Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay

• 20-02-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Playing this next Saturday, just wondering what people's thoughts are on it and if they have any tips for a high handicapper, Looking forward to playing it Regardless of how my scoring is, but I imagine it will be a serious challenge especially if the wind is blowing.

We are teeing off at 9:15am, will be travelling down that morning, presuming we will have to be on the road for at least half 6?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played it twice in September, great course, long par 5 opener, straight back with a shortish par 4, then another par 4, then a bit links style for a few, before coming back internal to the course layout for a par 3 with full carry over water.
    Some water protected green followed by the final stretch of holes which revert back to links style and another long par 4 with larger bunkers to finish.
    Our outing there was won with 34 points and it's usually a 40 to win so that will tell a tale, secret is to keep in play and avoid some of the deep bunkers, some of the greens are huge so expect some 3 putts.
    You have something to look forward to, good luck!

Here's a shot of 18 from one of those mad bunkers...
    102ujgk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

I'm afraid i am not in a position to give you any tips as I have never played it before. You should get pro tip for each hole on their website

Just out of interest how much is it costing you as I am looking to play there myself some stage this year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Sean_pop wrote: »
    I'm afraid i am not in a position to give you any tips as I have never played it before. You should get pro tip for each hole on their website

Just out of interest how much is it costing you as I am looking to play there myself some stage this year??

Yeh, ah im not too worried about exactly how to play it, was just more looking to get people's opinions on it as Ive heard good things about it and its been on my list to play for a while.

We got a round of golf and a nights accommodation in galway (oranmore) for €70 pps which we thought was a great deal. Details about the deal are here..

http://www.golf.discoverireland.ie/Special-Offers-and-Golf-Passes/Golf-Plus-Offers-(1)

When I rang up they didnt know too much about it, I had to send the proshop the link above as he had no record of it, but once they got it they arranged everything, couldnt have been nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

These may help. Galway Bay Photos

And yes, the greens are big and the bunkers deep. Keep the ball low if you can

Cheers Kevin,

Stunning photos as always, Cant wait now, its going to be a looong week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have played it a couple of times and it is fairly open not many places to loose golf balls, it is longish so play off the forward tees. Super course.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Most of the long grass off the fairways cut at the moment. Few green side bunkers out of play including 17th which are a nightmare, doing some work on them. Greens are rolling great at the moment. Just hope it ain't too windy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

allybhoy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Playing this next Saturday, just wondering what people's thoughts are on it and if they have any tips for a high handicapper, Looking forward to playing it Regardless of how my scoring is, but I imagine it will be a serious challenge especially if the wind is blowing.

We are teeing off at 9:15am, will be travelling down that morning, presuming we will have to be on the road for at least half 6?

Look at the trees in Kevin's pictures to see what the Galway bay winds are like. It's a very good course but very tough when the wind comes off the bay. The scenery is great and if you get it on a dry day, you'll enjoy it. My tip would be to pick a line off the tee that allows for the wind. There's lots of gorse bushes that'll swallow balls.

It's about 2 hours 15 from the m50, take the oranmore turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Nice course. One of those courses that looks better than the brochures. My advice is enjoy it and don't get too worried about the score.
    p.s. If it was me I would be leaving Dublin at 6am. For the sake of 1/2 hour would be more relaxed. Maybe others would know better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

flugel wrote: »
    Greens are rolling great at the moment.

Believe me, hit 9 greens in reg last Saturday, of those 9 had 5 three putts, each time running the ball a mile by on the first putt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

One of the finest tracks in Galway IMO.

I played it more than a few times last year and it was always in beautiful condition. The greens are especially nice. It's a tough course though and you're guaranteed some wind even on the nicest of days as parts of it are very exposed. I always enjoy playing there, it's challenging but a good test and they're a very friendly bunch out there.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Great photos as always Kevin, although slightly tainted by the clumsy (perhaps intentional?) placement of your Logo in the right middle of the photos, I'd suggest any one of the corners would be more suitable, my preference been top left or right corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Great photos as always Kevin, although slightly tainted by the clumsy (perhaps intentional?) placement of your Logo in the right middle of the photos, I'd suggest any one of the corners would be more suitable, my preference been top left or right corner.

All photographers do this to combat their work being stolen / used without credit. Corners no good as photo can be cropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Road surface in avenue up to course very slippery when wet.

Do not play off back tees.

Pray its not windy. If it is pay attention to wind direction

Use practice putting green. It will give you good idea of how tricky the greens can be.

Distance markers in yards I think.

1. Short par five. Drive safer left. Green very well protected by bunkers.

2. Par 4. Extra club into elevated green.

3. Par 4. Plenty of room on left for drive. Extra club to elevated green hitting off a down hill lie, yes down hill to up hill.

4. Par 3. One less club to down hill green.

5. Tough par 4. Avoid ob on right at all costs.

6. Short par 5. Fairway runs down to water on left on second shot so stay right.

7. Par 3 over water. Play extra club to back if green for high HC.

8. Long par 4. Keep drive left. Long second shot up hill. Take extra club.

9. Par 4.

10. Par 4 slight dog leg to right.

11. Crazy dog leg left. Beware of run off to water on right for second shot.

12. Beast of a par four. Hit over bunkers in right if you are a big hitter. Otherwise play fairway and don't be afraid to lay up on second shot.

13. Par 3 over water. Extra club to hack of green again for high HC.

14. Par 5. Hit drive straight and don't try to get to clever with shoreline on left. Aim second shout over right edge of mound.

15. Long par 3. Keep left.

16. Par 5. Avoid OB on right.

17. Par 4. Hit ball into grounds on right where I work so I can find it next week and add it to my collection :)

18. Tough par 4. Good chance you will be a tired bunny at this point.

Most important tip. Look around and take a deep breath and enjoy being out there and being alive.

Yep, as Cairny says, it's too easy to crop the photo unless it's in a very prominent place. I hate doing it, but I've seen my un-copyrighted (and cropped) photos on numerous websites with no credit (or payment for that matter) attributed. I have a blog in my drafts folder about a guy who took all of my Mount Juliet shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I have a blog in my drafts folder about a guy who took all of my Mount Juliet shots.

How did that end up? Not sure if I ever got back to you but my contacts had never heard of him.

I would name and shame.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Yep, as Cairny says, it's too easy to crop the photo unless it's in a very prominent place. I hate doing it, but I've seen my un-copyrighted (and cropped) photos on numerous websites with no credit (or payment for that matter) attributed. I have a blog in my drafts folder about a guy who took all of my Mount Juliet shots.

Super photgraphs, as a matter of a query, would the copyright to the photos not belong in essence to the club, or can anyone take any photo of any course and publish it with copyright?? Sorry just another query, do you have to pay any sort of a royalty or give an acknowledgment to the course,??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

My home club. Good test in windy conditions alright and greens are good at the moment. As others have said work is on going but only on 2 holes where bunkers are out of play 1&17. All rough has been cut back too just to speed up play during winter. Enjoy it and don't forget to report back.

How did that end up? Not sure if I ever got back to you but my contacts had never heard of him.

I would name and shame.

J

Been meaning to get back to you on that, J,
    I'll get the blog up soon enough.
    An interesting coincidence as he lives in California... and has no idea that my sister lives 5 miles down the road from his office.

Super photgraphs, as a matter of a query, would the copyright to the photos not belong in essence to the club, or can anyone take any photo of any course and publish it with copyright?? Sorry just another query, do you have to pay any sort of a royalty or give an acknowledgment to the course,??.

Copyright remains with the photographer - unless specified in the photography release form - so a club can use my shots for whatever marketing purposes they want, but they're not supposed to sell them to a 3rd party.

You can always take a photograph and put copyright on it. That's your right. If you're out playing a round of golf there's nothing to stop you taking a photograph and I think most clubs would see the benefit of you putting those photographs on websites/social media etc... unless of course you're deliberately trying to show a course's poor practices (e.g. terrible bunkers). I certainly am not aware of anything within the green fee 'contract' that stops you from doing so.

That said, if I contact a club and ask if I can take photographs, some clubs ask what the photographs are for. As they're for my blog/social media sites there's never been a problem and only 2 clubs have stressed that I not sell them (should the opportunity arise).

I am aware that as I am starting to do this and get paid for golf course photography (as at Galway Bay), this may be an issue that arises in the future. For instance, I took a photograph of Adare's 18th a few weeks back, for the new edition of Hooked. I have subsequently been approached by someone who wants to buy a print. It's 'my' photograph and the club gave me permission to take it... so is there an issue selling it or not? The answer is, I don't know. I'm no Evan Schiller or Aidan Bradley, so I don't think it's a problem that's going to arise too often.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering about the situation when I read this piece.

I would have thought that you would have had to ask permission to take any photgraphs but you would seem to say not.

Interesting point if for arguments sake say that you managed to get a camera into Augusta, took a photo and put it up any where or tried to sell it, would the likes of them not have the course and it's views etc copyrighted to themselves and try to take an action, or is that course different to every other in this regard.

Similar point to taking photos. a few years ago, there were guys going around seeking permission to measure golf courses for use with dmds that were coming onto the market, what would be the position if using google maps or satelite photography, that they published the yardages and distances without seeking the permission of the club.

Thanks for the input though I find it very interesting..

I would have thought that you would have had to ask permission to take any photgraphs but you would seem to say not.

Interesting point if for arguments sake say that you managed to get a camera into Augusta, took a photo and put it up any where or tried to sell it, would the likes of them not have the course and it's views etc copyrighted to themselves and try to take an action, or is that course different to every other in this regard.

Similar point to taking photos. a few years ago, there were guys going around seeking permission to measure golf courses for use with dmds that were coming onto the market, what would be the position if using google maps or satelite photography, that they published the yardages and distances without seeking the permission of the club.

If I'm not playing the course, I always ask for permission. Some courses will/may turn you down for insurance reasons, but I'm surprised that I have encountered that reasoning only once. Typically you're not going to get a great shot (one worth selling anyway) unless you take the time and effort - and golf is slow enough already!

