Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

TimMac wrote: »
    our river opened on the 15th of February Bayliner
    ah right, they dont open here till 1st of march, thought it was nationwide rule... my bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

No problem I kinda wish it was the 1st of March, the arm is falling off me already:D
    bayliner wrote: »
    ah right, they dont open here till 1st of march, thought it was nationwide rule... my bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

was that tolka river doc???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Hi, no it's a lovely little river called the Nanny which runs from Duleek to Laytown. the lads in the angling club work very hard to constantly improve the fishing conditions and to involve juveniles in competitions which is why its so annoying to see local people using roads and fields around the river as a dump.

if a landowner complains to the county council there is a procedure whereby the rubbish can be searched for an address but that's not going to happen.

so the only thing is to be vigilent and keep a zero tolerance policy towards the very few who are doing so much damage. it's tiresome. i have a number of phone numbers stored and intend on making a nuisance of myself if i catch any more behaviour that is detrimental to the fishing.

btw i'm not attacking any group of people in particular. it really only takes one asshole who doesnt want to pay his bin charges to destroy the place.

anyway, enough whinging for me. going out again this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

ahh sounds like a nice little river, best of luck with the fishing up there guy:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Beginning of Rant....

Just back from a most torturous day on Loughaderra outside Cork. Was out with my father.

This is an Inland fisheries Ireland managed lake. There is a massive algae bloom on the water so it goes from pea soup colour to down right thick impenetrable green muck. At times the boat slowed down on the drift as it encountered these massive floating rafts of algae. And of course every half a dozen casts required the cleaning of the flies.

Other anglers we spoke to gave the same opinion as ourselves - do not waste your money! So any southern boardies that may be venturing there for a cast dont bother. Keep your bobs in your pocket and flies in there box.

Disgraceful. :mad:

/rant :)

Nice rant Seafields, thanks for the info.:D
    whereabouts is this place in cork?

TimMac wrote: »
    Nice rant Seafields, thanks for the info.:D
    whereabouts is this place in cork?

Here it is

isn't it early in the year for algae? is it caused by pollution?

algae is usually a summer thing when temperatures are high...we see a fair bit of it on lough ree in the summer time,

• Advertisement

It is both eary and greatly added to by pollution. I suppose its early in the normal setting but this lake is surrounded by agricultural land so i suppose nitrates could be a factor.

I have a rash on my hand today. :mad: Wont be back to that lake in a hurry.

this county council seem very proud of Loughaderra so if you want to kick up a ****storm i recommend emailing them. there are a few other public media groups mentioned on this page too that might be interested in investigating your claim.
    http://www.ballintotis.com/loughaderra.html

this county council seem very proud of Loughaderra so if you want to kick up a ****storm i recommend emailing them. there are a few other public media groups mentioned on this page too that might be interested in investigating your claim.
    http://www.ballintotis.com/loughaderra.html

I emailed the local fisheries board yesterday with the complaint. Another angler yesterday swore he was going to ring them as soon as he got home.

That's all I'm going to do aside from not spending another cent on the place and letting every angler I know of the problem as well.

i think i've located the source of the problem. the lake is cursed.

The Wood that Vanished
    The area where the lake is now located was once covered by a dense, dark oak wood. It was part of the estate of an Elizabethan Seneschal of Imokilly who resided in, and ruled from the Castle of Castlemartyr nearby.

On one occasion after a Geraldine incursion the Seneschal, suspecting local co-operation with the invaders, collected a large number of residents in the immediate locality and, after a hasty and summary star chamber accusation pronounced all guilty. Not one of the accused persons was ever after seen alive or dead, and the grim details of a mass execution in the deep, dark oak-wood eventually became known. From that day the place was regarded as cursed, and within a year blight robbed the oaks of growth and leaf. Then during a winter night of howling, withering storm, devastation fell on Loughaderra, and when the daylight came no trace of tree or wood remained - only a wide expanse of gurgling, angry waters covering the place where they grew. Old inhabitants will tell you today that for long years after the naked treetops could still be seen on clear days far down in the lake's depths.

Jesus Christ I'm never going fishing there again! :eek:

Actually I was out a few years back fishing a pool at about 1am on a summers night. Supposedly this pool is haunted by a family - mother and kids - that lived beside it and were washed away in a flash flood decades ago. None of the locals will fish it after dark. I was happily casting away when I heard a little girl laugh on the opposite bank. I know, I know, perfectly logical explanation possible (sound travelling in water, etc.) but fcuk me did I run! :eek:

SeaFields wrote: »

Actually I was out a few years back fishing a pool at about 1am on a summers night. Supposedly this pool is haunted by a family - mother and kids - that lived beside it and were washed away in a flash flood decades ago. None of the locals will fish it after dark. I was happily casting away when I heard a little girl laugh on the opposite bank. I know, I know, perfectly logical explanation possible (sound travelling in water, etc.) but fcuk me did I run! :eek:
    :D:D:D at 1am in the morning THAT IS WEIRD THOUGH!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

It was a 20lb trout laughing away to himself while he's ignoring your artificial flys :rolleyes:
    Ah no, what trout could resist your remarkable presentation! ;)

I'm a slow learner but Paul Young's fishing programmes are marvellous.
    If you get a chance try to catch this episode in Patagonia. From about 9 minutes in there's some of the most amazing and dangerous fishing i've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wryIxNfb7Jo

towards the end he catches a 22 pound seatrout and he enjoys every moment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I'm a slow learner but Paul Young's fishing programmes are marvellous.
    If you get a chance try to catch this episode in Patagonia. From about 9 minutes in there's some of the most amazing and dangerous fishing i've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wryIxNfb7Jo

towards the end he catches a 22 pound seatrout and he enjoys every moment of it.

ive seen it a few times, great episode, i like him when he is doing that stuff he is good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

/ Off topic :pac:

Just to anyone who is hating flyfishing and thinking of burning the rod !
    I started on the fly fishing after i went to the national angling show there about 2 months ago and picked up a cheap rod reel and all the gear etc.
    My friend had been teaching me everything ! And i couldnt get the hang of it or anything right lost flies everytime i went ( only went 3 times but still )
    never understood the knots , had never caught a trout before even spinning .
    And after 3 good long days ( about 14 hours ) of flyfishing and catching nothing after all the hours i spent learning everything , i couldnt catch i was so enoyed and seriously thought flyfishing was just too much for me .

So a few of us decided to go to castlecoote we do usually go there but my friend and another were flyfishing they caught 3 trout between them small but still beautiful as ever , I myself had been spinning and caught nothing and decided that i would go the next day with only my fly rod .
    Arrived there set up the rod my friend had heard about the march brown and as he caught on it the last day i bought one and was all ready , after my first few casts a tiny little brownie decided to take my fly :eek: i honestly cant explain the feeling of it :D I jumped and reeled him in , the poor fella was only the size of my palm , i quick picture and a big smile and he was back on his way hopefully to be caught again !

So just to anyone who really is hating it as i was even though i was a little bit more lucky to have a caught so soon , but just stick with it and have someone you can ask a billion questions with you and eventually you will get the right fly the right cast and get that fish ! ;)

going to Achill on the first week of May for a stag, so think i'll pack the sea and river gear and make my excuses for half the time!

sea=fished off achill a few times! 1st trip was good , heading for ree in the morning!!!!

I see the found the bodies of those too lads tonight that went missing while out fishing. RIP.

FFS lads, wear life-jackets, let people know when you are coming back, don't go out alone, have a radio, etc. etc. If you don't know these simple rules you shouldn't be going out anyway.

*I am not at all attributing any blame whatsoever to the two deceased fishermen. Just try to do everything ye can to avoid becoming another drowning victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

As far as I know they were wearing life jackets and were pulled over by their fishing gear which might have got tangled, thats how they drowned just a terrible accident. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got a 6 grand trout in Lough Aishling last night, best was just over 3lb. All were really good fighting fish too in great condition. I also had a first...caught a Rudd on the fly. He took a buzzer.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Got a 6 grand trout in Lough Aishling last night, best was just over 3lb. All were really good fighting fish too in great condition. I also had a first...caught a Rudd on the fly. He took a buzzer.
    :)good fish!!! had a blank last friday on ree:rolleyes:.... 1st blank this season!
    flat calm and scorching hot so elements were against me! nice day out though:D

Just back from a lovely evening fly fishing with my brother. He's recently bought a house with his better half and there is a lovely little trout river running through the village. He always had an interest in fishing.

