Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Doing the driving test without owning a car?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I know this may have been asked before, but I'd just like some clarification.

I received my first learners permit in July 2011.

For over a year I was learning under one instructor, before I realised that he wasn't much use (my fault for not doing enough research before hand).

At the beginning of this year, I found out that you're suppose to do the certain EDT lessons, so I switched instructors. The second guy was better and was able to show more progress in a short period of time.

So I did a lesson each week, then there were gaps, either he was sick or I was away. Anyway, this week I just finished the twelve EDT.

Before I found out about the EDT lessons, I made an application for sitting a test last December. I had thought that the application hadn't gone through, but it was just pending because I hadn't done the EDT.

So this morning the application had gone through, and I've been given a schedule for the test on the 26th of June.

I have been practicing with my Father, insured on my Mother's car for the past few weeks. With him just practicing the basics, left hand turns and one or two right hand turns in a loop around an industrial estate with a few cars on the road.

Gradually he said he'll build things up.

Ideally I should really be at the stage and level I am now about over a year ago, but I kept with a bad instructor who was getting me to drive around without much progress.

The second instructor said that I do have good driving ability but just need a lot more practice and shouldn't really do the test yet.

The problem is, my learner permit will expire in July, so I need to do the test at least once before then.

Since it's on a Wednesday, my Mother will need her car for work. Last December I did state on the application that I need a vehicle.

So what would be the procedure in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

I did my test without owning a vehicle. Had my full license for about a year or so before I bought a car! If you have no access to a car, you can most likely rent one from your driving instructor? I took my test in my driving instructors car. You will be covered by his insurance and you will have a fully licensed driver in the car with you at all times! (you would assume that the tester has a full license but some of them I wouldn't be so sure!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

rent it from your instructor.

owning a car, or even having regular access to one is not a requirement to obtain a license. The majority of instructors will have a set price to rent a car for the test, usually the price includes a pretest lesson to get accustomed to the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

I know this may have been asked before, but I'd just like some clarification.

I received my first learners permit in July 2011.

For over a year I was learning under one instructor, before I realised that he wasn't much use (my fault for not doing enough research before hand).

At the beginning of this year, I found out that you're suppose to do the certain EDT lessons, so I switched instructors. The second guy was better and was able to show more progress in a short period of time.

So I did a lesson each week, then there were gaps, either he was sick or I was away. Anyway, this week I just finished the twelve EDT.

Before I found out about the EDT lessons, I made an application for sitting a test last December. I had thought that the application hadn't gone through, but it was just pending because I hadn't done the EDT.

So this morning the application had gone through, and I've been given a schedule for the test on the 26th of June.

I have been practicing with my Father, insured on my Mother's car for the past few weeks. With him just practicing the basics, left hand turns and one or two right hand turns in a loop around an industrial estate with a few cars on the road.

Gradually he said he'll build things up.

Ideally I should really be at the stage and level I am now about over a year ago, but I kept with a bad instructor who was getting me to drive around without much progress.

The second instructor said that I do have good driving ability but just need a lot more practice and shouldn't really do the test yet.

The problem is, my learner permit will expire in July, so I need to do the test at least once before then.

Since it's on a Wednesday, my Mother will need her car for work. Last December I did state on the application that I need a vehicle.

So what would be the procedure in this situation?

You don't have to take this test date. You can postpone this date twice without losing fee, you can then renew your licence.
    Keep practicing

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    You don't have to take this test date. You can postpone this date twice without losing fee, you can then renew your licence.
    Keep practicing

Hmmmm.....perhaps I actually should do that. Maybe I could postpone it even by three or four weeks, which would give me more time to practice and even get a 'pretest' lesson in.

It's likely that I won't pass it anyway, but I read somewhere that you have a test after the provisional license expires, provided that it was 'booked before' it expired.

It's likely that I won't pass it anyway, but I read somewhere that you have a test after the provisional license expires, provided that it was 'booked before' it expired.

No that's incorrect
    If you don't have a valid permit on day of test you won't be taken on test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

No that's incorrect
    If you don't have a valid permit on day of test you won't be taken on test.

I have it set for July the 19th, just days before it expires.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Tell your mother to get the bus :D

Or drop her off at work and drive to the test centre

I have it set for July the 19th, just days before it expires.

You have plenty of time to be ready for that date

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Keep practicing

As the man says but, you've got around 7 weeks til your test. You could prepare for it as best you can then reassess the situation nearer your date. You can cancel up to 10 days before your date if you need to and not lose your fee if its as described above.

Advertisement