Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt 'considers time limit for dole recipients'

Options
  • 24-01-2012 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

It is reported the Government is considering a time limit for social welfare recipients to find an alternative to being on the dole.

According to reports in the Irish Daily Mail, those on social welfare will have their payments cut if they do not meet the deadline.

The report says that every unemployed person in the country will be given what is termed a "prediction of exit" date under the plan to be unveiled next week.

It is understood that if they fail to make progress by this date, they will be called to an interview to explain why and could have their benefits cut if they fail to cooperate.

Don't know how I feel about that. I've been out of work for nearly two years now and things are getting worse by the week. I went through three of my local papers this morning and combined they contained a grand total of six vacancies throughout the county. Where do they expect these jobs to come from?

Haven't heard anything on the news about this. A case of Daily Mail 'burn the scroungers' sensationalism?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It's being widely reported in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They should aim this at the long term recipients. Those who were on the dole during the boom. I cannot see how they could possibly go after those who have lost their jobs in thr last two years when the government themselves have done nothing to promote job creation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I cannot see how they could possibly go after those who have lost their jobs in thr last two years when the government themselves have done nothing to promote job creation.

Yeah right! I think it was about two months after I signed on I was called for an interview to basically explain myself re my unemployment. It was as if 'how dare you be out of work and claiming job seekers' by some jumped up little jobsworth who hasn't been in existence for as long as I was working :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement