Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

only speculating of course - but at €1,400 (+ more club competitions) I think they would get 400 new members with reasonable ease over a 2 year period.

That obviously isn't the business model they are pursuing. I reckon NAMA has decided to maintain it (and prepare it for sale) as a premium venue aimed mostly at visitors and the corporate market. That's their call and I can see their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

First Up wrote: »
    That obviously isn't the business model they are pursuing. I reckon NAMA has decided to maintain it (and prepare it for sale) as a premium venue aimed mostly at visitors and the corporate market. That's their call and I can see their point.

Seems to be the case alright - NAMA sold it last year by the way (€28mil I think)

I'm just having a little moan about the set-up as I would love to join it if things were a little different.

Seems to be the case alright - NAMA sold it last year by the way (€28mil I think)

I'm just having a little moan about the set-up as I would love to join it if things were a little different.

Yeah, forgot they sold it.
    It was a very similar arrangement when it first opened so just a continuation of the same approach. They run opens pretty regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think the Portmarnock Links Club is different than many, in essence we are a golf society with GUI affiliation. The club is set up as normal and we lease tee time slots from the hotel from our yearly dues. The hotel allow us to have a semi open on Wednesdays and a club comp on Sundays.

If they opened to 400 tomorrow at €1400 I reckon they would sell them all in less than 3 months but that is not their model, they make money from tourist green fees. At their peak they were getting in excess of 40k rounds per year.
    This year i would expect the green fee to rise quite a bit, I think €60 mid-week and €80 weekend would be about right.

The only real reason to have a club there at all is that it allows them to run open days and adds a sense of legitimacy to what is essentially a hotel resort course.

I have been in 3 other clubs (i am a still shareholder in Roganstown) and none are like Portmarnock Links, I think that most PL members joined as the competition days suited them. I try and play every Wednesday as i am in the lucky position that work allows me to take some time off then, i then try and play every medal (one a month). So that works out on average at say 40 weds, 12 Sundays, captains day, presidents day and some interclub matches. If we say the average round is €50 then i am getting close to €3000 worth of golf for €2000 (existing members get a 20% reduction if we pay before the end of December).

Now if I can’t play Wednesdays then yes it’s a very expensive option. I guess it’s just a different model than most clubs and its either going to suit or not.

I can say that I love it, I have been 5 years there and it has always been fun, challenging and rewarding. If I compare it against the €15k hello money i paid back in the day for Roganstown its money better spent.

J

I think the Portmarnock Links Club is different than many, in essence we are a golf society with GUI affiliation. The club is set up as normal and we lease tee time slots from the hotel from our yearly dues. The hotel allow us to have a semi open on Wednesdays and a club comp on Sundays.

If they opened to 400 tomorrow at €1400 I reckon they would sell them all in less than 3 months but that is not their model, they make money from tourist green fees. At their peak they were getting in excess of 40k rounds per year.
    This year i would expect the green fee to rise quite a bit, I think €60 mid-week and €80 weekend would be about right.

The only real reason to have a club there at all is that it allows them to run open days and adds a sense of legitimacy to what is essentially a hotel resort course.

I have been in 3 other clubs (i am a still shareholder in Roganstown) and none are like Portmarnock Links, I think that most PL members joined as the competition days suited them. I try and play every Wednesday as i am in the lucky position that work allows me to take some time off then, i then try and play every medal (one a month). So that works out on average at say 40 weds, 12 Sundays, captains day, presidents day and some interclub matches. If we say the average round is €50 then i am getting close to €3000 worth of golf for €2000 (existing members get a 20% reduction if we pay before the end of December).

Now if I can’t play Wednesdays then yes it’s a very expensive option. I guess it’s just a different model than most clubs and its either going to suit or not.

I can say that I love it, I have been 5 years there and it has always been fun, challenging and rewarding. If I compare it against the €15k hello money i paid back in the day for Roganstown its money better spent.

J

Yes, I think regular Wed availaiblity is key here given that Sunday is the only other competiton day - most working players don't have a Wed option.

However I will be playing there on Wed 28th (weather permitting) and am very much looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks J, nice insight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Personally I'm thankful for the Portmarnock Links model, and I really wish there were a few more top class links like it.

The reduced membership model means that most of us in Ireland have a viable option to play a full 18 holes in great conditions on a Saturday or Sunday morning during winter.

Keep members out says I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It may look like we are blessed with links courses on the east coast.

But - joining one , getting into one and getting to the one that suits you is not as simple as it looks.

If you just want to play links golf you have 11 courses (Not counting Sutton) from Arklow up to Seapoint.

One Group

Arklow
    St Anne's
    Corballis
    Laytown and Bettystown
    Seapoint

Then The Higher Level

The Island
    Portmarnock Links
    Portmarnock
    Royal Dublin
    The European Club
    County Louth

A great selection - but when you look into it - as I did for too long.

A) You will not get into some of them , you are going to pay big money for others and some are too hard to head down, jump on, and play 9 in 2 hours and home.

Above is also a large geographical spread of 130 km.
    so - you are going to be reduced to 1/2 of them realistically.

So - I know that a golfer that will only join a links is a rare enough thing , but if you are that way inclined , your options start falling off the plate fairly quick.

Your a lucky lad if you live in Arklow - or North County Dublin/Louth. Because you have a chance of playing great links, at a reasonable price. In the past even most of the reasonable ones were not reasonable.

So Portmarnock Links - whilst it was in NAMA and had that business model , was a rare enough opportunity to play Links, at that level, at that price, with no real entry control (except cost).

If things do pick up in economy - that opportunity may be gone soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

It may look like we are blessed with links courses on the east coast.

But - joining one , getting into one and getting to the one that suits you is not as simple as it looks.

If you just want to play links golf you have 11 courses (Not counting Sutton) from Arklow up to Seapoint.

One Group

Arklow
    St Anne's
    Corballis
    Laytown and Bettystown
    Seapoint

Then The Higher Level

The Island
    Portmarnock Links
    Portmarnock
    Royal Dublin
    The European Club
    County Louth

A great selection - but when you look into it - as I did for too long.

A) You will not get into some of them , you are going to pay big money for others and some are too hard to head down, jump on, and play 9 in 2 hours and home.

Above is also a large geographical spread of 130 km.
    so - you are going to be reduced to 1/2 of them realistically.

So - I know that a golfer that will only join a links is a rare enough thing , but if you are that way inclined , your options start falling off the plate fairly quick.

Your a lucky lad if you live in Arklow - or North County Dublin/Louth. Because you have a chance of playing great links, at a reasonable price. In the past even most of the reasonable ones were not reasonable.

So Portmarnock Links - whilst it was in NAMA and had that business model , was a rare enough opportunity to play Links, at that level, at that price, with not real entry control (except cost).

If things do pick up in economy - that opportunity may be gone soon enough.

I always considered St Anne's in the same league as Royal Dublin and The Island, also you left out Rush in the Links courses above albeit 9 - holes it deserves a mention

• Advertisement

Knew - I'd miss one, no was thinking 18 hole courses , but deserves a mention (yes).

Well people don't rate St Anne's and in fact Royal Dublin in same league as The Island.

But, hard to make any sort of groups of courses - but most lads wouldn't disagree with the general groups above.

They are technically are dived that way by cost anyway. I accept that is not a rating of a course but.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

I always considered St Anne's in the same league as Royal Dublin and The Island, also you left out Rush in the Links courses above albeit 9 - holes it deserves a mention

Seapoint also in wrong group - :)

leonards wrote: »
    Seapoint also in wrong group - :)

:D

Never do golf lists.

Knew - I'd miss one, no was thinking 18 hole courses , but deserves a mention (yes).

Well people don't rate St Anne's and in fact Royal Dublin in same league as The Island.

But, hard to make any sort of groups of courses - but most lads wouldn't disagree with the general groups above.

They are technically are dived that way by cost anyway. I accept that is not a rating of a course but.

It's just my own preference, I have actually changed my mind as it's a long time since I played it but I think The Island is a class apart in comparison to Royal Dublin and St Anne's IMO.

It's just my own preference, I have actually changed my mind as it's a long time since I played it but I think The Island is a class apart in comparison to Royal Dublin and St Anne's IMO.

Agree.

Sure The Island is the best of them all (IN MY OPINION)

Agree.

Sure The Island is the best of them all (IN MY OPINION)

The Island first, Royal Dublin second and St Annes a very distant third. If it was a race, St Annes would be lapped.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    The Island first, Royal Dublin second and St Annes a very distant third. If it was a race, St Annes would be lapped.

Agree. Haven't played Royal Dublin,
    Walked it and liked look of it.
    But Royal Dublin gets fairly poor reviews. From people I'd respect.

Good course any time I played it.

quality course -always in excellent condition - looked after very well, greens, teeboxes, bunkers always immaculate.

not a spectacular layout by any means - but a very enjoyable and a little bit special in my view

quality course -always in excellent condition - looked after very well, greens, teeboxes, bunkers always immaculate.

not a spectacular layout by any means - but a very enjoyable and a little bit special in my view

Well that is the problem in a way. I'm in Ireland, I can play spectacular layouts for 50 euro out west
    And on top courses for 50 -70 euro in winter.

Royal Dublin has great history. Great condition . But is that going to do it for golfers who can play great layouts.

How much is a round 100 euro ? +

Again I think I will like it. But big money and little or no Opens.

Just checked 75 winter
    150 euro summer.

Must play a nice day before March 17th

yeah the green fees are pretty steep and difficult to justify - especially for a casual non-competitive game.

I got lucky last summer and got a couple of free rounds on it as part of the barton shield (albeit foursomes).

As a general rule I would never consider paying more than €50 for a round in Ireland except maybe Portmarnock (Old) at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ymayma

just a heads up for anyone interested.. saint annes have a promo on at the mo, lifestyle membership no hello money and sub of €1,150ish, 7 days golf no vote.. only available to under 40's and sub reverts to reg amount once u reach 40 and hello money to be paid if u decide to stay on.
    ive an interview meself this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

If anyone's interested, Teetimes have Portmarnock Links, Monday 2nd Feb for €30, -Also Mon 16th Feb at €30

- bit better than €45 normally quoted, Is this worth it, or has anyone got a better price ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Played it again yesterday, greens were superb again after being disappointing over Christmas.

That 13th green is a total disaster in every way though, real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

whizbang wrote: »
    If anyone's interested, Teetimes have Portmarnock Links, Monday 2nd Feb for €30, -Also Mon 16th Feb at €30

- bit better than €45 normally quoted, Is this worth it, or has anyone got a better price ?

Those dates are both open competitions on the 2nd and 16th February old stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

f22 wrote: »
    Played it again yesterday, greens were superb again after being disappointing over Christmas.

nice to hear the course its in good shape. I haven't played it in years but really looking forward to the Boards Outing there in February.

Join the Society guys and play with us on Saturday 21st Feb, you won't get a better rate for a Saturday than playing with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Playing on Saturday. First time so looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Me too. Qualifying in Jan :)

My 2 mates off 12.4 are in for a surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Whyner wrote: »
    Me too. Qualifying in Jan :)

My 2 mates off 12.4 are in for a surprise

They might be lucky and it will be reduction only.:)

Can't believe you have not played it! Offer still stands for any wed you want to go out .

J

Cheers and will definitely take it up. Out with Benicetomonty and his crew so will fill you in on how we get on

• Advertisement

Played it today - excellent condition - lovely day for it - pity about the golf !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fourinarow

@golfgraffix Do you have to play with a member in the open on a Wednesday? Are there any other opens on throughout the year? And finally, can you book any of the above online?
    Thanks in advance! Cracking course by the way :-)

fourinarow wrote: »
    @golfgraffix Do you have to play with a member in the open on a Wednesday? Are there any other opens on throughout the year? And finally, can you book any of the above online?
    Thanks in advance! Cracking course by the way :-)

Wednesdays are semi opens so yes it must be with a member. I think there is a list of opens on the website, dot think you can book online but i maybe wrong.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Played it today. In good shape for this time of year.
    Greens very good as always.

Good to see the new owners are doing a lot of work around the course.
    I reckon they'll have it in great shape for the summer.

Hopefully the green fees aren't hiked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

ib_sanf wrote: »
    Played it today. In good shape for this time of year.
    Greens very good as always.

Good to see the new owners are doing a lot of work around the course.
    I reckon they'll have it in great shape for the summer.

Hopefully the green fees aren't hiked up

played it on Sat too. Work ongoing to the sod wall bunkers which, based on their visual quality and positioning, makes the course a joy to play.

Played Saturday and really enjoyed it. Will know where to go next time round but thought the course was in great nick. Greens were running very fast and very true.

Only gripe I had was the tees are very very forward. Was bordering on playing off the ladies tees on a number of holes. Would like to give it a bash of the back sticks

Played Saturday and really enjoyed it. Will know where to go next time round but thought the course was in great nick. Greens were running very fast and very true.

Only gripe I had was the tees are very very forward. Was bordering on playing off the ladies tees on a number of holes. Would like to give it a bash of the back sticks

Taking into account I've played it a few times in summer conditions off back tees and the cold air last Saturday, you would have been hitting similar clubs into most holes...maybe even a bit shorter in the summer if you can hit low irons down the hard fairways.

WacoKid wrote: »
    Taking into account I've played it a few times in summer conditions off back tees and the cold air last Saturday, you would have been hitting similar clubs into most holes...maybe even a bit shorter in the summer if you can hit low irons down the hard fairways.

That's fine but there were too many drive and wedges holes on Saturday. There was nearly a gap of 50 yards on most holes between the greens and whites. Never mind the blue markers

That's fine but there were too many drive and wedges holes on Saturday. There was nearly a gap of 50 yards on most holes between the greens and whites. Never mind the blue markers

Oh, I meant whites being the back tees...forgot about the them blue ones way back there!

• Advertisement

We only have one comp off the blues each year and that is the club chsmpionship, all others are generally white and during the winter off the most forward part of the White tee boxes.

During busy winter comps and society days they will play off the green. Personally I don't like the greens but in fairness on big visitor days it can be a very slow course.

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We only have one comp off the blues each year and that is the club chsmpionship, all others are generally white and during the winter off the most forward part of the White tee boxes.

During busy winter comps and society days they will play off the green. Personally I don't like the greens but in fairness on big visitor days it can be a very slow course.

J

I've seen that a bit more than usual this Winter - tees pushed far forward - suppose it makes a quicker round which suits daylight at this time of the year, Winter Leagues too...

J

Some of the Blue tees look unreal. Greens wouldn't have been a problem if they were towards the back of the teeboxes but most were hanging off the front of them.

Didn't stop me enjoying the course and was interesting to see the amount of work going on with new bunkering.

Looking forward to getting back and playing it again

Played the blue stakes today and was a great challenge really enjoyed the day, just can't wait to play it again as I hadn't played it before and made some rookie mistakes.
    Had a birdie putt the length of the new 13th green and was delighted to come away with two putts as the green really looks sick.
    Other Greens are in great condition tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

J

It's a slog lol, you really have to stay in the zone on busy days.

What are they doing with all the diggers on the course at the moment?

What are they doing with all the diggers on the course at the moment?

New owners have started putting some money in, upgrades are mainly cosmetic for now. Cart paths, tee signs, distance disks. I think there is some major work on the sprinkler system too.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

New owners have started putting some money in, upgrades are mainly cosmetic for now. Cart paths, tee signs, distance disks. I think there is some major work on the sprinkler system too.

J

Did they put more sand the bunkers already?

Did they put more sand the bunkers already?

Not sure to be honest, I haven't been out there in two weeks.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Tried to book online for Tuesday but brs booking site appears to be down. Can anyone else get in?

Seem to be working fine http://book.golfswitch.com/portal/?CUSTID=PTM

You mentioned BRS but they dont use that booking engine.

You could always call the shop - 018460611.

Tuesday is the pro-am winter series so it can be very busy.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

SCC and JSC on 10th April (disappointly a Fri). No fee indicated and guessing it'll just be 18 holes given it's still quite early in the year so daylight may be an issue for 36. Wonder what tees will be in use for that, TopGolfer website lists the distance as 6444 which I presume is meters?

• Advertisement
Advertisement