Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't get points 09 L.C went to college '10 Repeat '11..Advice on subjects to take??

Options
  • 16-06-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok so alot of people are out there doing there leaving cert for the first time and my advice to you is if you don't get the points first time round seriously SERIOUSLY consider repeating don't settle for second best honestly its not worth it in the long run...

Thats my advice to people now i need Repeaters help please?

I got 385 last year after not studying basically at all apart from morning of exams (4am starts lol) anyways I want to do Primary Teaching and always have and i really should have just repeated but now after starting a college course and passing both winter and summer exams I've decided I REALLY wanna do the teaching so now I'm back to square one and I am planning on repeating in Rathmines this coming september.

I really need help on deciding on what subjects to do?

I have been doing an engineering course , Got A's and B's in Maths and Physics in the semesters along with other physic based subjects and although I did not do Physics first time round I reckon I've covered nearly everything on L.C syllabus. Would Physics and Applied Maths be a good combination seen as I have successfully done these subjects in college and would I get the points out of them?

I am not very strong at english, I try fairly hard for the subject but don't really have a major flair for it, should i drop this and take up business instead?

I need to drop one of my subjects Construction Studies as its not provided by the repeat college so I presume Physics would be the one replacing it.

I done Biology in 2009 although I was getting high grades in class I only got a D2 so I'm not sure whether I should continue with this subject but I don't really have much of an option?

So my subjects I can take are:

English - got C2 but don't really have a flair for it so don't know if i should drop?
    Irish - need C3 or more for primary teaching and points should be doable got D1 last time with not quite enough study
    Maths - can Ace ordinary don't know whether honours would be too much and not worth it could replace with Applied Maths , What ya think?
    Applied Maths - Would be capable after doing Engineering first year
    Physics - Same as above
    Biology - Got D2 in 2009 dunno whether should drop or just work hard?
    Geography - Got B2 would hope to get A1/A2 if i repeated
    Business - Done in J.C but thats all but I work in office and would have plenty of experience in business dealings dunno if this would help but could work my ass for it if i needed to replace subject if not too hard to pick up?
    German - D2 but with crap teacher didn't hate it but just wasn't very good at it dunno if it would be different in repeat school?

Everyone I have spoken to thinks I would be capable of getting a much higher leaving cert but just dunno what combination of subjects would work best to maximize my points?

Help greatly appreciated...
    Thank you

By the way I missed practically all of 5th year and alot of 6th year because of being sick so this would have been an obvious reason why my L.C would be fairly low but I think if i was to repeat I could really bring up my points by a hell of a lot!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

English - depends can you do as well in your other options as that c2
    Irish - need C3 so no choice there
    Maths - look at honors papers before you make a decision
    Applied Maths - If you think you can, go for it
    Physics - as above
    Biology - could do well with work
    Geography - a must do
    Business - i hear its hell in a year but i wouldnt really know
    German - english sounds like a better option tbh

you need to lose at least two of those, 3 if your confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Do app maths. There's not much coursework, and it's well worth it. If Physics/ Maths is an aptitude, you should be fine. Also, consider doing chemistry. It's easy to pick up if you work at it, just keep doing questions, I picked it up late and I'm hoping confidently for an A1. Not business. It's ****ing murder. Insane amounts of inane, repetitive theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Business is a banker - did it in a year this year, and i reckon i got a B2, simple course, general knowledge for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    Business is a banker - did it in a year this year, and i reckon i got a B2, simple course, general knowledge for the most part

But the marking scheme is anything but fair?

Yeah OP, I see myself repeating. Have a course I want to do, but wasn't arsed working all year and know I'm capable for a lot more. See you here next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

KiB wrote: »
    after starting a college course and passing both winter and summer exams I've decided I REALLY wanna do the teaching so now I'm back to square one and I am planning on repeating in Rathmines this coming september.

Would it be quicker to finish your degree and do the post grad in primary teaching? Plus wouldn't you have to pay fees for doing first year in college again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Do business. I picked it up as an eighth subject and don't regret it at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP if you are doing well in your college course why don't you do a postgrad diploma in teaching? That way you will have something extra, and you won't feel like you've wasted 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DnBMoloney24

I'd defo go for business. Changed from DCG to Business towards the end of 5th year and was at the top of the class by the end of 6th. Just took the exam in the LC yday, easy money! :cool:

General knowledge and a decent memory is all you need for a good result! Enjoyable subject as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Garykelleher

If you are good at maths and physics i think applied maths is your obvious banker. If i were you i would replace biology with business. Although i had a very good teacher, we finished the whole course in 5th year (Not institute) and i probably could have gotten an A1 had i taken it last year. Tough paper but still got the A yesterday. You say your not good at english so try do 6 maths/business based subjects for high marks. I'm not linguistic but im doing business accounting economics applied maths and maths. A lot safer than your histories and englishes etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd keep English, no harm trying to improve, you say you don't have a flair for it but you are obviously capable. With a good bit of prep I'd say you'd be definitely looking at a B.

Also, business is a breeze. You can definitely do it in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 KiB

Thanks for all your responses...

I would continue on with my course only its a level 7 so to do it as a post grad i need to have a level 8 which is an additional 2 years on top of my remaining 2 years. Also after this 4 years of Engineering I wouldn't be guaranteed a place on the 18 month post grad as they seem to prefer people with more relative degrees (well from what I hear) so instead of taking this route (4 years then not guaranteed a place in 18 month course = 5.5 years if not more) or spend one year repeating and getting my place in primary teaching (with hard work and the right subjects its very likely) and spend 3 years in college = 4 years. So by repeating I save myself a year and a half and also do the course I want ... So I think repeating is certainly my best option.

Advertisement