He had spent many fruitless evenings there this year already. I think he just needed someone who knew what they were at to guide him along. With no such person available I headed down the river with him this evening. I left my own gear at home and walked the bank watching him a roaring instructions.

One hour later he had landed 5 trout and missed 20 odd more. :) Delighted for him. He is going for a cast again tomorrow evening with his new found knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Was out in Maynooth today caught 5 all on a buzzer if I remember Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

3 days in the fu8**nG Liffey and still nothing .

I swear I think the trout are rising only to get a giggle at me

Lighter fluid at the ready. Rod burning immanent

ree again in the morning,:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Was out in Maynooth today caught 5 all on a buzzer if I remember Correct.
    What type of buzzer did you catch on? I take it you are talking about the
    lake

Not too sure mate but i think it was a poxy buzzer :)

good friday wasnt so good:rolleyes:. one small trout, back up again in 9hrs or so, bringing the kids better bring the easter eggs:), the fishing has been poor of late

Just back from a lovely evening fly fishing with my brother.
    ......He is going for a cast again tomorrow evening with his new found knowledge.

My brother just texted me. He got up early this morning, hit the river again and had a 3/4lb trout. He's over the moon.

2 trout 3 perch yesterday, 14oz perch and trout 1lb 11oz were the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Desailly

Fished Curragh Springs for the first time yesterday. Nice fishery with some great fighting trout. Finished with fourteen trout, caught mainly on buzzers, but also on dries. Average size was about 3-4 pound, but when we were leaving I seen a lad catch one in the 8-10 pound bracket.

:D
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    :D:D:D:rolleyes:what a plank!!!

Have taken the weekend off work so there's going to be a few days solid fishing to be had :D

ree again tomorrow:)... mayfly are beginning to hatch now, seen a few on sunday and got some reports of more sightings monday!

• Advertisement

2 days solid fishing so far in the glorious sunshine....

Got a few pollock on a rock hopping session yesterday. Tide was all wrong for me but still managed a 3 pounder.

Stockie bashing today. Couldnt have asked for worse conditions. Sunshine, zero wind. Still tho have three trout in the fridge, all about a pound.

And on top of it all, i'm a fair bit more tanned after two days in the sun! :cool:

[IMG]http://jpeg image[/IMG]1 trout today on ree... 3lb 13oz...best so far this season:D[IMG]http://jpeg image[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Had my first bass today.Woohoo a beautiful 6 lber.

Bollocks!!

Threw the fishing jacket in the wash awhile ago. Just figured I didnt empty if completely. My most important fly box is being washed as I type. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Bollocks!!

Threw the fishing jacket in the wash awhile ago. Just figured I didnt empty if completely. My most important fly box is being washed as I type. :(

Dislike:( Not waterproof then I take it? Hopefully wont be much damage done if the wash wasn't 2 hot

Chuileog wrote: »
    Dislike:( Not waterproof then I take it? Hopefully wont be much damage done if the wash wasn't 2 hot

didn't do much damage. I took them out of the washing machine and put them on a sunny windowsill and they were fine. Dried out in no time. Lucky! They actually accounted for a few trout this evening and 7 dace. Prob gives a hint as to where I was fishing. Haven't caught one of them in years!

Does it start with B & end in lackwater !!! :D
    didn't do much damage. I took them out of the washing machine and put them on a sunny windowsill and they were fine. Dried out in no time. Lucky! They actually accounted for a few trout this evening and 7 dace. Prob gives a hint as to where I was fishing. Haven't caught one of them in years!

The fishery in Maynooth are closing the fly lake and turning it into a coarse/match lake. I'm seriously going to miss that place, caught some lovely fish there. :(

Is there not a coarse lake there already up the top end as your coming down the Old Dunboyne Road?

• Advertisement

Thats the Carp lake, there's a bait lake there too and the fly lake is now going to be for Match fishing, full of all sorts.

Advertisement