Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about doing subject outside school

Options
  • 18-11-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am in 5th year now and will do my leaving cert in 2010
    I am big into technology but my school is not doing it
    Would it be possible for me to study it myself outside school and build the project myself for the leaving cert in 2010?

Comments

kieran--f wrote: »
    Would it be possible for me to study it myself outside school and build the project myself for the leaving cert in 2010?

I really doubt it. All of the subjects with a practical element must be done in school, because the practical part of it must be done under the supervision of a teacher to verify it as your work. So I doubt Technology would be an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

kieran--f wrote: »

VERY VERY VERY few schools offer Technology and I'd confidently say none offer it as a subject open to outside candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Easy subject since this is the very first year of it...
    Id say you could do it outside school if you wanted..Ring Department of Education

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

callaway92 wrote: »
    Id say you could do it outside school if you wanted..Ring Department of Education

Kinda distinct lack of the nessecary lab facilities if you were to attempt to do it without a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LiveMaths

Hi I am Applied Maths teacher based in Clare. Have you considered Applied Maths as this is a technical subject you can do outside of school? e.g. It covers forces, pulleys, speed, acceleration etc. If you like Maths this could be an option - percentage of honours and A's etc. is higher in Applied Maths than most other subjects

• Advertisement

LiveMaths wrote: »
    Hi I am Applied Maths teacher based in Clare. Have you considered Applied Maths as this is a technical subject you can do outside of school? e.g. It covers forces, pulleys, speed, acceleration etc. If you like Maths this could be an option - percentage of honours and A's etc. is higher in Applied Maths than most other subjects

I'd imagine the percentage of A's that are awarded in it are a result of the type of people who do it. Generally, people who do it, either have an ability/aptitude or an interest in doing it. I wouldn't just tell someone it has one of the highest A1 levels (which I know it has), because that gives the impression that it's a relatively easy subject. Which it isn't.

I agree to an extent - thats why I said in the post 'if you like Maths'. At a recent Applied Maths teachers meeting in Cork this very issue was discussed. i.e.students need to be encouraged to take Applied Maths as an alternative to Technology if Technology not available in their school as both subjects are ideal for students who are considering doing any kind of engineering. Also there is a misconception you have to be very good at Maths - obviously you do if the student is going for an A1 - its all relative - an A or B in pass could be just as useful if the student is interested in engineering as they will have to do Applied Maths in first year and will have a head start

LiveMaths wrote: »
    I agree to an extent - thats why I said in the post 'if you like Maths'. At a recent Applied Maths teachers meeting in Cork this very issue was discussed. i.e.students need to be encouraged to take Applied Maths as an alternative to Technology if Technology as both subjects are ideal for students who are considering doing any kind of engineering. Also there is a misconception you have to be very good at Maths - obviously you do if the student is going for an A1 - its all relative - an A or B in pass could be just as useful if the student is interested in engineering as they will have to do Applied Maths in first year and will have a head start

Yah I agree with you, try get as many to do it as possible because it is a great subject.

I was just looking at your website there, looks like a good idea for a grinds website. Best of luck with it.

Thanks. Also I give a 'health warning' on the website that if you are taking on an extra subject you should get advice from your career guidance teacher first to make sure you are able for it - my hunch from reading his message is that kieran--f is big into Technology though which means he prob going for an A - might not be as big into Maths in which case Applied Maths might not then be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

callaway92 wrote: »

Is it though? My mates started Technology in 1st year in 2002...

Or do you mean first year for the LC cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kieran, what about asking the Department?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for you to homeschool on one subject. Lots and lots of people around the world are homeschooled. I recently met an American band who'd been travelling since their kids were aged eight to 15, and they were all homeschooled, and doing very well.

If you got into some of the homeschooling networks, you could probably get good help on the subjects covered by the technology module.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there is a project element, a teacher needs to sign off on the project - signing a legal document attesting the work in the project is the candidate's work and theirs alone.

I'm not a technology teacher, but I certainly would not sign off on a homeschool student for that.

Advertisement