The Augusta question is an interesting one. And the answer is: I don't know. I had my camera out when I was up at Royal County Down (with permission from the GM) as I was taking shots of the three new holes, but I took some shots of the Annesley course as I was en route... I was spotted and questioned pretty quickly, so yes, I suspect that the big courses are very protective of their property.

In terms of the yardages/Google Maps, again, I have no idea, but I just don't see a way to stop the satellite approach... do you have a rationale why courses might want to stop this?

Again, thanks for the reply.

The reason I mention the satelite bit, is that up until these dmd yolks came into being, most clubs would have produced their own little strokesavers, which again was an added source of income however small to a club.

These were nice little collectors items in my opinion and gave most players the amount of information they need to play a hole.

With the satelite thing in the early days a lad would come to measure the course having sought permission and he got paid a few bob from whoever was selling the dmd. Then the people who sell the apps come on board and they make money off of the venture by either building in a charge for the yolk or players paying to download a course.

Now it seems to me that some companies are making money out of clubs on a large scale around the world without the clubs benefiting. Although some might argue that they benefit by people playing the course because it has been mapped.

However I have never met a player who has said that I am not going to play a particular course because it is not mapped.

I suppose I would have been fairly neutral on these views, until I spent a lazy afternoons golfing and chatting with a fellow from the midlands and we got to talking about how things have and are changing.

Just a quick update to anyone interested...

Left good and early on Saturday morning. We left just after 6 so we wouldnt be rushing down and could grab breakfast before we tee'd off. Weather wasnt too bad when we were leaving but slowly deteriorated the closer we got to Galway.

Hit the practise greens for a few putts beforehand but there was a marshall nearby who advised us to tee off as soon as we could as there was a bit of traffic coming behind us and we might get stuck so we were a bit rushed teeing off but glad to get out in clear traffic. The marshalling on the course was superb by the way, always seemed to be a marshall on the course checking on the speed of play.

About the track, Its a stunning course, a true test of your golf game, Especially when the wind is blowing hard which it was. Id imagine on a calm day its a different course entirely as the holes that we found tough when compared to the index were completely different. Personally I found it tricky to get the speed and run of the greens right, left a lot of putts out there but that was my fault, my playing partner coped much better with them. The weather was getting worse the longer we played and the last 4 holes were a real struggle, the drive combined with the wind had us shattered but overall we thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely play it again, hopefully on a sunny day.

If I had any criticism at all it would be that there were a serious amount of un-repaired divots on the fairways not sure if this was caused by members or guests but was very disheartening to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

allybhoy wrote: »
    Just a quick update to anyone interested...

Left good and early on Saturday morning. We left just after 6 so we wouldnt be rushing down and could grab breakfast before we tee'd off. Weather wasnt too bad when we were leaving but slowly deteriorated the closer we got to Galway.

Hit the practise greens for a few putts beforehand but there was a marshall nearby who advised us to tee off as soon as we could as there was a bit of traffic coming behind us and we might get stuck so we were a bit rushed teeing off but glad to get out in clear traffic. The marshalling on the course was superb by the way, always seemed to be a marshall on the course checking on the speed of play.

About the track, Its a stunning course, a true test of your golf game, Especially when the wind is blowing hard which it was. Id imagine on a calm day its a different course entirely as the holes that we found tough when compared to the index were completely different. Personally I found it tricky to get the speed and run of the greens right, left a lot of putts out there but that was my fault, my playing partner coped much better with them. The weather was getting worse the longer we played and the last 4 holes were a real struggle, the drive combined with the wind had us shattered but overall we thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely play it again, hopefully on a sunny day.

If I had any criticism at all it would be that there were a serious amount of un-repaired divots on the fairways not sure if this was caused by members or guests but was very disheartening to see.

It's the birds they flip over divot to get at the soil under it or so we were told, same problem in my home club they are filled in once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Bump, looking to play here the bank holiday weekend coming up. Anyone been out playing here recently? What sort of condition is it in? Is it worth the trip fro Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

mike12 wrote: »
    It's the birds they flip over divot to get at the soil under it or so we were told, same problem in my home club they are filled in once a month.

"Feckin crows, Ted"

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sloggert

Well worth the trip, course & greens are in superb condition. Golf digest are there next sunday I believe

I played there two weeks ago and it was in excellent condition, well worth a trip from Limerick as far as I'm concerned. The weather has been good recently and the Golf Digest is there this Sunday so I can only assume it's in super condition now.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Nice one, surely towards the end of his times playing in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

New clubhouse open now. Fabulous views over much of the course really whets the appetite. Now just need to find my spot at the bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Passed by today, great to see the place was busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Sadly jack nicklaus has pulled out of Mondays celebrity am am. Very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

TLOA72 wrote: »
    Sadly jack nicklaus has pulled out of Mondays celebrity am am. Very disappointed.

Ive heard he's coming back in September to play a round with the 3 lads who were part of his team. The gentleman that he is, I'm sure he will make it up to them for the disappointment of his late withdrawal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement