Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards GS - 21 March - Naas Golf Club

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I felt it must have been one of your best ever, Barna. Not your home course etc.

Must have only had 2 bad holes - 4 and 12.

Fair play - great focus and competitiveness.

leaving 17 - "Hope you enjoyed honour" - (lol)

Fair play Seve - you beat a great round of golf in that one - nice to hear about yours ? - as I said to you before , you can do anything as well as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Barnaboy wrote: »
    went back to the teebox and almost holed the reload

Enjoyed seeing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Fair play Seve - you beat a great round of golf in that one - nice to hear about yours ? - as I said to you before , you can do anything as well as anyone.

Cheers Fix, well the head is nearly back to normal now, so I'll skip the work for a few minutes and write you up a report.

I guess I did pretty much do everything as well as anyone the other day! Some days it just comes together and for first time since probably September, I not only broke 30 points, but I smashed it! All be it off my boards handicap with an extra couple of shots, but even still, I hit some of the best golf shots I've ever played on Saturday. I knew it was coming, I could feel it, but just couldn't pull it all together, so needless to say I was delighted.

Started a tough week, I don't get to see my cousin (we are more like brothers) that often as he lives in London and the last 2 weekends spent with him were poles apart from each other. Saturday was a celebration for his Stag party in Cork, but the previous week he was home unexpectedly as our Nana quite literally dropped dead, very unexpectedly. She was more like a mother to us than a Granny, we have a small but close family, so it's still quite raw. While she was a ripe aul 88, she was in tip top healthy condition so it was a massive shock. It was nice to just get a game of golf after a busy head busting week, maybe it was written :)

I think I may have hit 5 bad shots on Saturday, but got away with 4 of them, so when it's your day :rolleyes: ..... Golf was pretty solid, hitting fairways... or just off them really makes a difference when you don't have to hack out!! Of course having placing made a difference to the game aswell. There was nothing to special about my game except my recovery from the bad shots. I had no birdies, but 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double. If you know me, you know I carry my bag, but recently dug out my old electric trolley for a round when I wasn't quite fully recovered from the flu, so I stuck with it for Saturday. It really made a difference, and defiantly contributed to my good game. I do prefer to carry, but the weight on the shoulders does not help the swing.

First bad one was on 5, in the trees down the left, had no shot at all, except a hack out behind me... so I took a lob wedge and tried to find a gap that just wasn't there.... duly hit a tree and ball rebounded 2 meters behind me! Same again, but this time ball found a branch which deflected it to the fairway and my fourth was almost perfect to about 12 foot above the hole. Stupid me though didn't ask Golfgraffix to move his marker and as my ball was heading for an unlikely 2 points in the centre of the cup it hit his 2 Euro coin to knock it off line and miss by a centimetre or so! I would have been mad if I lost by a point! It was my only 1 pointer, and after my third shot I was looking at a scratch, so it was nice to keep them from my card.

The 9th was a short tight hole, so I opted for a safe 3 iron from the tee and hit an awful short well right, but there was room out there and I hit a cracking 7 iron to about 8 foot. On the 13th I was back on form and hit my usual terrible sliced drive, heading for the 15th green, but it hit a tree which knocked it back into the open and I then flushed a 3 wood to leave me a short wedge to the green. The 15th saw another slice to leave me buried in the trees on the wrong side of them but no option to even go up the 13th fairway, so I went for a tiny gap, maybe 20 foot ahead of me and no more than a meter or so wide and from the ground. My knock down 3 iron had to be perfect and it was, I nailed it and she travelled the guts of 200 yards up the fairway, I can never pull those off, so for me, it was a shot in a million and ranks up there as one of my best ever. On the 16th I drove into the trees on the left, but found a bit of space and was able to get full swing and used the lob wedge to get myself over the trees and back in play. Another perfect lob wedge left me about 6 foot, which I left on the lip! One of maybe 5 putts that could have as easily dropped for me on Saturday but stayed out, so 42 should have been 43, and could have easily been so much more.

It was a long time since I played Naas, so much so I remembered very little of the place, but lads, what a golf course :D. She is a hidden gem, in lovely condition and we were spoiled with some great weather. Thanks to Golfgraffix, 3putt & Paulos for the game. Paulos had a solid game going, but I didn't realise we were neck and neck going down 16 till Golfgraffix said it to me, I thought I was a few ahead, but thinking back, he held some monsterous putts to keep it tight. Well done to all the winners, and I'll get cracking on the full results this evening.

Class Seve.

Was it more like this so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Just a quick message to say a massive thanks to Seve and anyone else who helped organize the day - only my fourth boards outing but trend continued of sound playing partners and an interesting and enjoyable course.

Had never heard from anyone playing Naas before and was impressed with the course, all holes self contained and having individual character - some very tough greens and pin positions, must be very tough in the heights of the summer.

Special thanks to space, pistolpete and Shane84 for a very enjoyable round - a mixed bag from all of us it's fair to say. Played well on the front 9 and was then fighting to keep the wheels on - in all honestly it was just fun to actually being able to compete again after a torrid 18 months of form. Oh, and anyone thinking about a new driver - have to seriously consider the G30, still in the honeymoon period but think I only missed 2/3 fairways - very impressed so far.

• Advertisement

Class Seve.

Was it more like this so.

haha

more like this, except i had much more trees to go through,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Smashing day on Saturday ,

Course is a personal favourite of mine ,

Great day with space coyote,bigchap1759 and Shane 84 ,

Played some of my best golf Tee to Green and then couldn't sink them , but that in my mind is down to not playing enough and the excellent speed on the greens , just found it hard to get the correct weight on my putting.

The highlight of the day for me was watching bigchap smash absolute monsters down each and every fairway ! some massive hits , 90 yards ahead of me sometimes , Im not the biggest hitter with the driver as I can't hit a full swing but the distance was amazing from him ,

Emmet was steady most of the round and his putting was excellent to watch ,
    Shane arguably had the shot of the day on 18 after hooking his second over to the 1st fairway , his approach for the bird was a beauty .

My best hole was 11 , but that damed putter wouldn't give me the bird or the par , but I was chuffed with how I drove and my approach .

Looking forward to the next one now

Any results.

Ladies & Gents, here are the full results. There were 8 lads who got two's, so a grand sum of €8.75 each. :D I'll have it for you at next outing, and there were a few lads who I owe some change to, so please make it know at Tullamore and I will have it for you.

16722947758_5ce16a3909_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I picked the good doctor out of the hat and tiger shot out of his chair to claim the ball marker :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 whosyourcaddy

First chance I've had to post since Saturday. Firstly thanks to seve for all his hard work, your running a tight ship, congratulations on your win also ☺ thanks to benny79, sofireland and recycled for the company. We all had our game working well at different stages unfortunately we couldn't keep the consistency for the 18 holes. Personally, I massively struggled with the putter I just couldn't seem to put the bloody thing in the hole, was reasonably happy with the rest of my round. Unfortunately I can't make the next outing but I'm looking forward to Dundrum already. ☺

Advertisement