot of it isn't relevant to real life calculations. Something like the honours Applied Maths course would make a lot more sense as it's relevant. AFAIK the Project Maths curriculum is more relevant to life which should hopefully change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I did project maths so dont know the other course too well

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Donegal09

The special math entrance exam looks great but i was talking to a lecturer in NUIG and they said that if you fail you cant get in , the math exam is only if you get less than the required C3 and still pass the exam (>40%). And also, take a look at the pass papers from the special entrance exam, doesn't look easy !! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Donegal09 wrote: »
    The special math entrance exam looks great but i was talking to a lecturer in NUIG and they said that if you fail you cant get in , the math exam is only if you get less than the required C3 and still pass the exam (>40%). And also, take a look at the pass papers from the special entrance exam, doesn't look easy !! :confused:

Well in UL you can fail honours maths and still take the maths exam so I presume it's the same in NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

RMD wrote: »
    A lot of it isn't relevant to real life calculations. Something like the honours Applied Maths course would make a lot more sense as it's relevant. AFAIK the Project Maths curriculum is more relevant to life which should hopefully change things.

Which parts aren't relevant to an engineering course? Please enlighten me.

And what are real life calculations? Basic addition and multiplication, percentages and the like? We have primary school arithmetic for that. Secondary school maths is a Mathematics course, not a calculations course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think IT Tallaght accept an E for their engineering course.

Advertisement