Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridge two houses

Options
  • 14-04-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I live about 600 metres from my mother, the only thing between us is a house the opposite side of the road in my estate.

She has fibre from Vodafone and its syncing at 90/20. What speed would be possible and would it be ok for gaming on ps4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With a P2P 5Ghz link you'd be able to game no problem. But you need line of sight. Any chance of erecting two small poles on your chimneys to get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem, roughly how much would it cost for the gear, I have a to link WDR3600. Could I use that still?

I live on the edge of an army camp, is there any reason I would have to notify them or get permission etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5Ghz is unlicensed, can do whatever you like. The PDF lads beside you will be on restricted bands, wont have any overlap with what you'd use.

EDIT: Oh yeah you're talking €200+ for the kit, look at Ubiquiti stuff. You can keep the WNDR3600 and the router at the other end can be left as is. You'd need to configure yours as an AP or to use a different subnet.

Don't think I have a perfect LOS but a neighbour across the road would let me put something on her roof. Can you recccomend something to use cod I literally haven't a clue what I'm looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

guil wrote: »
    Don't think I have a perfect LOS but a neighbour across the road would let me put something on her roof. Can you recccomend something to use cod I literally haven't a clue what I'm looking at?

That makes it much more difficult, you are now bridging three house. You need two sets then or an omni on her house. You willing to spend 350-400 quid to do it right?

• Advertisement

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Get two http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-PBE-M5-400-PowerBeam-Router/dp/B00HXT8JTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429134203&sr=8-1&keywords=powerbeam+m5+400 and set one to AP and one to station and you should be done, at 600m you probably won't need clear LOS but only way to know is test.

Thanks, those seem perfect.

I have set these up in many places, rock solid, just insure that you use outdoor shielded cat5e.

There is a distributor in Bray, not sure if they sell to public, as buying of Amazon with sterling these days is painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Be careful of 5ghz with non line of sight, a few hundred metres yes but 600m without clear line of sight will not be possible with a Nanostation. You'll have to go high each side to find LOS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement